[MOD 0.12.x] Smarter Circuitry

Topics and discussion about specific mods
dandielo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Smarter Circuitry

Post by dandielo »

Hey there, I was playing around your mod a bit and got after some time a weird bug with 'sensors'

Actually the bug report was telling me something about no 'x' key in the LuaEntity class, so I've looked into your code a bit and made a fix for it (seems like you got that bug earlier too)

Link to the Github comparison + made a pull request
https://github.com/Kikkers/Factorio-Sma ... b402bf488e
Resurrecting DyTech's Mods, more about this Here!

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

I have used the directional sensor quite often, and find there are a few more types of detections I would find very useful, such as...

* How many of a specific type of bot is in the network, and how many are available. (mainly for use with mods, such as Bob's, which have mk2/3/4 bots) Currently, I can only detect how many are in the logistics inventory with it.

* How much available space is left in the chest/railcar. Since different items have different stack sizes it is pretty much impossible to do this simply, but if the number returned is telling me the # of empty stack slots, that would be plenty. Also finding the # of occupied stack slots would be useful too. I can live with not-quite-full stacks. (actually, this one I would want, more than the above detection)

-- Smoov

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

I don't think the actuators work on trains.

In the example save game in 0.12.29 the actuators don't seem to have any effect on the train in the middle. Looking at the circuits what I think is supposed to be happening is the train holds until it loads 200 ore, then moves on, then holds until it unloads completely, then moves on. But what actually happens in the example is the train stops for 0 seconds up top and 5 at the bottom as it is programmed to do, instead of obeying the sensor / actuator logic.

Or maybe it's the sensor that doesn't work. The directional sensors pointed at the train in the example file never show any output signal, regardless of what's in the train.

Either way something isn't right.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

troonie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Suggestion: [MOD 0.12.x] Smarter Circuitry

Post by troonie »

Lukea153 wrote:I have a suggestion, can you add a Signal Delayer which waits a specified number of ticks?
You can build signal delayer with a few combinators

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23639

troonie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by troonie »

JasonC wrote:I don't think the actuators work on trains.

In the example save game in 0.12.29 the actuators don't seem to have any effect on the train in the middle. Looking at the circuits what I think is supposed to be happening is the train holds until it loads 200 ore, then moves on, then holds until it unloads completely, then moves on. But what actually happens in the example is the train stops for 0 seconds up top and 5 at the bottom as it is programmed to do, instead of obeying the sensor / actuator logic.

Or maybe it's the sensor that doesn't work. The directional sensors pointed at the train in the example file never show any output signal, regardless of what's in the train.

Either way something isn't right.
Both sensor and actuator do not work appropriately. They work when you build them first while the train is at the station. But when the train leaves, and then arrives again, they do not work any more.

For sensor, I've found a workaround in 0.12.29: just setup pressure plate under the track (remove the sensor and the track piece first, then build plates, then re-build sensor to point at the plates, ONLY THEN re-build the track)

But I'm still struggling to make actuator work

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

Hi,

Posting in the correct thread now :)

Can I make the sensor work on liquids in a tank?
I want to be able to sense a full tank, after which the electric switch will turn on cracking of heavy oil to light oil.

I'll try the sensor plate combo under the tank and see if that works.

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

The fix mentioned two pages earlier does not work for you?
viewtopic.php?p=128515#p128515
If only my thesis could be done in Factorio …

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

mrtux wrote:The fix mentioned two pages earlier does not work for you?
Sorry, I skim checked the 11 pages of this thread for liquid handling but didn't find anything. I might have missed it or references to it, using similar concepts?
I haven't yet started a full fledged train network and the only posts in the past 2-3 pages were about trains.

I started playing in 2014, I took a 2 year break and have 30 hours in my current map.

Edit
Used the decider combinator + electric switch to solve my problem.
Wasn't able to use the directional sensor to give me a reading on the storage tank liquid.
Last edited by nmid on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Yeah I got lost in the 11 pages, too. Didn't read the novel, sorry. :lol:

I wouldn't really expect a normal human to find that needle in this haystack. If the original author has moved on to other things, maybe a branch with fixes could be made in viewforum.php?f=120
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

nmid wrote:Hi,

Posting in the correct thread now :)

Can I make the sensor work on liquids in a tank?
I want to be able to sense a full tank, after which the electric switch will turn on cracking of heavy oil to light oil.

I'll try the sensor plate combo under the tank and see if that works.
There was a change that allows tanks to now be part of the vanilla game's signal network. Just connect them with colored wire and you'll be okay.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

JasonC wrote:
Yeah I got lost in the 11 pages, too. Didn't read the novel, sorry. :lol:

I wouldn't really expect a normal human to find that needle in this haystack. If the original author has moved on to other things, maybe a branch with fixes could be made in viewforum.php?f=120
This would basically mean that somebody forks the projects and creates a new mod (with thread) based on this mod. I cannot really commit to this, as I have only sporadically time for this.

You're totally right, nobody would find this post. I only remembered posting the solution once and – since I would not find it in this haystack, too - reposted the link.

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

I was wondering if someone could get a train to stop with an actautor when it's driving? i want to create a railcrossing where if i'm going to walk near and on the tracks that the oncoming trains stop for me instead of watching out for a train that comes by, anybody know if this is possible with this mod or any other mod?

