[MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.17

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.17

Post by Narc »

PiggyWhiskey wrote:I've seem to run into an issue registering an Ore Field that is surrounded by another Ore Field.
Basically, it overwrites the first with the second. and if you try to re-add it, it still only keeps one.[...]
Yeah, that's a limitation of the design: if two sites have the same name, they essentially overwrite each other; this makes keeping the default names slightly risky, but when it happens you should be nearby enough to fix it. The best suggestion I have (being this is a fairly rare case) is to view the site you currently have and rename it (which is only available in the remote viewer). You should then be able to record the other site, which will get the default name and which you may also rename or keep, as you prefer.

What I'd do is probably just track the finite field, since I'm likely to need that info before I need the one about the infinite one, but if I really wanted both, a rename would be it.

Anson
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Anson »

Narc wrote:Yeah, that's a limitation of the design: if two sites have the same name, they essentially overwrite each other; this makes keeping the default names slightly risky, but when it happens you should be nearby enough to fix it.
how do you do the automatic names ?
by combining direction (N,NE,E,etc, thus a 45 degree angle for the same letter) and distance ?

although not very likely, i had the "luck" to get identical names on several occasions for quite different fields that were not in or next to each other (eg 44 degrees apart, and distance around 350 once, and around 500 in another case) :-(
now i have started building an outpost 16km away from my home base, which ensures the same letter for all fields, and probably will have quite a few fields with very similar (or even identical: the RNG is always my biggest enemy) distances.

but thanks to your hint with renaming the fields, that won't be a problem for me any longer. maybe you could add an option to have templates for those autonames, with variables for ore, compass (letter or angle), direction, coordinates, and some count. examples: "%O %C %D-%N" -> "iron NE 675-2", or "%N (%X,%Y)" -> "2 (16834,-576)"

ps: even more important than such a template would be the ability to scroll the list (or page through the list) and to sort the list eg according to ore type, or direction or distance, since i like to mark a lot of good/big ore fields for later use and then have trouble finding them later in the long list or even out of the bottom of my big screen :-)

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

Narc wrote:
PiggyWhiskey wrote:I've seem to run into an issue registering an Ore Field that is surrounded by another Ore Field.
Basically, it overwrites the first with the second. and if you try to re-add it, it still only keeps one.[...]
Yeah, that's a limitation of the design: if two sites have the same name, they essentially overwrite each other; this makes keeping the default names slightly risky, but when it happens you should be nearby enough to fix it. The best suggestion I have (being this is a fairly rare case) is to view the site you currently have and rename it (which is only available in the remote viewer). You should then be able to record the other site, which will get the default name and which you may also rename or keep, as you prefer.

What I'd do is probably just track the finite field, since I'm likely to need that info before I need the one about the infinite one, but if I really wanted both, a rename would be it.

I just realised that the "Name" of the field was actually the location, not Location+Ore type. Oops.
Renaming the fields worked perfectly fine. :)

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Anson wrote:how do you do the automatic names ?
by combining direction (N,NE,E,etc, thus a 45 degree angle for the same letter) and distance ?

although not very likely, i had the "luck" to get identical names on several occasions for quite different fields that were not in or next to each other (eg 44 degrees apart, and distance around 350 once, and around 500 in another case) :-(
Yup, that's how it works, and yes, it has that potential failing (though oddly enough I've only seen it once in my own games, with two fields that were in spitting distance of each other).
Anson wrote:but thanks to your hint with renaming the fields, that won't be a problem for me any longer. maybe you could add an option to have templates for those autonames, with variables for ore, compass (letter or angle), direction, coordinates, and some count. examples: "%O %C %D-%N" -> "iron NE 675-2", or "%N (%X,%Y)" -> "2 (16834,-576)"
I didn't even think of that, but it seems obvious in retrospect. I've saved the idea now.
Anson wrote:ps: even more important than such a template would be the ability to scroll the list (or page through the list) and to sort the list eg according to ore type, or direction or distance, since i like to mark a lot of good/big ore fields for later use and then have trouble finding them later in the long list or even out of the bottom of my big screen :-)
Yup, I definitely agree. Relatedly, if you're getting some UPS drops every once in a while, it's probably from those big ore fields you've got stored -- every 10-ish seconds, YARM is querying every ore entity in every registered field to ask it how much it's still got inside; an optimization is currently planned but goodness knows when I'll actually get time for it.

