[MOD 0.15] SmartTrains 2.0.5

Topics and discussion about specific mods
nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.30+] SmartTrains 0.3.82

Post by nmid »

flabort wrote:I'm guessing by the fact that the OP was last edited today, and the DemoSave was apparently "not downloaded yet", the demo save has been updated and you should try the new version. :D
I'm on .33 so I can't run the save file that's loaded with the experimental .35.

Perhaps later.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

flabort wrote:I'm guessing by the fact that the OP was last edited today, and the DemoSave was apparently "not downloaded yet", the demo save has been updated and you should try the new version. :D
nmid wrote:I'm on .33 so I can't run the save file that's loaded with the experimental .35.
Yeah, forgot to make a post. I guess .35 should be declared stable this week.
siggboy wrote:I have found a bug (that unfortunately screws over my scheduler big time :)):

Sometimes, when a train arrives at a Smart Station, then the combinator will output a Train=1 signal more than once.

1. Can be get a bugfix for this?
2. Alternatively, if you implement the feature that actually outputs a (single) pulse when the train leaves, then this bug won't be a problem anymore because we could use the pulse directly and won't have to add an edge detection.
1: There it is: https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains ... ag/v0.3.93 As far as i was able to reproduce it, it only happened when you opened and closed a locomotive ui before it arrived at a station. Closing a loco forced the train to update the line, leading to a doubled state change. Now it will only update if you actually changed something in the vanilla schedule (which isn't recommended for trains on a line anyways)
2: Soon ;)

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Choumiko wrote:1: There it is: https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains ... ag/v0.3.93 As far as i was able to reproduce it, it only happened when you opened and closed a locomotive ui before it arrived at a station. Closing a loco forced the train to update the line, leading to a doubled state change. Now it will only update if you actually changed something in the vanilla schedule (which isn't recommended for trains on a line anyways)
Yes, this is absolutely possible because it happened more frequently while I was trying to find out why it happens, so while I was fumbling with the train UIs a lot. If only all bugs became easier to track down while you're actually looking for them (instead of harder, which is usually the case, cf. Heisenbug).

Thanks for fixing it so quickly. I've also added a workaround to my scheduler, but even better if the underlying problem is gone.

I like the new version with the new UI, a lot. The changes make so much sense it's really much better. I nominate you for Employee of the (at least) Month :mrgreen:

Also found zero problems with the new version (after the UI thing was hotfixed), it works really nicely. The green lamp at the station is lovely, it looks cool and makes it easier to distinguish from other lamps that you've put there.

(I've also finally updated TheFatController, you've worked hard on that one too, the train renaming is great and finally the messages make sense in the UI. Good stuff.)
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

siggboy wrote:I like the new version with the new UI, a lot. The changes make so much sense it's really much better. I nominate you for Employee of the (at least) Month :mrgreen:
99% of the new UI is the work of enkindle, so all thanks to him :) I just kept delaying work on the UI
siggboy wrote:Also found zero problems with the new version (after the UI thing was hotfixed), it works really nicely. The green lamp at the station is lovely, it looks cool and makes it easier to distinguish from other lamps that you've put there.
I can think of some issues that might be there (but a lot of them are in the "official" version too). Mostly it revolves about updating lines. Right now i think it is possible that a train on a line will stay at a station forever if you remove the conditions from that station while a train is there, not sure though.
I'm probably going to make a proper release this weekend and even try to make a 0.13 prerelease and see if i can get Klonan or any other dev to test it. The circuit API changes are a bit confusing if you can't test it.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

I've found another small bug: when you edit a line, then the "line number" setting is reset to "0". I guess this is not intended.
Is your railroad worrying you? Doctor T-Junction recommends: Smart, dynamic train deliveries with combinator Magick

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

UI to toggle Autorefuel and Autodepart per train (opens when you open the standard train UI)
UI for Autorefuel/-depart settings (Button "ST-Settings" at the top left corner when train or train-stop gui is open)

I know i'm probably missing something basic, but how do I open up the UI?
I can't seem to find the UI for smart trains.

Going to post my mod list here, to check if one of my mods is causing problems.

