[MOD 0.17.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Modular Armor Revamp

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:v1.5
Fixed Solar Panel Mk2 Equipment Sprite. No long cut off.
Fusion reactor 10GW -> 9.6 GW
Conduit 800kW -> 400 kW

-----
Does anyone have any idea how I could make the T3 Battery (two sideways Mk1 Vanilla batteries) look less like two items? I thought of making a wire or something around them, or connect them like devices that have alternating battery directions, but I cannot handle art very well.
Could you take a smaller battery, scale it up, and rotate it 45 degrees so that it's diagonal, maybe?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Doesn't look that good.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Just a quick try
Attachments
bat-4.png
bat-4.png (16.92 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
bat-3.png
bat-3.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
bat-2.png
bat-2.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
bat-1.png
bat-1.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 5629 times

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Those are good. Did you make those or find them?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Those are good. Did you make those or find them?
Made them, they are rendered with Cinema4d. You can have them if you want, or tell me what you would like them to look like and I can see if I can make some for you.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Naw. Those are great. Definitely using them.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Having technical difficulties withe the new Power Conduit Icon. I just thickened the border, irregularly, so that it looked right, but since i have no idea what caused it, it might look really, really wrong to someone else.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Conduit interpretation
Attachments
conduit-big.png
conduit-big.png (13.4 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
conduit.png
conduit.png (2.41 KiB) Viewed 5603 times

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Definitely good.
Is there an option for the engine? I would prefer not using the vanilla engine image, since the icon had to get a border around it.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Arch666Angel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Arch666Angel »

Is it a fueled engine or an electric engine/motor?
Attachments
engine-darker-light.png
engine-darker-light.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
engine-darker.png
engine-darker.png (7.24 KiB) Viewed 5576 times
engine-alien.png
engine-alien.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
engine-1.png
engine-1.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
Last edited by Arch666Angel on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Fueled.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v1.7

Added new graphics from Arch666Angel for Conduit and Batteries.
Updated T3 and T4 Sprites and tech images.
Higher level equipment now all use corresponding modules to build.
Alien Fuel costs 3x Artifacts.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Just out of curiosity, How do people build their armor with this mod, early and late game? Which power generators do you use, and do you use more batteries or Shields or otherwise?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

I use the burner generator in early armor and usually 1-2 conduits for backup. Generally on early limited space armor I just cram in exos a couple burners and if I have space a single shield.
Once I get up to the mk2 I'll throw in a fusion generator and call it good.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Wut? No Solar panels or Conduits? Why not?
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

I prefer the burner to the solar panel. I put 1-2 conduits in earlier armor. Later armor though I only put them in if I have extra space. My current Mk4 has no conduits as they don't provide enough power to charge the armor fast enough and alien fuel isn't too bad to make.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Ranakastrasz wrote:Just out of curiosity, How do people build their armor with this mod, early and late game? Which power generators do you use, and do you use more batteries or Shields or otherwise?
Well, the one thing that makes me excited is the ability to move faster, thus Exoskeletons. That's also why I really like that you made the +5% Small Exoskeletons cheaper. I want/need to be able to move around inside my factory quickly. Especially in singleplayer (or if teaching a new player).

For that reason, I also favour energy-producing modules that produce energy constantly.
The Conduit is a good idea in theory, it has a nicely high power ratio (energy-per-second), but its recharge is conditional. Very conditional, even. It only recharges when you're within range of a Pole, which means most of the time it doesn't recharge.

Solar Panels are also conditional, but less so. It's sunlight something like 67% or 80% of the time (I think 75% of the time but then on top of that there's half recharge during the Dusk and Dawn phases), so that's a lot better than a Conduit (although the version of Revamp that I played the most lacked Solar Panels), but has the disadvantage of very low power density. Relative to those power-hungry beasts, the Exoskeletons.

For that reason, the Burner is optimal for me. It recharges me constantly. There is no condition to it, other than carrying fuel (and worst case scenario I can just murder a few Trees). It has a worse power density than the Conduit, but still much better than those Solar Panels I've seen (but keep in mind there are some versions of Revamp I haven't played, and others I have played very little), and I don't really mind having to carry around a stack of Solid Fuel, or even 2-3 of then, or half a dozen stacks of Coal (I also mod the game to increase inventory size from 60 to 150, because I play with several medium-sized mods in addition to yours, and 150 just "feels right" to me whereas 60 is claustrophobic. I'm sure having to carry a metric buttload of Coal around in a 60-slot inventory should be painful).

The Alien Fuel-burning Reactor is of course even better, in terms of power density, but is very late game and so pretty much outside of this analysis. Eventually it replaced the Burner.

EDIT. I usually play solo. Often I play with peaceful_mode enabled, or with the idea of setting a timer and play with peaceful_mode on for the first X hours (2, 3, 4 or 5) and then manually disabling peaceful. Generally to me Factorio isn't a combat game (although I would like the combat game mechancis and combat options to become somewhat more sophisticated). The Modular/Power Armor is for me first and foremost a tool (meaning many Exoskeletons and then later replacing most of those with Personal RoboPorts) and only very secondarily defensive modules such as Shields and Laser Defence (although I do think it's super cool that you've upgraded the Laser Defence Module).

