[MOD 0.12.16] Displaying range of turrets [v1.1.2]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.16] Displaying range of turrets [v1.1.2]

Post by kds71 »

Generating sprites to display turret range from 1 to - lets say - 256 is not a problem. The problem is with displaying it. Factorio doesn't display sprites that don't fit on the screen, so sprites for long range turrets would never be displayed. You can see it even in the vanilla game when it comes to displaying working range of roboports and substations - and there are (modded) turrets that have range way longer than roboports.

I think I will try to improve performance in different way, by splitting number of entities representing range of a turret into groups and spawning only one group per tick (currently all entities are spawned at once). This should help a lot. The problem is that I can't really test it, because I have never had any performance issues with this mod... not even a slightest slowdown while using turret range probe tool for me :( So I will have to rely on your feedback for that. I think it would be best to make the entire spawning process configurable, i.e. how many entities can be spawned in one tick and how big should be interval (should entities be spawned in every tick, every two ticks etc.). This way everybody could adjust it to match their needs.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

On general principles, if each "UI entity" you spawn is size 1 tile, then I do think you'll want to spawn 2-3 such entities per 1/60s tick. Try that.

I haven't used your mod much, and only in SP, but I haven't had problems with it.

Xiomax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Xiomax »

BUG: I'm getting this crash error when trying to clear the turret range, I first press right click and then once i press left click it will give me this error. I'm not clicking on a turret btw.
Attachments
Screenshot of error
Screenshot of error
Untitled.png (2.65 MiB) Viewed 4017 times

kds71
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by kds71 »

Xiomax wrote:BUG: I'm getting this crash error when trying to clear the turret range, I first press right click and then once i press left click it will give me this error. I'm not clicking on a turret btw.
What version of Factorio are you using? Any mods? I've tried but I can't reproduce this error, everything works fine for me. BTW there is no need to right click when clearing turret range.

archont
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by archont »

Seems to happen when paving over turret range indicators - some get paved over, some don't. The concrete is still there over the yellow tiles, but trying to reset them crashes the game.

Must get rid of yellow squares. Any ideas?

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Same Error here.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

No, I'm actually serious. It might be the case that the Concrete overwrites the Turret Range markers, but if the range display function is disabled and then re-enabled, the new range markers will go on top of the Concrete.

I don't know. I don't have a savegame even close to being sufficiently advanced to test this. But it's a thought.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

No, that crashes the game, as seen above. If you attempt to remove the turret range, it crashes.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Rahjital
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Rahjital »

Here's an updated version of the mod. Should fix the issues with concrete deleting the indicators and the subsequent crash, so if you had a save ruined by 1.1.2, this should be able to fix it. Also fixes a couple of other potential bugs.
Attachments
turrets-range_1.1.3.zip
(10.31 KiB) Downloaded 143 times

Return to “Mods”