Code: Select all

{
    "mods": [
        {
            "name": "base",
            "enabled": "true"
        },
        {
            "name": "Power armor mk3",
        },
        {
            "name": "actuator",
        },
        {
            "name": "additionaloilrefineries",
        },
        {
            "name": "advanced-logistics-system",
        },
        {
            "name": "air-filtering",
        },
        {
            "name": "Aircraft",
        },
        {
            "name": "autowire",
            "enabled": "false"
        },
        {
            "name": "BigBags",
        },
        {
            "name": "blueprint_flipper",
        },
        {
            "name": "BridgeRailway",
        },
        {
            "name": "electric-switch",
        },
        {
            "name": "EvoGUI",
        },
        {
            "name": "FARL",
        },
        {
            "name": "fluid-barrel",
        },
        {
            "name": "Foreman",
        },
        {
            "name": "Landfill",
        },
        {
            "name": "Logistics Railway",
        },
        {
            "name": "micro-accumulator",
        },
        {
            "name": "ModuleInserter",
        },
        {
            "name": "Power-armor-mk3_0.1.0",
        },
        {
            "name": "pressure-floor",
        },
        {
            "name": "RailTanker",
        },
        {
            "name": "Rename Trains",
        },
        {
            "name": "research-queue",
            "enabled": "false"
        },
        {
            "name": "RoboCharge",
        },
        {
            "name": "robotMiningSite",
        },
        {
            "name": "sensor",
        },
        {
            "name": "Single-Splitter",
        },
        {
            "name": "SmartTrains",
        },
        {
            "name": "stopnamekeeper",
        },
        {
            "name": "StraightCars",
        },
        {
            "name": "tanks_for_bob",
        },
        {
            "name": "TheFatController",
        },
        {
            "name": "TimeTools",
        },
        {
            "name": "true-long-reach",
        },
        {
            "name": "WaterWell",
        },
        {
            "name": "YARM",
        }
    ]
}
When I load the save game (after updating to .12.35), I get this error message.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

nmid wrote:When I load the save game (after updating to .12.35), I get this error message.
That isn't an actual error message. It means that SmartTrains is deactivated for some reason.
The only reason i can think of is if you are using an outdated version of Railtanker. Latest version: https://github.com/Choumiko/RailTanker/releases/latest

If Railtankers version is < than 1.1.1, Factorio will deactivate SmartTrains without telling you. Make sure the mod is active after starting Factorio. If it is then open a locomotives schedule (or a trainstop) and the UI should show up

Sneaking in (yet) another prelrelease: https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains ... ag/v0.3.94

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

Thank you so much for that pic.

You not only solved my problem, but also ensured that I'll be able to check dependencies on my own next time.
I didn't realise/notice the mod dependencies (optional/supported) ">" indicated what minimum version you should have, if you have a related mod installed.

Thanks again!!

nmid
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nmid »

I've been trying to go through the 35 pages, but after each page I want to get back into the game :p

This mod sure is a lot of fun.

A few comments while I was going through the thread.. 1st 12 pages so far.
Choumiko wrote: A quick howto on trainlines:
(SNIP)
If the normal waiting time is passed the train will still leave
You can change the time in ST-Settings ("Min. waiting time" and "Interval for autodepart")
Qs. I'm having issues with the 'wait forever' setting + if I manually set time to 30 secs in the game's default UI.
The train listens to the manual setting of 30 secs :( ?

I read your 1st post (quoted part above) and tried to set "stay for ever" + load, but it's not staying for ever / till the train fully loads (as you've already indicated).

I have read what you said about "stay for ever" being a problem due to depleted outposts, but I still wanted that option.
Perhaps some alert if a train has been at a loading station for too long?

Also, In the save game file, the UI showed a very high figure of 71513531509 (or something) seconds.
I'm only able to set a wait time of 200 secs.

Qs. Does this update after 4 seconds in the schedule GUI, or only after I close it or after it comes to the station and leaves it?
Going to test it out now that I've thought of all these options, while writing this. lol.

