[MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.17

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Meppi
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.15

Post by Meppi »

Narc wrote:That's really awesome! Can I assume you'd like me to pick those up into the official package?
Sure, feel free to include them if you like.

UntouchedWagons
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by UntouchedWagons »

I wish there was a background for the information panel. My base is in the desert and reading lime green text against a yellow background is difficult.

ribsngibs
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ribsngibs »

Super stupid interface question: when I click the "X" button to delete a site, it changes to a Red X, whose purpose seems to be "Are you sure? Click the red X to really delete the site" How do I say "no" and cancel the deletion? I tried right clicking, shift clicking, lots of other stuff. It always ends up deleting the site.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

ribsngibs wrote:Super stupid interface question: when I click the "X" button to delete a site, it changes to a Red X, whose purpose seems to be "Are you sure? Click the red X to really delete the site" How do I say "no" and cancel the deletion? I tried right clicking, shift clicking, lots of other stuff. It always ends up deleting the site.
Just wait. It'll time out.

underjolt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by underjolt »

I get a lot of lag when I am tracking 4 or more resources. Anything I can do besides limiting how many I actively monitor?

binbinhfr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by binbinhfr »

underjolt wrote:I get a lot of lag when I am tracking 4 or more resources. Anything I can do besides limiting how many I actively monitor?
In config.lua, you could try to increase ticks_between_checks to more than 600 (= 1 check per 10 sec)
My mods on the Factorio Mod Portal :geek:

underjolt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by underjolt »

binbinhfr wrote:
underjolt wrote:I get a lot of lag when I am tracking 4 or more resources. Anything I can do besides limiting how many I actively monitor?
In config.lua, you could try to increase ticks_between_checks to more than 600 (= 1 check per 10 sec)
That did the trick. I increased it to 2300 as I remember seeing that somewhere. Thanks for your help.

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

I have been thinking about the problem with YARM and not being able to count production from endless resources. Would it be possible to add a hidden variable that ticks down each time a resource is produced from that site (unlike the amount, which only ticks down some times) and use that to count output rather than the amount? The changes to to resmon would be minimal (just an if statement inside of count_deposits), but I am not sure how to add the hidden variable to the resource entities at spawning or to get the mining drills to decrement it when they produce a resource.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

GodricSeer wrote:I have been thinking about the problem with YARM and not being able to count production from endless resources.
Problem? It tells you when the endless resources reach the minimum production -- that's still pretty useful.
GodricSeer wrote:[...]but I am not sure how to [...] get the mining drills to [say something] when they produce a resource.
Yeah. That's the problem.

On the other hand, LuaEntity.drop_target looks interesting for possibly detecting work stoppages (bearing in mind we'd have to query all the mining drills to find their drop targets to check if they're full -- this is not exceptionally tricky). Do mining drills have an output inventory?

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

I am playing with the endless resources mod, and in the early game when you are limited to the starting coal patch, not knowing how much coal/min is being output by the site (and therefore the upper limit of the power your factory can run on) is somewhat problematic.

If we can find all the mining drills on the site (and account for the fact that they can be over more than one resource tile), then perhaps we could use the pollution production: http://lua-api.factorio.com/0.12.33/Lua ... s_per_tick and the properties of the resource tile/miner to produce a time averaged value. The emissions per tick will tell us if the miner is running (>0 or ==0), and we can calculate the average production for that miner fairly easily (again accounting for the averaging of multiple tiles). For an endless resource I don't think having a perfect count of output is as important, but a close estimate would be incredibly helpful.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

GodricSeer wrote:I am playing with the endless resources mod, and in the early game when you are limited to the starting coal patch, not knowing how much coal/min is being output by the site (and therefore the upper limit of the power your factory can run on) is somewhat problematic.
Ah, I see, thank you for highlighting the problem. In that case you really don't care about the resource patch at all, but always only about the stuff coming out of the drills.
GodricSeer wrote:If we can find all the mining drills on the site (and account for the fact that they can be over more than one resource tile), then perhaps we could use the pollution production: http://lua-api.factorio.com/0.12.33/Lua ... s_per_tick and the properties of the resource tile/miner to produce a time averaged value.
Ah, I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding here -- emissions per tick is a constant that tells you how much pollution a miner adds every tick while it's running, not how much pollution it made in the previous tick (or will make in the current tick). You can only sample pollution in a chunk (32x32 tiles, IIRC?), and pollution spreads, so your nearby (or not so nearby) furnaces/boilers/anything will be adding pollution while the regular spreading algorithm is removing it. In short, the necessary data just isn't there in pollution levels.
GodricSeer wrote:For an endless resource I don't think having a perfect count of output is as important, but a close estimate would be incredibly helpful.
I agree, but I'm not sure that's any easier than doing a mostly-precise count. The most major issue I see with that is a need to be querying potentially quite a lot of miners every tick, where YARM is already pretty damn slow. Still, it should be around an order of magnitude fewer miners than ore entities, so maybe that's not a big deal.

