[MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BULIGO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by BULIGO »

Hello!
A long time lurker, I decided to register mainly to be able to thank the various modders for their awesome mods that instilled a lot of new lifeblood to my favourite game.
For this topic, i would like to thank Klonan for the Bergius mod. I am by no means a min-maxer, just the average Factorio-Joe. If i build more than 3-4 oil refineries it is considered as weird, launching more thah 3-4 rockets is a true miracle, so, i never ran out of oil..yet. Though, I refuse to quit the map once i launch a couple rockets, so always looking for things 'to do' after the er..end game. This mod is one of those things.
I like to reroll maps until i get a good one with phat resources nearby (Klonan, many thanks for the Initial Scan mod too).
So, my oil wells are usually close by, I use the railroad to transport all sort of liquids from A to B, oil included. What is bugging me, is the fact that once i start bulk producig efficiency tier2 wafers (to reduce pollution and 40%=40%=80% less energy usage), i end up needing very litle coal (steel furnaces--> electric furnaces). And all those milion tons of coal just lying around in those huge deposits are bugging me :)
With this mod I will finally be able to put some of it to good use. Thanks again!
P.S.
I too think the original production ratio is too low (nothing wrong with it re the RL Bergius process i think), just so i dont need to clutter half my base with chem. plants and refineries. After some thinking I want to change the ratio to 3 heavy oil+12 liq. coal -> 3 heavy oil (barely using it)+2 light oil+4 petrol. gas. so 4 liquefiers should 'serve' one refinery.
I wish i could make diesel fuel too (Klonan again lol), but the diesel fuel dedicated chem plant is good enough.
I did try other coal-to-petrol mods, but they are not of my liking, being generally too cheesy and cheaty. Yes, i can read XML so can make it easier/harder but thats not my point. Bergius looks somewhat more..credible to me. Can't talk realistic re games with aliens, really :)

Sten
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sten »

Will this mod be setup for 0.13 please? I like it in large sandbox games; Oil is there, but I like to burn up all that coal as well, and there is never enough Oil! Thanks !

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Sten wrote:Will this mod be setup for 0.13 please? I like it in large sandbox games; Oil is there, but I like to burn up all that coal as well, and there is never enough Oil! Thanks !
The mod is on the mod portal: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/Bergius_Process

redfrog
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by redfrog »

Hey, this is a great mod. Setting up oil pump bases only to have them run out after an hour gets old. Glad to have an alternative. Thanks.

Uxi
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Uxi »

Have you considered adding a 2nd recipe to the mod that produces heavy oil only?
That way you can start op the oil refining process without having access to an oil well.
Doesn't matter if it is really expensive/inefficient process (read "uses a lot of liquefied coal"),
it is only used to get the real oil process up and running.

Eddie the Jedi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eddie the Jedi »

IMO this is the mod that most urgently needs to be added to the base game (except for fluid wagons and universal barrelling which are reportedly on track for 0.15 already). Without this mod, coal very suddenly morphs from an essential factory input into nearly useless trash when solar panels and electric furnaces arrive on the scene. I like that this mod makes coal mining a productive activity all the way through the endgame.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Is there an update to 0.14 planned?

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Ironmonk
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Ironmonk »

Eddie the Jedi wrote:IMO this is the mod that most urgently needs to be added to the base game (except for fluid wagons and universal barrelling which are reportedly on track for 0.15 already). Without this mod, coal very suddenly morphs from an essential factory input into nearly useless trash when solar panels and electric furnaces arrive on the scene. I like that this mod makes coal mining a productive activity all the way through the endgame.
+1

I was a bit lazy to post this, but yeah, I can't abstain any longer.

This simple and useful mod should totally be included on the main game!

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

It is also a source of fuel for the new flame thrower turret, that "eats" fluid in very large quantitites.

(Very useful utility against the "SWARM"-mod and very angry natives.)

thebacon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thebacon »

Hey Klonan,

I don't suppose you would want to release this as a pure replacement for oil? (That is not requiring blue science to research.)

I ask because I'm currently playing a ribbon map (100 tiles high), and can't push out past enemies any more, and can't find any oil. Remembered this mod but the blue science requirement made me sad again.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Is there any chance that the Bergius Process will be added to Vanilla, Klonan?

It shouldn't be that hard to copy&paste the contents of the mod to the base game. :D

Also I don't think that it would add "too much complexity" either... It's just the right amount.

It would definitely help getting rid of excess Coal that otherwise stocks up in Vanilla. Also with the upcoming Nuclear Power it will become even more noticable once people require less Boiler/Steam Engine backups.

Another problem is the achievements... with the mod enabled you can't get any.

Return to “Mods”