[MOD 0.15] SmartTrains 2.0.5

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Phantum
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] SmartTrains 1.1.7

Post by Phantum »

Choumiko wrote:That's how it works, no ambiguities. (The only exception would be a line with mapping where the destination station doesn't have a mapping assigned, but the whole discussion is about such an advanced/exotic feature that i would flat out say that case would be an user error :lol: )

Alright, next update will include that change + support/integration of another train mod i'm working on (Not much, just collecting some statistics like avg. Roundtrip time, time spent/wasted at signals, etc.)
do you have any/know of any tutorials on how the station mapping works? still trying to wrap my mind around it lol
---
I am a Streamer,
Fallen Sun Gaming by Name,
Factorio is Sometimes my Game.
For Some Goodness
Join me
on http://www.twitch.tv/fallensungaming

FSG may or may not be subliminally implanted in this signature

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Phantum wrote:do you have any/know of any tutorials on how the station mapping works? still trying to wrap my mind around it lol
There's nothing complex about it. It's just a way to "renumber" the stations.

Let's say you have

#1 Iron 1
#2 Coal 1
#3 Smelting
#4 Iron 2

and now you make a mapping for station #3 (Smelting) to number #10.

Then your new "numbering" would be

#1 Iron 1
#2 Coal 1
#10 Smelting
#4 Iron 2

That is, station #3 would no longer exist, because it's now mapped to #10.

I don't think it does affect the "natural order" in the schedule, it's only effective when you use numbers to specify a destination (either from a signal or with an explicit "go to" rule).
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Side2005
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Side2005 »

I honestly need some help with getting this mod to work :/ me and my friend didnt figure it out even after 6 hours.

I want to implement a trivial schedule for testing purpose and to get comfortable with the new mod. but no even this works.

What i did:

Train line schedule : Iron
#1: Iron Unload (no mapping, no signal, no station)
#2 Iron load 1 inventory full OR Time passed (30s): Goto Signal# (no mapping, signal A, no station)
#3 Iron load 2 inventory full OR Time passed (30s): Goto Signal# (no mapping, signal A, no station)

Definitition of signal A:
read smarttrainstation output -> decider combinator input
Decider Combinator: Input: if cargo > 15k Iron; Output: Signal D; Output -> Arithmetic Combinator
Arithmetic combinator: Input: signal D; Output: Signal D * 1 (to make sure its value is 1); Output -> Signal Lamp
Signal Lamp: Input: Signal D>0; Output: Nothing

I know this is a really easy and trivial setup and im sure it can be done much faster, but i really want to see how it works correctly. im sure that i am the problem :P

However this is my latest version of my trial&error, i really tried different versions and also hardcoded it with a constant combinator- but it doenst work either.
What am i missing?

Quazaka
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Quazaka »

I can not get the train to skip directly to the specified station retrieved though the lamp signal :(
Please take a look at the picture attached and tell me where i am doing wrong.

The circuit is connected to the lamp, i have checked.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (364.59 KiB) Viewed 9321 times

Timmiej93
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Timmiej93 »

Upon loading a save, all my trains have my refueling station in their schedule. This does not go away, the refueling station is permanently there.
I checked the lines, but they don't contain the refueling station.
Is this a known bug?

I misunderstood the refueling setting. I thought they were per train, but they are per locomotive. My apologies.
Last edited by Timmiej93 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IngoKnieto
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by IngoKnieto »

Quazaka wrote:I can not get the train to skip directly to the specified station retrieved though the lamp signal :(
Please take a look at the picture attached and tell me where i am doing wrong.

The circuit is connected to the lamp, i have checked.
If you use the Station-ID-Signal also as condition in your train schedule, you need to connect the lamp to the station as well. If I see it correct, the lamp signal does not overwrite the wait condition from the schedule.

This is how I do it:

- The signal D=3 arrives through the red bus, so the train is supposed to go to Station #3 in the schedule. (just realize D=3 is a bad example, cause this is the station where train currently sits ;) Imagine D=4)
- D=4 arrives at the lamp, matches the enabled condition and thus is put through to the train telling it to go to station #4 in the schedule
- However: at the current station "0 Depot D" there is a wait condition with a circuit condition configured (I suppose you did this too). So you have to connect the D signal also to the smart train stop. Then the train knows where to go (through the lamp signal) and that he has to start going (through the circuit condition in the schedule).

