[MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Topics and discussion about specific mods
User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4132
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

[MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Klonan »

Version 0.14 download here:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/Bergius_Process


Name: Bergius Process
Version: 0.1.0
Factorio-Version: 0.12.x
Description: This mod adds a factorio analog of the Bergius Process, a way to create oils from water and coal.
License: Ask me
Release: 2015-08-10
Download-Url: As attachment
Website: Nope
Dependencies: Base
Category: New Items, Entities, Extensions
Tags:Oil, Processing, Coal.


This mod adds research and recipes as following:

Coal Liquefaction - Turns Coal & Water into Liquefied Coal
Bergius process - Refines Heavy oil & Liquefied Coal into Heavy oil, Light oil and Petroleum Gas
Pictures
Any comments suggestions, please let me know,
Thanks to those who already suggested great things
Old releases
Last edited by Klonan on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by jorgenRe »

But what about the oxygen :o!
Nevermind. It's nice to see an alternative where the oxygen is automatically emptied for a little bit simpler build ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4132
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Klonan »

jorgenRe wrote:But what about the oxygen :o!
Nevermind. It's nice to see an alternative where the oxygen is automatically emptied for a little bit simpler build ;)!
Haha yea, well either it comes out and i use a special 'vent' building to empty it... or assume through some incredible magic the gaseous by-product we don't want is somehow magically emptied from the system ;)

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Cooolaid »

Is this a replacement of the process or an alternative / addition of it ?
I would like to keep the same process I have now.
But would be nice to have an alternative / addition just incase its needed.

I wish more mod developers made an alternative / additions to systems within game.
And let the player choose whether they would like it to replace or add to the system process within game or not by doing so within the config file.
or a GUI button selection ingame.

There are a few mods out there that replaces the entire process to do the same thing and completely ruin the entire process,
because the path it takes ruins the recipe for many other parts of the game.
I dont mind a challenge, its the entire replacement instead of adding to the process is that kills it.

the reason why I mention this is because many mod developers completely change the process to get the same resource.
instead of adding to the process to create new things from it.
such example would be, light oil. not many people are using light oil or lubricant. So why not make a new process ADDING to the process so users can use light oil and lubricant more for things within game.
making the process of oil factory more expandable and useable in many other ways, instead of just constantly replacing the same process over and over with different mods..
you can only cut a chicken the same way but so many times, until it starts to get monotonous.

this is why I ask. :D
thanks

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by jorgenRe »

Cooolaid wrote:Is this a replacement of the process or an alternative / addition of it ?
I would like to keep the same process I have now.
But would be nice to have an alternative / addition just incase its needed.

I wish more mod developers made an alternative / additions to systems within game.
And let the player choose whether they would like it to replace or add to the system process within game or not by doing so within the config file.
or a GUI button selection ingame.

There are a few mods out there that replaces the entire process to do the same thing and completely ruin the entire process,
because the path it takes ruins the recipe for many other parts of the game.
I dont mind a challenge, its the entire replacement instead of adding to the process is that kills it.

the reason why I mention this is because many mod developers completely change the process to get the same resource.
instead of adding to the process to create new things from it.
such example would be, light oil. not many people are using light oil or lubricant. So why not make a new process ADDING to the process so users can use light oil and lubricant more for things within game.
making the process of oil factory more expandable and useable in many other ways, instead of just constantly replacing the same process over and over with different mods..
you can only cut a chicken the same way but so many times, until it starts to get monotonous.

this is why I ask. :D
thanks
It doesnt force you to do it. Its something you can choose to do if you wish if you for example got no need for all that coal you are mining ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4132
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Klonan »

Cooolaid wrote:Is this a replacement of the process or an alternative / addition of it ?
I would like to keep the same process I have now.
But would be nice to have an alternative / addition just incase its needed.

I wish more mod developers made an alternative / additions to systems within game.
And let the player choose whether they would like it to replace or add to the system process within game or not by doing so within the config file.
or a GUI button selection ingame.

