Topics and discussion about specific mods
jggames
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[MOD 0.12.x] More Weapon Research 0.1.0

Post by jggames »

More Weapon Research

Info:
  • Adds additional tiers of weapon upgrades, along with a destroyer mk2 which has a longer range and lifetime.
  • Name: More Weapon Research
  • Latest Release: v0.1.0, September 9, 2015
  • Factorio Version: 0.12.x
  • Download: Github
  • License: GPLv2 Let me know if you want a different license.
  • Dependencies: base
  • Author: Jonathan Gardner (me)
  • Contact: Email me at jggames@jonathangardner.net. I REALLY suck at bulletin boards. So don't expect me to see your replies here. I'm trying to learn how to use a bulletin board so pointers appreciated.
Long Description:

There's not much to say. It adds a lot of tiers to gun damage and speed and such. The research required lines up with what already exists for robot follower count. So if you don't want to cheat the research on, you're going to be researching for a very long time to get them all.

Concerning balance: I only did some playtesting. With the research done, you can survive a fully evolved base with explosive rockets. You can also walk around enemy territory with ~50 destroyer bots without too much worry. The destroyer mk2 gives you extra range so it's really a walk in the park. (Of course, I'm wearing armor with max shields.)

For the future: I'd like to add longer-range weapons and longer-range turrets.

Bugs

Need to add a locale file for the MK2 destroyers.

Contributing & Licensing

Contributions welcome. Just do a pull request on github or email me at jggames@jonathangardner.net If you want to fork my project, be my guest.

I'm very open about licensing. Let me know if you need a different license for your project.

CorrettoSambuca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] More Weapon Research 0.1.0

Post by CorrettoSambuca »

How about Flamethrower upgrades? As it is now, it's there but it's nearly useless.
I'd like it to have a use at least against swarms of low tier biters, or against nests.

jggames
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jggames »

Let me take a look at it.

jggames
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jggames »

RE flamethrower damage: As far as I can tell, the flamethrower itself has no damage, and the flame ammo has no damage. However, what it does is creates a flame-thrower-explosion which has a field for damage. If you bump up damage 100x, then you get a super-powerful flamethrower. However, walking into your own flames is highly dangerous.

If I were to create a stronger flamethrower, I would do it by making a better ammo that had a different flame-thrower-explosion that did more damage. The range on it also needs to be increased as well.

I'll look into it.

jggames
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jggames »

I should also mention there is something highly satisfying spraying the green buggies in the face with fire and watching them die. The only problem is if you walk forward with the flames blasting, you die, even with the best shields.

CorrettoSambuca
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorrettoSambuca »

Any way if making the flame move faster? I'm imagining research like "Flamethrower ejection speed" that gives extra range and extra self combusting insurance.

jggames
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by jggames »

It would have to be a new model of flamethrower (since I don't know how to do that kind of magic yet.)

Is it time for more experimentation? I think so.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Hey mate, I think your files are named wrong... You should probably take a look at that. I very much like the idea otherwise :D

Return to “Mods”