Qs. If I'm loading stuff into the cargo wagon, can I close off part of the wagon .. say 500/2500? Will the smart train station correctly recognise the wagon as full if it is 500/500 (even if the total wagon is 2500).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Choumiko wrote:Updated to 0.3.6
  • added signal output for cargo to smart train stop, with special signals for # of locomotives,cargowagons
    • locomotive signal is set to -1 when no train at a stop
    • every train at a smart stop updates signal, even if not on a line
[*]combine (AND) full/empty rule with circuit rule when both are set
You can now select the full/empty rule and the circuit rule, in this case the train will only leave if both are true.
Love the "AND" update.

Qs. Not able to figure out how to use the signal# though and how to use it in combination with all the other rule sets.
There's a signal for the smart trainstop + there's a signal that goes to a station #.. the nomenclature confused me a bit, but I think by mucking around with it, I've gotten the hang of it.
Going to go back into the game now and test it further.

I'm suggesting differentiating the signal / station words in the rules GUI.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can you add your explanation to the front page.. along with an updated GUI pic

waduk wrote:Noob question, please correct me of my understanding of the ST and rules setting :
Choumiko wrote:
waduk wrote:The demosave files is crashing on load, can't learn from the example files :roll:
Any error log?
waduk wrote:Min waiting time : Does this overide the value we set in every train ?
Say i set one train A to stay at train stop 1 for 0 seconds then it's will be overwrite internally as 4 seconds instead ?

Interval for auto depart : Does this is the value in seconds the train will leave after the condition in rules have been met to depart ?
Say the rules is the train to depart when full, then wait 2 seconds before depart ? If i set for zero, they will depart immediately ?

Interval for signal : Same as above, but ticks instead of seconds ?

Min. flow rate : I have no idea.

Signal in rules : I have no idea, what kind of signal ?
Min waiting time: Controls when the first check for Full/Empty/Autodepart is made after the train arrives at the station. If this is higher than your time in the schedule the train should ignore these rules (i think).

Interval for auto depart: Controls when SmartTrains checks/updates the rules. E.g. 4 seconds after arriving: 1st check, 6sec. after arrival: 2nd check etc. As soon as a rule is true the train leaves. You can lower it to 1second if you want faster response, might cost you some FPS/UPS though.

Interval for signals: Same as above, only that it affects the update rate of the SmartTrain stops and the signal rule only

Min flow rate: Only used for RailTankerMod and the (Auto)Depart: every flow below this value is considered to be zero (you can get crazy low changes when a Railtanker is nearly full, like 0.0000001234)

Signal in rules: 1. signal checkbox: Makes trains only leave when the condition you set on the lamp at the smart train stop is true. 2nd signal checkbox: Makes the train go to the station number that the lamp condition gets from the circuit network. (numbers for your schedule would be 1 for "Coal Unload", 2 for "Coal 1")

I need to update that gui, make a better documentation and a demo save that works for everybody. So much to do :shock:
Nice screenshots
waduk wrote: Image
Imp things to remember
Vin wrote:
Just so I'm understanding properly - if I attach/detach a wagon, I'll have to re-add the train to whichever route I had it on?

Yes exactly, decoupling/coupling now is like mining a wagon/locomotive from a train (or adding a wagon). As far as SmartTrains is concerned, it's a new train and has the default SmartTrain settings.
Mod: FARL (Rail Layer)
I've read about the L + C config and how SmartTrains recognises/classifies what train type (Loco/Cargo) is running in a particular line.
Does making a change to a train still need a re-addition to the line, or has this behaviour been updated?

Need to check myself in the game
Choumiko wrote:Image

The smart train stop isn't included in the blueprint, since it doesn't really work when placed by robots. Just connect it up like the lamp and constant combinator (they can be removed) in the blueprint.