Hope I explained that well :)
signal.png
signal.png (432.57 KiB) Viewed 9257 times

Estamio
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Estamio »

Some reason the Smart Train Station will not remove the fueling station when it has done refueling. This destroys my build somewhat

Edit* I am a big dummy! Apparently I was watching the old tutorial and the ST settings accounted for Total coal... Not per locomotive.. I love this mod!

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

Hello All!

First of all Many thanks Choumiko for the great mod. I'm enjoying it and FARL a lot! I love trains in factorio and combinators so dangerous combination :D xD. So I was doing a simple system to command my lines via signals with the goto signal# option in the lines. It works perfectly once you learn to cable it properly :mrgreen:. So I came up with the idea that if I'd be able to assign a train that it is stopped in a smart station to a line, it'd be easy to control the trains since you'd obly need the depot to check if a train is needed, add it to the corresponding line and then the "line control" would operate, that can be automatic or programming also with signals for different routes/resources/whatever. Once you can create as many lines as you want you could have trains doing different lines without the need of sending them signals for every step but you could send them to modify the behavior inside the line. So that would be my main question, if you have thought about it. I didn't read all the thread since it is 20 pages so If i'm asking a repeated question or you have investigated or discussed this topic already I'm sorry for repeating.

I've been also trying the traincoupler mod with the idea of doing a fully automated train yard building trains on demand but when i decouple the trains they leave the "line" of the smart trains but I imagine I have to talk to NiftyManiac to see if he can fix it. If in addition i could assing the trains to another line in the station, then the train "built" on the trainyard could join it's corresponding line, different train configurations could be built and sent to their corresponding depot. If we had an automatic train placer in factorio that would be also possible!

Thank you and please keep the good work going, these mods bring factorio to another level of fun and complexity!

trqwe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by trqwe »

Hi, I'm trying to read the contents of the cargo wagons of my train.
Example attached.

The train has one cargo wagon, with some iron plates in it. I attach a wire to a light, and set it to enabled if iron plates > 0. However, it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (571.91 KiB) Viewed 8988 times

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

To read the contents of a train you need to use a "smart" train stop (and the train must be in automatic mode at the station). Connect your wire to the combinator on the smart station and you will see all of the signals (including cargo) for the train.

Zakharov
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Zakharov »

I've set my trains to go to a train stop signaled by the circuit network, then return home (to station 1). The problem is that they don't refuel - it adds it to the schedule, but since all the train movement is controlled, it never visits the refuel station. I can fix it it by manually adding a refuel check to the circuit network that works out destinations, but it would be nice for automatic refueling to force the train to refuel.

trqwe
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by trqwe »

Nexela wrote:To read the contents of a train you need to use a "smart" train stop (and the train must be in automatic mode at the station). Connect your wire to the combinator on the smart station and you will see all of the signals (including cargo) for the train.
Got it, thanks! I thought the mod just augmented normal train stops, instead of creating a whole new entity.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

cid0rz wrote:Hello All!

First of all Many thanks Choumiko for the great mod. I'm enjoying it and FARL a lot! I love trains in factorio and combinators so dangerous combination :D xD. So I was doing a simple system to command my lines via signals with the goto signal# option in the lines. It works perfectly once you learn to cable it properly :mrgreen:. So I came up with the idea that if I'd be able to assign a train that it is stopped in a smart station to a line, it'd be easy to control the trains since you'd obly need the depot to check if a train is needed, add it to the corresponding line and then the "line control" would operate, that can be automatic or programming also with signals for different routes/resources/whatever. Once you can create as many lines as you want you could have trains doing different lines without the need of sending them signals for every step but you could send them to modify the behavior inside the line. So that would be my main question, if you have thought about it. I didn't read all the thread since it is 20 pages so If i'm asking a repeated question or you have investigated or discussed this topic already I'm sorry for repeating.