I'll need to play around with options here -- it might not even be something for YARM to do; how about a mining drill combinator? -- to see what kind of useful data I can pull out of the game. No promises on when that'll be, and feel free to investigate first and keep feeding me leads (even if they turn out not to work, they're good to have as I might simply not have thought of them).

GodricSeer
Inserter
Inserter

Post by GodricSeer »

Narc wrote:The most major issue I see with that is a need to be querying potentially quite a lot of miners every tick, where YARM is already pretty damn slow. Still, it should be around an order of magnitude fewer miners than ore entities, so maybe that's not a big deal.
That is what I am worried about too. There are a lot of ore entities but the work per tick is fairly small (you just see how much is left in each one and add it up), but if you start querying miners, the amount of work per miner will likely be quite a bit more (especially if you need to then look at each ore entity under it).
Narc wrote:it might not even be something for YARM to do; how about a mining drill combinator?
I would be perfectly happy with this. If I could hook up each miner to a circuit network, and the miner output a 1 signal for 1 tick every time it output an item (or even every time it completed a cycle, ignoring whether it was actually successful in outputting an item. I can multiply by 0.5 by hand for the minimum output of an endless resource). However at this point it might just be easier to add miner outputs to the production window much like assembled items. And as you say, if that's the case, perhaps YARM isn't the place to implement this.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

GodricSeer wrote:There are a lot of ore entities but the work per tick is fairly small (you just see how much is left in each one and add it up), but if you start querying miners, the amount of work per miner will likely be quite a bit more (especially if you need to then look at each ore entity under it).
I think there might be a misunderstanding here, as well -- you'd be querying only the miner about whether it made an ore this tick or not (don't need to worry about the ore entities under it). There are (by definition) somewhere between 1/9th to 1/25th the number of miners compared to the number of ore entities (which are what YARM looks at now!), so about an order of magnitude fewer entities to query. It might not be that big an impact -- with the caveat that you must be doing it every tick, where ore entities can wait between queries.
GodricSeer wrote:
Narc wrote:it might not even be something for YARM to do; how about a mining drill combinator?
I would be perfectly happy with this. If I could hook up each miner to a circuit network, and the miner output a 1 signal for 1 tick every time it output an item (or even every time it completed a cycle, ignoring whether it was actually successful in outputting an item. I can multiply by 0.5 by hand for the minimum output of an endless resource).
Or it could just directly output a virtual signal, call it "ore mined in the last minute". Once we can keep track of when resources are mined, it's not that hard to keep a running tally like that (one could do it with combinators, too, but that's probably much more effort than doing it in Lua; but there's no reason you couldn't also have a "ore mined in the last tick" signal).
GodricSeer wrote:However at this point it might just be easier to add miner outputs to the production window much like assembled items. And as you say, if that's the case, perhaps YARM isn't the place to implement this.
Uh, yeah, I'm not sure that's even moddable.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.12+] YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) v0.7.17

Post by Narc »

Hey, everybody, give a big round of applause and a thank you to jockeril for the Hebrew translation that just made it into YARM v0.7.17 (direct download)!

Also, I don't recall if I mentioned the v0.7.16 update (release link), but it had a fix to a very rare issue wherein your game could fail to have things in place sometimes. I tagged it pre-release at the time, as it's a bit of a hack, but since it won't hurt anything, it's also gone into the new one.

DutchJer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DutchJer »

I have a iron patch near a biter nest scanned with yarm, when i went to take a look at it, i died to the biters. Dont think this was intented to happen.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

DutchJer wrote:I have a iron patch near a biter nest scanned with yarm, when i went to take a look at it, i died to the biters. Dont think this was intented to happen.
No, it really isn't. I'll have to take a look at that.

Litcube
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Litcube »

You know what would be neat? Sorting by ore type, the yield!

Awesome work, by the way.

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MiniMe943 »

The icons that someone made a couple pages back aren't in 0.7.17? Why is that?

bryreichle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bryreichle »

Is this mod going to be updated for version .13? If its dead is there somthing else out there that i could use? I really loved all the information this mod provides to the user, i really appreciate the work that went into it. Thank you!

SpeedDaemon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SpeedDaemon »

bryreichle wrote:Is this mod going to be updated for version .13? If its dead is there somthing else out there that i could use? I really loved all the information this mod provides to the user, i really appreciate the work that went into it. Thank you!
Well, .7.17 only came out a few weeks ago, so hopefully it's not abandoned.

I've been fiddling with it, and got it to stop erroring out, but it doesn't actually *work*, either, so there's potentially a lot more work to do than just cleaning up a few 'requires "defines"' and stuff.

Return to “Mods”