There are a few mods out there that replaces the entire process to do the same thing and completely ruin the entire process,
because the path it takes ruins the recipe for many other parts of the game.
I dont mind a challenge, its the entire replacement instead of adding to the process is that kills it.

the reason why I mention this is because many mod developers completely change the process to get the same resource.
instead of adding to the process to create new things from it.
such example would be, light oil. not many people are using light oil or lubricant. So why not make a new process ADDING to the process so users can use light oil and lubricant more for things within game.
making the process of oil factory more expandable and useable in many other ways, instead of just constantly replacing the same process over and over with different mods..
you can only cut a chicken the same way but so many times, until it starts to get monotonous.

this is why I ask. :D
thanks
I know what you are saying about some mods, they completely rework the recipes of the main game and can break a lot of stuff when you install them.
But all of my mods i create i make them so that they do not change anything in the base game, they wont break or alter any existing factory stuff you have, and can just be installed/removed with ease, and no worries about whether or not anything will break.

This mod serves as an additional way to create oil, alongside the traditional way of harvesting it from the ground. By installing it, you will see an additional research option in the game, which will unlock the recipes required.

I hope you try it out and enjoy it ;]

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:48 pm
Contact:

Re: [0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Cooolaid »

Klonan wrote:
I know what you are saying about some mods, they completely rework the recipes of the main game and can break a lot of stuff when you install them.
But all of my mods i create i make them so that they do not change anything in the base game, they wont break or alter any existing factory stuff you have, and can just be installed/removed with ease, and no worries about whether or not anything will break.

This mod serves as an additional way to create oil, alongside the traditional way of harvesting it from the ground. By installing it, you will see an additional research option in the game, which will unlock the recipes required.

I hope you try it out and enjoy it ;]
Thank you, I installed and and using it. :D
Im also happy you understood what I was trying to convey.

For example right now, I have a mod, (i don't know which one, because i updated so many mods to the newer version) that overwrote the base game, and now im stuck in a catch-22 loop
I can't make any pickaxes, and I can't build it by hand or machine.
I can't create a machine to build it, because I need the pickaxe to mine the resource, but I can't get the pickaxe because I need the machine to build the part, and I can't get the part because I dont have the machine or pickaxe.
see what i mean??......LOL

Then I also have different mods that are copying same things from one another, so now I am seeing that I am researching the same thing, but twice.
Once for one mod and once for the other mod, so on and so forth.
I am also seeing doubles and even triples of the same items but from different mods. (you should see the look on my face, trust me its priceless.)
It would seem that each mod dev is not looking out or paying attention to other mods or for other mods items and things. so now im getting doubles and triples of the same research and items. go figure... :roll:

So now I have to go through each of my mods and find out who screwed up my game...lol
:roll:

FalcoGer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 78
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:11 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by FalcoGer »

How about more use for the hydrogen? Like make fuel cells from it for use in trains or cars. Of course the fuel value should be below the amount used to make them to be realistic. Or maybe just turn a million tons of hydrogen into a solid fuel. :P
In addition to tree farm you can get free oil from the coal you make from wood. Although you would of course need a ginormous tree farm to supply the coal for a reasonable production. It's worth a try though, after all, green tech is always winning. With the new fluid logic system it is also possible to hold back some of the heavy oil to make more of it. All the nice things...

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by jorgenRe »

FalcoGer wrote:How about more use for the hydrogen? Like make fuel cells from it for use in trains or cars. Of course the fuel value should be below the amount used to make them to be realistic. Or maybe just turn a million tons of hydrogen into a solid fuel. :P
In addition to tree farm you can get free oil from the coal you make from wood. Although you would of course need a ginormous tree farm to supply the coal for a reasonable production. It's worth a try though, after all, green tech is always winning. With the new fluid logic system it is also possible to hold back some of the heavy oil to make more of it. All the nice things...
Well its a little bit harder than that. A hydrogen fuel cell would require lots of really rare and expensive resources we dont have to make the catalysator(i think it was platina). Hence even an efficiency of upto 85% (normally 40-60 %) would not be achievable with current resources :(!
Maybe ~50 % would be acievable with current resources, but then you really got not much of a reason to create those fuel cells. Unless you are running on solar of course ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:56 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Wyrm »

The depiction of hydrogen in your mod is inconsistent with that depicted in the rest of Factorio. Hydrogen is coded white in the base mod (petroleum gas is symbolized as ethene, C2H4), so its best if your mod is consistent with that.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 535
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:32 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by jorgenRe »

