[MOD 0.15.2+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.8]

Topics and discussion about specific mods
thurak126
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.11+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.2](16th October)

Post by thurak126 »

How much power is a single satellite supposed to produce?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Sensei wrote:Next, can we use our satellites as death rays? If they're sending down several megawatts in a small area, surely that's enough to set biters on fire, yes?
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=17910
not exactly the same, but close enough
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

kinnom wrote:
Sensei wrote:Next, can we use our satellites as death rays? If they're sending down several megawatts in a small area, surely that's enough to set biters on fire, yes?
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=17910
not exactly the same, but close enough
Thanks for the heads up. Il not copy what someone else has already done(pretty darn good!) :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Bugs:
  • This mod can stop your other capacitors from being charged from your solar panels. My base ran out of energy during the night even though my solar panels and capacitors are enough to keep my base alive. When I removed the recievers my capacitors started charging again. Also other mods that build stuff out of capacitors are affected. My compression chest power poles also stopped working and my entire storage systed was flooded with items.
  • The capacitors output weird numbers in electric network stats. Sometimes it says a few MW even though I have plenty of satellites in orbit and recievers. When I remove a few recievers the energy output goes up! Sometimes the power statistics say I get like 12GW of power from the recievers even though my base uses like 700MW which is supplied from the solar panels exactly and I don't have enough satellites or recievers to get that much from it. So I get 0 W from the recievers, but it says I get very little or way too much.
  • The recievers can't charge capacitors. You know this one, but it needs to be fixed.
The mod is cool, but if it doesn't actually work then there isn't much point to it. As it is now I have removed my recievers to get more power.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Qon wrote:Bugs:
  • This mod can stop your other capacitors from being charged from your solar panels. My base ran out of energy during the night even though my solar panels and capacitors are enough to keep my base alive. When I removed the recievers my capacitors started charging again. Also other mods that build stuff out of capacitors are affected. My compression chest power poles also stopped working and my entire storage systed was flooded with items.
  • The capacitors output weird numbers in electric network stats. Sometimes it says a few MW even though I have plenty of satellites in orbit and recievers. When I remove a few recievers the energy output goes up! Sometimes the power statistics say I get like 12GW of power from the recievers even though my base uses like 700MW which is supplied from the solar panels exactly and I don't have enough satellites or recievers to get that much from it. So I get 0 W from the recievers, but it says I get very little or way too much.
  • The recievers can't charge capacitors. You know this one, but it needs to be fixed.
The mod is cool, but if it doesn't actually work then there isn't much point to it. As it is now I have removed my recievers to get more power.
This is something i cannot fix until a custom power generator comes. Something that is said to most likely come.
Of course there is the possibility to use the invisible steam engine setup, but i'm not sure if it will work seeing as the power generation from the satelites are variable.
So when the custom power generator comes.Then yes. I will jump straight to it :)!
But so you know. It may be that your solar panels are already maxed out since they are prioritised to use power from. Therefore the receivers only supply the rest power so they will not fill actual accumulators. Thats why the receivers will fluctuate. No im not sure why your accumulators only filled after you removed some receivers. Unless Factorio tryed to fill the charge in all the accumulators evenly.
That could be the reason if the accumulators atleast had some power, and when you removed some receivers the rest receivers got more energy each. Thereby rising the amount of power the other accumulators could store.

Edit: I havent tryed to use this mod at gigawatt powerlevels so that may explain why i havent noticed any problem like that yet. Though my base runs more or less just on power from the satelites and some from the steam engines.
Will go and do some tests now. Will update you.

Update:
The mod seems to be working perfectly well in my test area.
However the thing is.
To fill accumulators you have to be producing more power than you need without the receivers supplying any energy. That is the sattelites will only support your power supply when it is neccecary seeing as it is an accumulator, but it will be used before your accumulators are used.
You are using the latest version?

If possible could you uppload the map so i can do some tests on it?
Logo

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

Yes, I'm using v0.2.2.
Here's some crazy numbers:
x2scrap12.png
x2scrap12.png (3.83 MiB) Viewed 7442 times
58 satellites launched when the screenshot was taken. 58*100*60/1000*1.05 = 365.5 MW maximum possible from the satellites.
But since I only have 3 recievers here the highest I should get is 3*10*100*60/1000*1.05 = 189 MW.
So why does it say 10 GW from recievers? And all the power used in the factory is <5GW. And what are my MK6 accumulator getting charged from if not the recievers? Seems to actually charge it at the time when the screenshot was taken...
And my consumption and production numbers at the top seems to ignore recievers and accumulators completely for some reason.