PiggyWhiskey wrote:I just realised that the "Name" of the field was actually the location, not Location+Ore type. Oops.
Oh, huh. Yeah, I understand now what happened. Glad you've got that sorted, and I'll try to fix it better in future (I never expected my early temporary solution to last for so long).

TiTaN_3000
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TiTaN_3000 »

hey, can we get an updated version for 0.14 please ?

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

TiTaN_3000 wrote:hey, can we get an updated version for 0.14 please ?
Certainly, but it might be a bit longer; 0.14 certainly took me by surprise and it's been a couple of days since I was near a computer. Hopefully it'll be a simple update.

Later edit: All done. Find it in the usual place, or check release notes (spoiler: nothing changed).

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

orzelek wrote:
steinio wrote:Well no the sand ressource is not all the desert sand.
It's like coal a pile of sand which is mined like coal but with a sand miner item.

But if there are any reason against it i will accept it.

Greetings steinio
Afaik if you run Homeworld without RSO then it places the resource on ever sand tile or at least on a lot of them.

With RSO sand is spawned by normal rules so it's not everywhere then.
So is it possible to detect RSO and enable YARM for sand if so?
Would be really kind.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

steinio wrote:
orzelek wrote:With RSO sand is spawned by normal rules so it's not everywhere then.
So is it possible to detect RSO and enable YARM for sand if so?
Would be really kind.
Yep, I can do that. At the moment, I'm in the middle of a major update, but this will be on my list for when it's done.

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

This looks like a great mod, can't wait to try it in a larger game :)

I got one question regarding multiplayer: Is the state synced? I.e., if one player adds an ore patch to be monitored, do the others get it, too? (And if not, is there an easy way to sync? It'd be rather tedious if everyone had to add all the ore patches themselves.)

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Ralfinator wrote:This looks like a great mod, can't wait to try it in a larger game :)

I got one question regarding multiplayer: Is the state synced? I.e., if one player adds an ore patch to be monitored, do the others get it, too? (And if not, is there an easy way to sync? It'd be rather tedious if everyone had to add all the ore patches themselves.)
The sites are recorded per force -- if you're playing normal co-op multiplayer, everyone sees all the sites.

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

That's what I was hoping for, great :)

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

I must be doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out how to use this mod. I put the zip file into the [mod] folder, upgraded Factorio and the mod to the latest versions (0.14.5 and 0.7.106), and loaded up an old map with it. All I get is a new "list-like" icon in the top-left corner, which I can click to toggle between two states. Nothing else. On the screenshots here I can see another icon below the first one (a gear wheel), but that doesn't show up for me. I found no way to register ore patches or do anything with the mod really. I tried creating a new game, and disabling all the other mods -- same result.

Here's a screenshot of my new game: https://imgur.com/a/vIcMN . I now feel incredibly stupid^^

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

You need to research the technology, build the scanner item, hold the scanner item and click on an ore patch, wait 10 seconds, profit (or at least become more knowledgeable)

Ralfinator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Ralfinator »

D'Oh. Okay, I didn't think of checking the research window. *oops*

Still, mentioning *something* about how to use YARM in the README.md may be useful :)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Ralfinator wrote:D'Oh. Okay, I didn't think of checking the research window. *oops*

Still, mentioning *something* about how to use YARM in the README.md may be useful :)

I forget to check research all the time and spend a good five minutes looking through all the items before I realize I need to research it......

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Is there a way to reorder the list? I'd like to be able to group via resource type, and then as usual anything under 10% goes to the top/ highlighted.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Ghoulish wrote:Is there a way to reorder the list? I'd like to be able to group via resource type, and then as usual anything under 10% goes to the top/ highlighted.
Not currently, sorry. The time needed to work on YARM has not been plentiful. Filters, sorting, grouping, and performance improvements are all on the wish list.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Narc wrote:
Ghoulish wrote:Is there a way to reorder the list? I'd like to be able to group via resource type, and then as usual anything under 10% goes to the top/ highlighted.
Not currently, sorry. The time needed to work on YARM has not been plentiful. Filters, sorting, grouping, and performance improvements are all on the wish list.
Must have mod even without those additions! Am grateful to have it at all :)
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

RikkiLook
Inserter
Inserter

Post by RikkiLook »

Translations into Russian. (YARM_0.7.301)
Attachments
ru.zip
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

RikkiLook wrote:Translations into Russian. (YARM_0.7.301)
Nice, thank you! I'll take care of it ASAP.

Return to “Mods”