[MOD 0.12.26] Picker: Easily select items from inventory

Topics and discussion about specific mods
averan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.26] Picker: Easily select items from inventory

Post by averan »

Hi

I'm running into the following error when trying to mirror certain blueprints.

Code: Select all

Vector is not a safe distance from the tile edge. stack traceback: _ _ PickerExtended_ _/picker/blueprinter.lua:285: in function <_ _ PickerExtended_ _/picker/blueprinter.lua:280> [C]: in function pcall' _ _PickerExtended_ _/stdlib/event/event.lua:99: in function<_ _PickerExtended_ _/stdlib/event/event.lua:82>
I've tried narrowing down which blueprints are causing the issue, but without luck.

Btw
Thank you for some great mods, even if Arumba complains a lot...

Averan

EDIT: It has something to do with inserters, if I remove the inserters from the blueprint I can mirror it again.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

That is a Factorio bug that will be fixed in the next version of Factorio.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

A config option to remove sticky notes research would be nice. I'm a minimalist and don't really need or want them.

Also is there a way to make a quick cut/copy 1 time use blueprint - similar to the cut and paste mod? If not, any chance we'll see these 2 blueprints?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I will add more startup options for the next version

There is a pretty quick way to make a blueprint, pressing ctrl-Q over nothing will put an empty blueprint in your hand, pressing ctrl-Q over an entity will make a quick bp of the entity

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Nexela wrote:I will add more startup options for the next version

There is a pretty quick way to make a blueprint, pressing ctrl-Q over nothing will put an empty blueprint in your hand, pressing ctrl-Q over an entity will make a quick bp of the entity
Thanks.

The main difference with that method is the blueprint doesn't disappear afterwards so you end up with tons of 1 time use blueprints to delete. If you are ever bored or looking for more features to add, copy/cut "1 time use" blueprints are pretty handy. This is the addon I use: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mickael9/cut-and-paste

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Tyrindor wrote:

Thanks.

The main difference with that method is the blueprint doesn't disappear afterwards so you end up with tons of 1 time use blueprints to delete. If you are ever bored or looking for more features to add, copy/cut "1 time use" blueprints are pretty handy. This is the addon I use: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/mickael9/cut-and-paste
Hmmm, it should only ever create 1 blueprint. it first looks in you inventory for an existing picker-blueprint before making another. Also dropping them with "z" destroys them instantly

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Nexela wrote:
Tyrindor wrote:

Thanks.

Hmmm, it should only ever create 1 blueprint. it first looks in you inventory for an existing picker-blueprint before making another. Also dropping them with "z" destroys them instantly
Slight misunderstanding I think.

What that mod does is create a single use blueprint. You copy something, then use it immediately after, then it vanishes forever. It's really handy for when you're just copying something quickly, but don't need the blueprint afterwords. The cut blueprint is the same, but it marks everything for deconstruction, which basically makes it easy to move things without dealing with a left over blueprint. If you ever get time, feel free to try that mod I linked above, the benefits will become clear. :)

Luckily, I can just use both mods. You seem to be making an "all in one" mod here, so I figured I suggest adding single use blueprints. Your mod more or less can do the same thing already, you just have to go into your inventory afterwards and press Z to delete leftover blueprints. Over a few hours of playing, I tend to build up a lot of left over blueprints (bad habits), so I prefer single use blueprints in many cases.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

It'd be helpful to have a startup option to just leave things like reach distance and inventory size alone; I use mods that add research to increase these things, which seems to be fundamentally incompatible with picker extended just setting it to a particular number :)
There's lots of nice functionality in this mod, but it bothers me that it defaults to overriding the effects of other mods.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

torne wrote:
It'd be helpful to have a startup option to just leave things like reach distance and inventory size alone; I use mods that add research to increase these things, which seems to be fundamentally incompatible with picker extended just setting it to a particular number :)
There's lots of nice functionality in this mod, but it bothers me that it defaults to overriding the effects of other mods.
I agree! Which is why it has been changed for the next version of Picker Extended (which may not be until .16)

Firstly, I have removed all of the data "tweaks" from Picker Extended and moved them into their own mod "Picker Tweaks". Picker Tweaks is a collection of small tweaks during the data loading stage. None of the included tweaks should have any noticeable impact on gameplay (I.E no super recipes etc). Just simple tweaks like disabling smoke, Collision box changes, etc. All tweaks will have startup options that can be adjusted.