I can't really reproduce the bug on demand, I just came back that one time and my factory was getting no power even though my accumulators and can provide enough energy for my factory several times over. I thought I saved it in a bugged state but It seems I didn't or accidentally overwrote it :/

I have some recievers in my factory now but I'm not sure what they are doing since my solar field is capable of handling the factory.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Qon wrote:Yes, I'm using v0.2.2.
Here's some crazy numbers:
58 satellites launched when the screenshot was taken. 58*100*60/1000*1.05 = 365.5 MW maximum possible from the satellites.
But since I only have 3 recievers here the highest I should get is 3*10*100*60/1000*1.05 = 189 MW.
So why does it say 10 GW from recievers? And all the power used in the factory is <5GW. And what are my MK6 accumulator getting charged from if not the recievers? Seems to actually charge it at the time when the screenshot was taken...
And my consumption and production numbers at the top seems to ignore recievers and accumulators completely for some reason.

I can't really reproduce the bug on demand, I just came back that one time and my factory was getting no power even though my accumulators and can provide enough energy for my factory several times over. I thought I saved it in a bugged state but It seems I didn't or accidentally overwrote it :/

I have some recievers in my factory now but I'm not sure what they are doing since my solar field is capable of handling the factory.
Thanks for the extra info.
I checked my code and whats happening to you is really strange since each accumulator(receiver) is set in the entities.lua file to not send out more than 65 MW, and with 3 that equals 195 MW which is 0.195 GW. That is supposed to be hardcoded in game not to go over the limit.

Edit:
Suddenly i noticed it says 1.4 GW in consumption/production, but 14 GW in the production on the right(not top left) :o!

One thing to note is that the energy receivers are set to only take 1kw of energy per second. Which is why you dont see your accumulator capacity as full.
Secondly i did not include a limit in my code so that limit in the lua file where i define the entity is what should limit it, but supposedly its not as seen from your picture. But if i could get your savefile it would help me greatly to track down where the problem is. Though i may also look into using the invisible steam engine setup to create energy, but i have never used that before. As said before this mod is based on a hacky method so its a little before its time. Until we get the custom power generator that was talked about some time ago.
Logo

UberWaffe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by UberWaffe »

@jorgenRe:

I think I found a way to make the energy receivers not have the usual issues related with accumulators.
See attached 0.2.3 test file. (@Everyone. Please note. Not an official version. Just a test case.)
I turned them into steam generator entities (stole the idea & code from KS power viewtopic.php?f=93&t=18596&hilit=KS+Power)

Since they are steam generators, they will charge your accumulators normally, and will help supplement your normal steam generators even if the accumulators are full.

Basically the code adjusts the temperature of the fluid to manipulate the power output. (All credit to @Klonan.)

Ran some initial tests. Fine tuning the energy generation is a bit of a pain. But the concept works fine.
(Sidenote: The test case numbers are out by about a factor of 4. See generator's effectivity = 44. Should be closer to 175.)
Attachments
usefulSpace_0.2.3.zip
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

UberWaffe wrote:@jorgenRe:

I think I found a way to make the energy receivers not have the usual issues related with accumulators.
See attached 0.2.3 test file. (@Everyone. Please note. Not an official version. Just a test case.)
I turned them into steam generator entities (stole the idea & code from KS power viewtopic.php?f=93&t=18596&hilit=KS+Power)

Since they are steam generators, they will charge your accumulators normally, and will help supplement your normal steam generators even if the accumulators are full.

Basically the code adjusts the temperature of the fluid to manipulate the power output. (All credit to @Klonan.)

Ran some initial tests. Fine tuning the energy generation is a bit of a pain. But the concept works fine.
(Sidenote: The test case numbers are out by about a factor of 4. See generator's effectivity = 44. Should be closer to 175.)
That is the correct way of doing it (right now), and they are to be much limited as per the voting thing(forgot name). Thanks will test it out and see how it works :)

PS its 6 kelvin (k) per satelite, seeing as the celsius scale is odd :P!
Logo

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.13.0+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.4](27th June)

Post by Qon »

Thanks for updating it for 0.13.

Bug: when opening a 0.12 save with recievers placed on the ground in 0.13 they are all "frozen" in their animation and don't give any power. Only newly placed reciever entities will give you any power, so you have to mine and place down every single one to work around this bug. Since this is the only power mod that works in 0.13 for me atm it is the only power source that I have, which means I get a black out as soon as I load up my save and the natives starts chewing on my base. Please make a migration script that fixes this issue. I'm going to have to load 0.12 saves with only useful space as my energy source many times until all my mods are updated.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Qon wrote:Thanks for updating it for 0.13.

