[MOD 0.17.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Possibly. However, I don't really know how to do that AND get it to play nice with other mods.

It was kinda part of my original intent for the mod before I realized it wasn't supported properly at that time.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

HoraZ86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoraZ86 »

Hellou
I discovered your mod and gave it a try, and did all needed research on a old mod test save, and sadly im unable to craft the alien fuel for the fusion reactor :(
Is that a known bug?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Not sure I understand. You started a game with it already on, or you started an old game with the mod added?

I did add the migration thinggy, so I am not sure why the recipe would be disabled.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

HoraZ86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoraZ86 »

I have keep an old save game, where every thing is already researched and finished, and even a huge backup of supplies, so i can try mods without the need of a new game save and a ton of research.
Sadly every thing else runs as intended, so i wont get some sort of crash report, if i find the reason for that issue, i will let you know

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The reason, obviously, is that I am terrible with migration files. I have no idea how to solve this problem. Still, now that I know it exists, I can experiement somewhat.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

HoraZ86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoraZ86 »

Now i know where the issue comes from,
I already had researched the energy shield equipment and the portable fusion reactor, but for the research chain the electrostatic shield is required, and even if i research it afterwards, it doesn't seam to get an update an unlock the alien fuel.
I loaded a pretty old save where i just started the research of modules and as i have done it in order, it unlocked the fuel^^

I hope that will help you.

But expect this small issue your mod is awesome :D

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea. The migration script is SUPPOSED TO enable Alien fuel from Rocket and Solid fuel when the corresponding vanilla researches are... researched, but I can never get migrations to work correctly, so it doesn't work.

Going to be a while before I can update again. Still having a lot of difficulties with the data table not cooperating.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V2.2
Power Conduit Equipment Split into Semi-conductor Conduit Equipment and Super-Conductor Conduit Equipment.
Tried to Fix Migration scripts.. Again. (Tech research for pre-existing games)
Dummy Pole and Solar Panel removed. Workaround Workaround was found.
Burner Generator price increased.
Electrostatic shield price increased.
Armor recipes adjusted for assembler compatibility.

---
Semi-conductor Conduit transfers 400Kw, while Super-Conductor Conduit transfers 7.2Mw, and is 3x3.
It requires Semiconductor equipment, substations, processing units, artifacts, and t2 efficiency modules to make.

Each tier of armor now uses at most 6 components, and never more than 1 of the previous tier armor. As such, Mk3 Assemblers can produce any armor tier, for no crafting challenges.

Prices are somewhat different, but not by a huge amount.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

So, Currently, I have a lot of things I need to do.
With the new version, I fully expect that everything about the modular armor has broken. I need to investigate how it works, at least so I can make it sort of compatible.

Second, the current method I have to manage scripted equipment is already really inefficient, and If I try to have it function with more things that just the player, I think the lag will be too high to be practical.

When I first wrote this, I based it off of, I think, 5dim's Train stuff. Specifically, Initially it was how to attach an accumulator to a moving entity. Later, when vanilla broke accumulators, I changed it to a laser turret. That and the power pole and the solar panel, which no longer are needed.

However, currently, it loops through all players, checks for armor, armor grid, then searches through all modules to find matches for each scripted equipmenet. It does this every single tick. This is a terrible implementation, but at the time, there wasn't a better way for me to do this.

Now, there are events that should let me detect changes to equipment grid. Ideally, I should be able to detect changes, and rebuild several tables, which will significantly reduce the timecost of looping through everything.

However, the addition of non-player grids is also a problem. I would need to include them in the loop as well. The cost of doing this like I am now is so excessive it would probably kill my computer. So I need to completely overhaul the entire script for it to work.

Even worse not everything with a grid necessarily has an inventory, which means that fueled stuff will probably not work correctly. meaning I might have to redo that part as well somehow.

In short, I am not sure how to update this to the next version of factorio.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

katalex
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by katalex »

Conflict?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

That is odd. I can't think of a reason that would happen.
That said, the mods really aren't able to work together yet anyway yet. Hence the compatibility project.

In any case, as is, why would you try to use them together? It would mess up the tech tree and resource costs and progression. The first fusion reactor needs fuel, rest don't. Shields go from 1x1 to 3x3 then rest are 2x2 . Custom generators don't scale. And so on.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V2.3
Power conduit equipment migration fixed. Probably.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

V2.4 Fixed Gameloop crash.

And caused a desync Loop.

FML...

Can't fix this now.

No idea how to fix this at the moment.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

It seems, that the semiconductor conduit equipment doesn't work properly. I don't know about the superconductor equipment, haven't researched it yet.
Actually I had it researched, but after the last update it wasn't researched anymore. But that is another story.

So anyway, yesterday the semiconductor conduit equipment worked once as I tried, but today it does simply nothing.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea, thats the gameloop breaking. For whatever reason, its stopped running the gameloop when you load an existing game. I don't know why, since I didn't touch any part of that. I looked at the code, and am not entirely sure how it worked in the first place. Looking at it, it should never have worked for any game which didn't have the mod installed to start with.

Also will break all generators, except for the solar panel......

Until I figure this out, the mod is broken.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I'm guessing a bit but you could try this:

On mod changed event when you notify that update is needed register migration function to be called on next on_tick. If some on_tick was added it will be replaced.
In that migration function do all the work and then register usual on_tick handler.

You can do the same on on_init to make one consistent control flow. (I think that on_init will be before config changed but I did't check that)

Main idea behind this is that any required updates will actually happen in on_tick where risk of causing a desync should be much lower since game is actually running then.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The problem was that the gameloop stopped running.

The thing is, I based the gameloop on another older mod, which needed to be able to turn it on and off based on certain criteria. I just copied the basic framework. As a result, it starts the gameloop on init, and never stops it. Until, presumably something turned it off and it doesn't have any way to turn back on.

Tried to start the gameloop in the on Configuration Changed. I think that caused a desync loop. Probably because the tick was one tick later for the person who loaded, but I honestly have no real clue.

Did research. Apperently if you want a gameloop to run always, you need it to be initialized outside of a function. Except that that didn't work, it didn't run the loop in the first place. No idea why. I disabled everything that should be able to change the ontick event, so I have no idea.

Looking back, Its a surprise it ever worked in the first place. it made me think of a schrödinbug, which doesn't actually exist. It still worked for new games, just not loaded games. And I have no clue why.

I need to spend a day while off work on this problem, since I don't have the brainpower to actually think through how stuff works here.

How do you get a Desync Report file? Saw someone who posted one, but despite getting desync loop, can't find any files in the install folder or Appdata folder.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Marc90
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Marc90 »

That's weird. Sometimes it works. I think maybe after installing a new mod? Because that's the only thing I did recently. But how would it interfere with that?
And after saving and reloading it doesn't work anymore.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Yea. And I have no clue why. But, looking at the code, I can't figure out why it should have worked in the first place. So yea. Its wierd.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

I think I found the problem. Need to do a bunch of testing first, but it should be back up soonish.

Edit:

Works with new game. Works with old game that broke. Need to check multiplayer now. Gotta find my friends laptop now. XD
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Return to “Mods”