I've been also trying the traincoupler mod with the idea of doing a fully automated train yard building trains on demand but when i decouple the trains they leave the "line" of the smart trains but I imagine I have to talk to NiftyManiac to see if he can fix it. If in addition i could assing the trains to another line in the station, then the train "built" on the trainyard could join it's corresponding line, different train configurations could be built and sent to their corresponding depot. If we had an automatic train placer in factorio that would be also possible!

Thank you and please keep the good work going, these mods bring factorio to another level of fun and complexity!
If i understand correctly you want to be able to assign a trainline to a train via the circuit network? That's a neat idea i think, i'll add it to my todo list for after the 0.15 changes :D
Zakharov wrote:I've set my trains to go to a train stop signaled by the circuit network, then return home (to station 1). The problem is that they don't refuel - it adds it to the schedule, but since all the train movement is controlled, it never visits the refuel station. I can fix it it by manually adding a refuel check to the circuit network that works out destinations, but it would be nice for automatic refueling to force the train to refuel.
Yes, i'm aware of that issue (or was aware before my 4 month break from doing anything Factorio related :D ) For the time being you could also just add fuel loading to your home station(s). I think eventually i'll change it so that a train checks whether it needs refueling before going to the requested station. If it needs refueling it goes to the refueling stations and after refueling to the requested station.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14] SmartTrains 1.1.5

Post by Choumiko »

Updated to SmartTrains 2.0.0
  • Updated for Factorio 0.15.x

cid0rz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by cid0rz »

Choumiko wrote: If i understand correctly you want to be able to assign a trainline to a train via the circuit network? That's a neat idea i think, i'll add it to my todo list for after the 0.15 changes :D
That is right! I think it would be very nice since you can plan "routes" or even have multiple depots for very big bases and switch trains from one to other depending on the needs.

I migrated with a very complex build with trains dispatched by circuit network in function of demand and availability, similar to siggboy's one ^^ I was afraid sth got broken but let me congratulate you because migration was perfect!

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15] SmartTrains 2.0.0

Post by doxsroxs »

I have run a rather large train network with Siggboys system and a few modifications of my own.
My major issue with that system is that it does not scale properly and the computation power of the central unit is diminished as more stations are added to the network.
Once you are past a couple of hundred stations it simply takes to long.

I would now like to build a new network but one of the problems is that the current system is based on train routes.
While I can make it work, it is something I would like to remove since it is only a source of problems for me.

Is it possitble to remove the train routes completely and just send the train to a station number?
If so I can build a decentralized peer to peer system where trains are sent where they are needed.
This would also require each station to be assigned a station number when placed but would greatly simplify the building process once the system is in place and reduce the risk for runaway trains going rampant through the system.
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

doxsroxs wrote:Is it possitble to remove the train routes completely and just send the train to a station number?
As in a train only has one station in the schedule (the depot) and gets sent to whatever station number is sent over the circuit network? The train would add the station to the schedule go there and wait for another station to go there etc (removing the non depot station whenever it leaves)?
By removing the routes you mean making the goto station rule available for each train individually?

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Hey I had a issue with Smart Trains deleting a Schedule I think it was while ridding it (says my mate)

doxsroxs
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doxsroxs »

Choumiko wrote:
doxsroxs wrote:Is it possitble to remove the train routes completely and just send the train to a station number?
As in a train only has one station in the schedule (the depot) and gets sent to whatever station number is sent over the circuit network? The train would add the station to the schedule go there and wait for another station to go there etc (removing the non depot station whenever it leaves)?
By removing the routes you mean making the goto station rule available for each train individually?
Yes Choumiko, I want to be able to order any train to go anywhere from any existing station. (Im really surprised this is not in the base game already)

I do not see the need for a depot though since it could become a throughput bottleneck. I want to build a peer to peer system where the circuits to handle all train orders. (including refuel if needed)
I guess the stations will also need a unique station # that can be read and referenced even when they are not in a trainline.
The best scenario would be if new stations are assigned a unique station # when placed.
Send train to station ID using combinator signal is a long overdue feature!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74663

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

My friend has 2 refuel stations:

https://i.imgur.com/XdeP7c4.png

He says it keeps adding them one after the other in a sense rather then actually keeping it removed off the list when he fuels.

https://i.imgur.com/JIrVxaV.png

Return to “Mods”