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Peter34 wrote:
Ranakastrasz wrote:Just out of curiosity, How do people build their armor with this mod, early and late game? Which power generators do you use, and do you use more batteries or Shields or otherwise?
Well, the one thing that makes me excited is the ability to move faster, thus Exoskeletons. That's also why I really like that you made the +5% Small Exoskeletons cheaper. I want/need to be able to move around inside my factory quickly. Especially in singleplayer (or if teaching a new player).
True enough. While the bonus is minor, I wanted more granularity and earlier equipment.
For that reason, I also favour energy-producing modules that produce energy constantly.
The Conduit is a good idea in theory, it has a nicely high power ratio (energy-per-second), but its recharge is conditional. Very conditional, even. It only recharges when you're within range of a Pole, which means most of the time it doesn't recharge.
Hmm. I generally have the majority of my base and walls covered with power poles, actually. Also, Since my and my friend use laser turrets for support when assulting enemy bases, We have power there as well.
Solar Panels are also conditional, but less so. It's sunlight something like 67% or 80% of the time (I think 75% of the time but then on top of that there's half recharge during the Dusk and Dawn phases), so that's a lot better than a Conduit (although the version of Revamp that I played the most lacked Solar Panels), but has the disadvantage of very low power density. Relative to those power-hungry beasts, the Exoskeletons.
70% averaged, according to the wiki. 50% daylight, 20% darkening, 20% lightening, and 10% pitch black.
That said, They are 2.5x as powerful as vanilla, and the T2 produces more than a burner generator during the day. 3 vs 2.5 power rating. (T1 only matches it)
For that reason, the Burner is optimal for me. It recharges me constantly. There is no condition to it, other than carrying fuel (and worst case scenario I can just murder a few Trees). It has a worse power density than the Conduit, but still much better than those Solar Panels I've seen (but keep in mind there are some versions of Revamp I haven't played, and others I have played very little), and I don't really mind having to carry around a stack of Solid Fuel, or even 2-3 of then, or half a dozen stacks of Coal (I also mod the game to increase inventory size from 60 to 150, because I play with several medium-sized mods in addition to yours, and 150 just "feels right" to me whereas 60 is claustrophobic. I'm sure having to carry a metric buttload of Coal around in a 60-slot inventory should be painful).
True enough. The fuel costs are not really significant, and cutting down trees if you need power is pretty easy.
The Alien Fuel-burning Reactor is of course even better, in terms of power density, but is very late game and so pretty much outside of this analysis. Eventually it replaced the Burner.
Naturally. Ofc the new 1:1 artifact ratio makes it a bit worse.
EDIT. I usually play solo. Often I play with peaceful_mode enabled, or with the idea of setting a timer and play with peaceful_mode on for the first X hours (2, 3, 4 or 5) and then manually disabling peaceful. Generally to me Factorio isn't a combat game (although I would like the combat game mechancis and combat options to become somewhat more sophisticated). The Modular/Power Armor is for me first and foremost a tool (meaning many Exoskeletons and then later replacing most of those with Personal RoboPorts) and only very secondarily defensive modules such as Shields and Laser Defence (although I do think it's super cool that you've upgraded the Laser Defence Module).
Heh. Someone figured out how to do that. I just added it in.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

v1.8

Added new graphics from Arch666Angel for Burner Generator
Altered prices again.
Reduces Productivity module requirements.
Re-buffed Conduit 400kW -> 600 kW.
REMOVED SUEPRCONDUCTING COIL

-----
When you update, record the count of superconducting coil. Use the console to create 1/10th of that amount.

Code: Select all

game.local_player.insert{name="alien-artifact", count=100}
Originally, I think I justified the Coils as being used for increase granularity, so that I could have low level equipement take 0.1 artifacts or whatever. Now, I am pretty sure I just added them to add some lore additions. Hence I am removing them. Recipes that used them all use Artifacts like vanilla instead.
A migration script, as it turns out, is probably infeasible. I might be able to figure it out eventually, but I doubt it.

----

Considering trying to add a Tesla Tower structure. Each one would probably be 4x4, use 10 conduits worth of power and trasmit, at any distance, enough power for one conduit to the owning player. Or split over the team.

Also, once I get the stupid power distribution system to behave, I also want to add/modify a burst laser, which takes a long time to charge but discharges really fast and hard. Like 60 seconds of charging for 2 seconds of firing, with that 60 seconds worth of DPS crammed into those 2 seconds. Also the discharge defence I might convert into a teleporter module, If I can figure out how to detect an item being clicked out of range of the player.
My Mods:
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Rana, I really hope you'll update this mod to 0.13 soon. I miss it a lot. Although I miss Agent Orange even more so. It seems to me that all 0.13 games spawn you surrounded by a metric wubeload of Trees.

Return to “Mods”