Wyrm wrote:The depiction of hydrogen in your mod is inconsistent with that depicted in the rest of Factorio. Hydrogen is coded white in the base mod (petroleum gas is symbolized as ethene, C2H4), so its best if your mod is consistent with that.
Oh yea you are totally right because the red blobs/balls are oxygen.
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 4132
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Klonan »

jorgenRe wrote:
Wyrm wrote:The depiction of hydrogen in your mod is inconsistent with that depicted in the rest of Factorio. Hydrogen is coded white in the base mod (petroleum gas is symbolized as ethene, C2H4), so its best if your mod is consistent with that.
Oh yea you are totally right because the red blobs/balls are oxygen.
the hydrogen is red because it is hot :]

Ok ok, maybe is not, but it is okay, because it is only cosmetic. Perhaps i will release an update sometime to change it ;)


Wiking
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:10 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Wiking »

Just wanted to pop in and comment on this amazing mod. Thanks a lot for making it!
It really saved my ass in a fun world I generated, where I realized too late I set the oil to lowest possible.

Still, had to modify the values from 3 heavy 2 light 1 petrol into 6 4 2 in the recipe.
I find the default values to be way way waaaaaaaaay too low, considering the huge amounts of coal you need to crack and giant infrastructure that needs to be powered.
Default values were giving me drops of petrol, while I had to run 10 Bergius Refineries and 100+ chemical plants to support the process, and still 2 Advanced Oil Processing refineries were more efficient when I could get some small amounts of oil.

roman566
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 10:53 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by roman566 »

I have noticed that it's impossible to use Productivity Modules with mod recipes. Is there a way to fix it?

Sleeeper
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 6:49 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by Sleeeper »

I had to rename water electrolysis tech in my game because the one with same name from bob's mods overwrites it.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 674
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:23 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by hoho »

Sleeeper wrote:I had to rename water electrolysis tech in my game because the one with same name from bob's mods overwrites it.
It would be nice if this mod was capable of using hydrogen made by other mods as well.

This mod uses "hydrogen-gas", most mobs I've seen use just plain "hydrogen".

mololabo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:35 pm
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by mololabo »

I agree that it'd be nice if it noticed if some of the more common mods like bobs mod was installed or not.

chainedlupine
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:35 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by chainedlupine »

Oh man, thank you for this mod.

I like to run a near-vanilla game but I really hate how oil becomes a huge time sink later in the game, forcing me to build annoying processing stations far away from my base.

This mod lets me utilize the far more easier to transport coal! It's breathed life into one of my worlds where I had tapped out all oil deposits within a huge distance of my base.

It lets me use coal but it doesn't feel cheat-y, since the yield is lower.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:29 am
Contact:

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Bergius Process

Post by BlakeMW »

roman566 wrote:I have noticed that it's impossible to use Productivity Modules with mod recipes. Is there a way to fix it?
edit (2016-06-24): You can simply install Enable Productivity Modules

This is like massively delayed, but I just found this mod and was wondering the same thing, you can do it by adding the following code to the mod, I add it to the end of recipe.lua:

Code: Select all

for k, v in pairs(data.raw.module) do
  if v.name:find("productivity%-module") and v.limitation then
    for _, recipe in ipairs({"bergius-process", "coal-liquefaction"}) do
      table.insert(v.limitation, recipe)
    end
  end
end
(Source: viewtopic.php?p=36272#p36272)


edit: I was also wondering if this is an over-unity reaction:

It consumes 8 coal to create a net profit of 1 heavy oil, 1 light oil, 2 petroleum

According to my calculations it should take 2MJ to make the 8 liquefied coal in the Chemical Plant, and 2.1MJ to perform the Bergius Process in the refinery.

8 Coal = 48MJ
Solid Fuel = 12.5 + 25 + 2 * 12.5 - (2 + 2.1) = 58.4MJ

So the reaction without eff modules generates a net energy profit of 22% and with eff modules a little more.
With my change to permit productivity modules it could probably be significantly more over-unity as it would generate 44% more products (actually more due to the 3 heavy oil being multiplied by 1.2) while the modules and beacons would only increase energy consumption by 2-3x, leading to a net yield in the ballpark of 80-85MJ.

Anyway I'm definitely not saying the recipe needs adjustment, I'm fine with over-unity, it was just my curiosity about whether the yield is on the stingy or generous side.
Last edited by BlakeMW on Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply

Return to “Mods”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vjbone