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Unifire wrote:I was wondering if someone could get a train to stop with an actautor when it's driving? i want to create a railcrossing where if i'm going to walk near and on the tracks that the oncoming trains stop for me instead of watching out for a train that comes by, anybody know if this is possible with this mod or any other mod?
I don't know if it's possible with this mod but another approach is to build a gate at the crossing for you to walk through, and make it close when a train is coming using the pressure pads, so you can't cross.

If you try to stop the trains you'll still get hit if you cross the tracks while the train is closer than its stopping distance, which can be pretty large.

Unifire
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Unifire »

JasonC wrote:
Unifire wrote:I was wondering if someone could get a train to stop with an actautor when it's driving? i want to create a railcrossing where if i'm going to walk near and on the tracks that the oncoming trains stop for me instead of watching out for a train that comes by, anybody know if this is possible with this mod or any other mod?
I don't know if it's possible with this mod but another approach is to build a gate at the crossing for you to walk through, and make it close when a train is coming using the pressure pads, so you can't cross.

If you try to stop the trains you'll still get hit if you cross the tracks while the train is closer than its stopping distance, which can be pretty large.
thx for the tip

NoriSilverrage
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NoriSilverrage »

Just gotta say, the directional switch is amazingly useful with the Hardcrafting mod. I can use it to monitor a belt and connect some smart inserters to add or remove excess materials as needed.

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

NoriSilverrage wrote:Just gotta say, the directional switch is amazingly useful with the Hardcrafting mod. I can use it to monitor a belt and connect some smart inserters to add or remove excess materials as needed.
yeah, I use it a lot too, but to reverse the belt leading from a mining site if I have plenty of that ore already, only letting ore pass if my base is low.

I would like to see something more documentation tho... for instance, what is the 'filter' for on it? and what signals does it output? If I have a couple lamps wired to it (say, a red and green one), can I set conditions on the lamp's circuit-network setting to light the green lamp and red lamp to see if an ore deposit is sending material or not? (and if not, could you? :) )

-- Smoov

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

Smoovious wrote:I would like to see something more documentation tho... for instance, what is the 'filter' for on it? and what signals does it output? If I have a couple lamps wired to it (say, a red and green one), can I set conditions on the lamp's circuit-network setting to light the green lamp and red lamp to see if an ore deposit is sending material or not? (and if not, could you? :) )

-- Smoov
You mean you want solutions for your puzzles? As far as I have seen, all the elements provided by this mod are documented, are they not?
The rest is for you to find out. This is Factorio!

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

mrtux wrote:
Smoovious wrote:I would like to see something more documentation tho... for instance, what is the 'filter' for on it? and what signals does it output? If I have a couple lamps wired to it (say, a red and green one), can I set conditions on the lamp's circuit-network setting to light the green lamp and red lamp to see if an ore deposit is sending material or not? (and if not, could you? :) )

-- Smoov
You mean you want solutions for your puzzles? As far as I have seen, all the elements provided by this mod are documented, are they not?
The rest is for you to find out. This is Factorio!
I want, at the very least, to have things documented... such as the 'filter' on the actuator.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know how an item functions. It is up to us to figure out what we're going to end up doing with it.

and no... they aren't all documented (or at least, not all in the same place, like the first post of this thread)... if they were, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

-- Smoov

mrtux
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mrtux »

Okay. I guess we have different requirements for the documentation. What might be added is something along the lines of: "The filter condition decides if the actuator 'toggles'. They work similar to activation conditions on the smart inserter."

On hindsight I figure that's the part I tried out and I still try out when building a new setup because I cannot be bothered with remembering that stuff.

The whole discussion also makes me wonder if the first post in a forum is the best place for documentation. It seems that the original maintainer is no longer around or can no longer put time into this mod, so the first post can no longer be modified. Maybe this problem disappears once there is a mod platform? (Getting off-topic here...)

FaeDine
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FaeDine »

Getting the following error when loading the Actuator mod in multiplayer. Running in dedicated server mode on 0.12.32. Happy to provide more info if needed.

Running quite a few mods, but this is the only one that seems to prevent the server from loading.

Code: Select all

25.259 Error MultiplayerManager.cpp:110: MultiplayerManager failed: "Unknown key:"Error while running the on_init: __actuator__/control.lua:30: Error while running the event handler: __research-queue__/control.lua:181: attempt to call global 'find_entity' (a nil value)""
  25.269 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:913: networkTick(0) mapTick(-1) changing state from(CreatingGame) to(InitializationFailed)
  25.275 Error Main.cpp:340: Couldn't load the game for MP: Unknown key:"Error while running the on_init: __actuator__/control.lua:30: Error while running the event handler: __research-queue__/control.lua:181: attempt to call global 'find_entity' (a nil value)"
Full list of mods in use (minus actuator).

Code: Select all

advanced-logistics-system_0.2.12.zip
autofill_1.3.12.zip
AutoTrash_0.0.55.zip
blueprint-string_2.3.1.zip
blueprint_flipper_0.1.4.zip
color-coding_1.0.7.zip
electric-switch_0.4.9.zip
EvoGUI_0.4.15.zip
FARL_0.5.25.zip
fluid-barrel_1.0.0.zip
GDIW_1.1.2.zip