[MOD 0.12.x] Nixie Tubes - numeric display elements

Topics and discussion about specific mods
GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Nixie Tubes - numeric display elements

Post by GopherAtl »

DOSorDIE wrote:In the new Version you forget to disalbe the "Debug Mode" in config.lua
ack. Dammit. Deliberately didn't commit that file to the repo, but neglected to revert it before zipping it up XD will fix in place within one minute of this post, thanks for telling me. That would be annoying XD

:edit: unless google keeps a cached version on github for a while, it should be fixed now. Thanks again.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

This looks like a super nice mod, and I'll definitely be including it in my next MP game, planned to start soon after alpha 13.1 or 13.2 comes out (so, with luck, late August).

One bit of information is missing, though: What is the build cost of each Nixie Tube? It's not very important to know in advance of deciding whether or not to download and try the mod, since it's quite unlikely that you've made them overly expensive or sillily cheap to make. But as a matter of principle, how much does each one cost to build?

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Peter34 wrote:This looks like a super nice mod, and I'll definitely be including it in my next MP game, planned to start soon after alpha 13.1 or 13.2 comes out (so, with luck, late August).

One bit of information is missing, though: What is the build cost of each Nixie Tube? It's not very important to know in advance of deciding whether or not to download and try the mod, since it's quite unlikely that you've made them overly expensive or sillily cheap to make. But as a matter of principle, how much does each one cost to build?
Thanks, glad you like the idea, hopefully you'll like it even more when you use it :)

I'll add the recipe to the OP, just hadn't thought about it. They cost 2 iron plates, 9 iron sticks, and 1 electronic circuit, so a bit more expensive than lamps but not particularly expensive. Do require a mk 2 assembling machine, in the (unlikely?) event you're not happy to hand-assemble them (.5s, like all good recipes not expected to be used in mass quantities)
My Mods:

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Oh by the way in answer to your question earlier, shadows are not a separate layer. Not sure how Factorio gets around the shadow overlap problem, except possibly by drawing entities to the right above entities to the left.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

GotLag wrote:Oh by the way in answer to your question earlier, shadows are not a separate layer. Not sure how Factorio gets around the shadow overlap problem, except possibly by drawing entities to the right above entities to the left.
I asked becasue cars, specifically, seem to have the shadows in a separate sprite strip. In general, with a single sprite, it seems that yes, entities to the right go over entities to the left, and entities down go over entities above, so shadows, being cast mostly to the right, tend to sort themselves out just fine. After thinking further on it, I suspect cars have separate shadows for reasons related to the color-changing ability of cars, based on the force color of the player driving them? but that's just a guess, and it's not really important here, they're sorting themselves out just fine as-is. Thanks again for the sprite work, they look great.
My Mods:

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

GopherAtl wrote:
GotLag wrote:Oh by the way in answer to your question earlier, shadows are not a separate layer. Not sure how Factorio gets around the shadow overlap problem, except possibly by drawing entities to the right above entities to the left.
I asked becasue cars, specifically, seem to have the shadows in a separate sprite strip. In general, with a single sprite, it seems that yes, entities to the right go over entities to the left, and entities down go over entities above, so shadows, being cast mostly to the right, tend to sort themselves out just fine. After thinking further on it, I suspect cars have separate shadows for reasons related to the color-changing ability of cars, based on the force color of the player driving them? but that's just a guess, and it's not really important here, they're sorting themselves out just fine as-is. Thanks again for the sprite work, they look great.
Walls also have seperate shadows, but that may be to save on VRam seeing as shadows can be reused for some states of the object ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

Would be cool if the player was able to change the color of the digital readout.
White, Red, Blue, Green, Lime, Yellow, Purple, Pink..... etc etc. you know.... the usual 16 colors :D

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Could be doable if the digits were grayscale, with a coloured overlay in multiplicative mode.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Cooolaid wrote:Would be cool if the player was able to change the color of the digital readout.
White, Red, Blue, Green, Lime, Yellow, Purple, Pink..... etc etc. you know.... the usual 16 colors :D
That could be a good idea!

Another thing that might be very nice, would be additional Nixies that don't show numbers and aren't connected to wires, but instead are crafted to show a specific letter (still with some light effect), so that signs can be built out of these pseudo-Nixies That way, the letter pseudo-Nixies can be used as labels for the numerical Nixies.

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

I don't suppose there's any way to display the item icon in the left most tube?

Or how about strings? Have a sequence of them take a string (like a station) and use the linked tubes to show each letter.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

displaying the items would be ... I dunno. I mean, I could pull the icon, but that would break the immersion in my mind - even though immersion in factorio is more theoretical than actual, at least for me XD I mean, it wouldn't be something you could possibly be displaynig on a nixie tube that way, and doing bent-wire symbols for every item would, for one, end up being confusing as hell (so many things come in variants differentiated only by color) and also a crazy amount of work. :edit: What you can do is just plonk one of the item in a chest next to the number, it'll display the icon for you in alt mode XD

An alphanumeric set of tubes would certainly be doable; it'd be kindof anglocentric, as I can't imagine any way they could be generated dynamically, and there's no way I could build a set with full unicode support while they're using static graphics, and factorio seems to have a very international audience. It's something I'd like to have myself, though, so... if my volunteer graphics guy can be talked into making the sprites, maybe? What do you think, GotLag?
My Mods:

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Mod is working very well and I'm using it all around my factory. Adding colored numbers would be great.

DOSorDIE
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DOSorDIE »

GopherAtl wrote:What you can do is just plonk one of the item in a chest next to the number, it'll display the icon for you in alt mode XD
I lay a piece of zb. iron-plate right to the numbers ... so i know for how it is ... and make a white concrete (its a mod) as underground.
Infos.jpg
Infos.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 8526 times

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Really nice mod.
Found a little issue, you can enter the car. When trying to move it damages the lamp (i guess). Already made a pull request. Seems you changed the name of the car somewhere and forgot to change it in the event.
DOSorDIE wrote:zb.
Should be e.g. (couldn't resist, sorry) :mrgreen:

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Choumiko wrote:Really nice mod.
Found a little issue, you can enter the car. When trying to move it damages the lamp (i guess). Already made a pull request. Seems you changed the name of the car somewhere and forgot to change it in the event.
Whoops! pr accepted, nice catch, thanks!

:edit: and 0.1.6 pushed out with this fix.
My Mods:

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

Thx for the wunderfull mod!

I must renamed the folder from nixie-tubes to nixie-tubes_0.1.6 and it works .. lgs

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Alexs wrote:Thx for the wunderfull mod!

I must renamed the folder from nixie-tubes to nixie-tubes_0.1.6 and it works .. lgs
was the zip not named properly? :checks: Oooh, the folder in the zip isn't, so it doesn't work if you unpack it as-is. My mistake, though not sure how I wound up with the folder not having the same name as the zip that time.. will fix later today, no new version just updating the .zip, no time right now tho.

:edit: found time. zip is updated, will work if unzipped as well now.
My Mods:

Alexs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alexs »

it's just a fantastic mod .. so cool! very good work!! :D

Jamaica_MURR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jamaica_MURR »

TADAM!

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

Jamaica_MURR wrote:Image
TADAM!
Yes, uhm, very nice.

Not to step on your Chris Rock, drop-the-mic-and-walk-offstage moment or anything, but .... :cough: (note the date on the post)
My Mods:

Return to “Mods”