Secondly, in Picker Tweaks, The reach tweaks are now defaulted to vanilla values, However The checks are still in place to overwrite other mods data changes to reach. This does not affect mods that add reach research or use the API to set bonuses, With the exception that the base value used to determine the starting reach is set by "Picker Tweaks" (which will be vanilla values unless changed by you).

Secondly.2, Picker Tweaks in most cases only tweaks values if they are at vanilla default value for the item (with the exception of reach stuff). So if you have a mod that increases your inventory size to 10k for some reason. Picker tweaks won't go and reset it back to 60. (this is already the case with the current version of Picker Extended)

Thirdly, Picker Extended will have more startup options to disable some of the enhancements. (like notes)

Odhrean
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Odhrean »

The upcomming changes sounds good.
Is there a reason that you will likly release it only after .16 is out?
Could take some time until we have the new version then...

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Any idea what feature is doing a massive amounts of calculations while the cursor is moving? According to the debug log, when I am moving my cursor this mod is roughly 150 times more demanding than my next most demanding mod. When I stop moving the cursor, it goes back down. This isn't a problem unless your in a megabase, but the UPS drops about 10 when moving the cursor only when this mod is installed. I tried disabling every feature i could and nothing fixed it. Any ideas what feature is doing all those calculations?

A standalone mod for tweaks seems best, glad you are going that route and maybe it will help this issue.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

A standalone tweaks mod probably won't help that issue unfortunately.

Do you have the latest version of Picker Extended? There were some performance improvements to fix what you describe.
If you can upload your map and mods I will be willing to take a look and see what I can optimize to make it better. Chances are it is related to the flashlight stuff.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

Nexela wrote:A standalone tweaks mod probably won't help that issue unfortunately.

Do you have the latest version of Picker Extended? There were some performance improvements to fix what you describe.
If you can upload your map and mods I will be willing to take a look and see what I can optimize to make it better. Chances are it is related to the flashlight stuff.
First thing I tried was disabling the flashlight feature. It seems to only happen when hovering over entities. On a new map it doesn't increase calculations much when hovering over entities, at least according to the debug log. On any medium or larger size base it starts doing more calculations than even the bottleneck mod as I hover over entities.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Howdy. Will you add a mod option (map) to disable notes and signs, please? I like Picker for QoL, but I don't like it adding extra in-game items or tech clutter.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

doktorstick wrote:Howdy. Will you add a mod option (map) to disable notes and signs, please? I like Picker for QoL, but I don't like it adding extra in-game items or tech clutter.
Hm, I thought I did a release with an option to disable. If not it will be there in .16 Sticky notes will still be available on entities but the tech/recipe ones will be a seperate add-on.

npuldon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by npuldon »

When you click on the belt brush plus sign to increase the number of lanes for transport belts the gui moves down and is replaced by the blueprint mirroring tool. I'm not sure why the mirror tool pops up but if you want it there could you have it pop BELOW the belt brush so we don't have to move the mouse after the first click or click the mirroring tool by mistake?

Thank you

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Picker Extended has gotten a lot of features not necessary picker tool related.
I'd suggest splitting it into feature focused smaller mods so we can pick only parts we want instead of having to disable 20+ options when all you want is having the dollies.

Categories could looks something like this:
  • picker core
    picker functionality like Dollies, Crafter, Item Count, minimap autohide, ...
  • planer manager
    Entity Blueprinter, additional Planners, Zapper, ...
  • Hotkeys manager
    equipment toggles, train honk, keys to hide ui elements, ...
  • sticky notes
  • tweaks not related to other categories

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

I might be willing to do a release of just the dollies. but I don't plan on splitting up picker any more than it already is (extended(control scripts) and tweaks(prototype only tweaks). I will entertain renaming it to QOL if you want :)

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

npuldon wrote:When you click on the belt brush plus sign to increase the number of lanes for transport belts the gui moves down and is replaced by the blueprint mirroring tool. I'm not sure why the mirror tool pops up but if you want it there could you have it pop BELOW the belt brush so we don't have to move the mouse after the first click or click the mirroring tool by mistake?

Thank you
I will add this to list of things to fix when I migrate to mod-gui. (PS the + and - (terrain size change keys) will also change the number of lanes)

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Nexela wrote:I might be willing to do a release of just the dollies. but I don't plan on splitting up picker any more than it already is (extended(control scripts) and tweaks(prototype only tweaks). I will entertain renaming it to QOL if you want :)
Fair enough. Dollies are so far the only feature I use that I couldn't find as stand alone mod.

Return to “Mods”