Bug: when opening a 0.12 save with recievers placed on the ground in 0.13 they are all "frozen" in their animation and don't give any power. Only newly placed reciever entities will give you any power, so you have to mine and place down every single one to work around this bug. Since this is the only power mod that works in 0.13 for me atm it is the only power source that I have, which means I get a black out as soon as I load up my save and the natives starts chewing on my base. Please make a migration script that fixes this issue. I'm going to have to load 0.12 saves with only useful space as my energy source many times until all my mods are updated.
Yea it's a sad bug I found too :(
Basically it is due to thexpire upgrade to a new way of doing the energy creation.
Logo

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Qon »

jorgenRe wrote: Yea it's a sad bug I found too :(
Basically it is due to thexpire upgrade to a new way of doing the energy creation.
So, will you write a migration script? All you have to do is reinitialize all recievers on the map. From your post it sounds like you've given up on solving it :s

Maja153
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Maja153 »

Are there going to be any more new things added?

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Maja153 wrote:Are there going to be any more new things added?
Thats the big mistery :ugeek:
There are things i want to do, but for now im waiting.
Logo

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.12+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.5](1st October)

Post by Airat9000 »

mod update?

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Airat9000 wrote:mod update?
Who knows :) I just finished my biggest semester work/thing. And i am now back to Factorio. Loving the added circuitry :geek:

EDIT:
I just noticed the comment from RSeding about a possible big perfomance boost. I will trye and get it done tomorrow or sunday! Then i might look into some other cool stuff.
Logo

Albravo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Albravo »

I just installed the mod. I have 1 satellite. I placed an energy receiver next to a power pole unconnected from my main grid. I put an assembler next to the pole. It shows the red 'no power' icon. Hovering over the energy receiver shows 0/0 performance. Am I missing something?

Edit: I launched another satellite and it started producing electricity. So it may not take into account satellites launched before installing the mod.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Albravo wrote:I just installed the mod. I have 1 satellite. I placed an energy receiver next to a power pole unconnected from my main grid. I put an assembler next to the pole. It shows the red 'no power' icon. Hovering over the energy receiver shows 0/0 performance. Am I missing something?

Edit: I launched another satellite and it started producing electricity. So it may not take into account satellites launched before installing the mod.
No, looking at the code it seems it failed to detect your previous satelites. It used to so it may be the code it uses stopped working at some update.
Logo

ParanoikCZ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.12+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.6]-Perfomance patch

Post by ParanoikCZ »

Hey ..
I'm new to lua but quickchecked and found two issues related to previous state of launched rockets ..

First one is that on_player_joined event is not fired (probably it's multiplayer only?), so loading previous state never happens.
I've workarounded this by replacing on_rocket_launched event code with call of read_satellites_sent_from_gui(game.forces.player).
However, it didn't work.

After some debugging, I've found out, there is probably typo (or maybe legacy code after syntax change?)
in loop, there is 'ipairs' instead of 'pairs' used and loop never runs. After fixing this, and launching next rocket, number is properly updated.

Also, I'm not sure, but does this work in multiplayer?
Attachments
control.lua
There is my working version, only for debugging
(7.93 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.12+]Useful Space Industry[0.2.6]-Perfomance patch

Post by jorgenRe »

ParanoikCZ wrote:Hey ..
I'm new to lua but quickchecked and found two issues related to previous state of launched rockets ..

First one is that on_player_joined event is not fired (probably it's multiplayer only?), so loading previous state never happens.
I've workarounded this by replacing on_rocket_launched event code with call of read_satellites_sent_from_gui(game.forces.player).
However, it didn't work.

After some debugging, I've found out, there is probably typo (or maybe legacy code after syntax change?)
in loop, there is 'ipairs' instead of 'pairs' used and loop never runs. After fixing this, and launching next rocket, number is properly updated.

Also, I'm not sure, but does this work in multiplayer?
It works fine on a singleplayer save and should work on multiplayer.

"on_player_joined_game" is the correct event used as shown in the docs and the fact that the code is run as the player joins the game. Got the Satelites already orbiting the planet was detected: 58 message.

However it did not properly run the function to read the GUI due to some changes made to ipairs which made it nolonger work oddly enough =/

Never the less. Thanks for the heads up. I have uploaded the new version 5 minutes after this post!
Logo

Return to “Mods”