Trainline with rules set. This will make trains wait at Item Load until they are full. At Item Unload/Unload 2/Unload 3 they will wait for 30 seconds or when they are empty before they will go to Item Load, skipping stations. When they are not emptied within 30 seconds they'll go to the next station. Since you obviously have a use for that, let me know what you think about this: https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains/issues/6
Right now i'm leaning towards not a bug as it seems usefull.
String
PS: The blueprint will have the lamp be on even if there's no train at the station. This can be prevented by an additional combinator but i think it doesn't matter, since it works without.
====================
Got to continue reading from The Lone Wolfling's posts on page 12.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi all, may I know is there any way to copy the settings of a line to another line, or create a new line based on an existing one?
Let's say I have a mining line with 4 stations, where the first station is the mine. Now I want to create a new line that goes to another mine. Is there any way to do it easily so that the settings from the previous line can be copied to the new line?
Before someone can tell me, I have to check the existing line to be active for the new train, then change the first station to new mine, and "Read from UI". The troublesome part is that I have to set the conditions again. I will be pleased if someone can tell me how to copy settings from the previous line (or if it will be implemented). :)

Also, another question about that 4 stations. Currently, the 4 stations are: 1) the ore mine, 2) ore decider, 3) smelting, 4) empty. Trains load ore from 1) and then go to 2) to have their cargoes checked. If they have ore inside, they will be assigned to 3) to unload and back to 1) as a loop. Otherwise, if they have nothing inside when passing through 2), they will be assigned to 4) and wait forever, so when I check the minimap, I know the mine is depleted and should make another mining site. Do you think it is good? Is there anyway to make it better?

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Mooncat wrote:Hi all, may I know is there any way to copy the settings of a line to another line, or create a new line based on an existing one?
Let's say I have a mining line with 4 stations, where the first station is the mine. Now I want to create a new line that goes to another mine. Is there any way to do it easily so that the settings from the previous line can be copied to the new line?
Don't do "Read from UI". Just activate the existing line for the new train, then change the first station to the new mine, and save the line under a new name. That should work. You might need the latest version of SmartTrains, the pre-release, but I think it also works with older versions. I did the wrong thing myself for a long time so I'm not sure.

If you do not "read from UI" then the settings are preserved. And you do not need that if you just want to change the line or save it under a new name. So it should do exactly what you want.
Also, another question about that 4 stations. Currently, the 4 stations are: 1) the ore mine, 2) ore decider, 3) smelting, 4) empty. Trains load ore from 1) and then go to 2) to have their cargoes checked. If they have ore inside, they will be assigned to 3) to unload and back to 1) as a loop. Otherwise, if they have nothing inside when passing through 2), they will be assigned to 4) and wait forever, so when I check the minimap, I know the mine is depleted and should make another mining site. Do you think it is good? Is there anyway to make it better?
I think this is not efficient. Why do you even let an empty train leave the ore mine? You might as well let it wait at the ore mine until it does have a certain amount of ore loaded before you send it to the smelter. If you let an empty train go to the "ore decider" and then let it wait "forever" at station #4 that's quite a bit of monkey business. Let the "empty" train wait at the ore mine instead, at least that means its slowly getting filled with ore and then you can send it off as soon as it does have a certain amount of goods.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

siggboy wrote: Don't do "Read from UI". Just activate the existing line for the new train, then change the first station to the new mine, and save the line under a new name. That should work. You might need the latest version of SmartTrains, the pre-release, but I think it also works with older versions. I did the wrong thing myself for a long time so I'm not sure.

If you do not "read from UI" then the settings are preserved. And you do not need that if you just want to change the line or save it under a new name. So it should do exactly what you want.
Oh, thanks! I didn't know I can get the new station without "read from UI". I will try that when I get home.
Edit: It works! Thanks~

siggboy wrote: I think this is not efficient. Why do you even let an empty train leave the ore mine? You might as well let it wait at the ore mine until it does have a certain amount of ore loaded before you send it to the smelter. If you let an empty train go to the "ore decider" and then let it wait "forever" at station #4 that's quite a bit of monkey business. Let the "empty" train wait at the ore mine instead, at least that means its slowly getting filled with ore and then you can send it off as soon as it does have a certain amount of goods.
I let the empty trains to wait at #4 so I can centralised control them. #4 is very near to #3, I can know quickly if something goes wrong. Some of the mines are very far away, so it is quite hard to know when it is depleted. Well, you know, RSO. xD

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi. It's me again. I think I just found a bug. I made a blueprint that has a smart train station. When I placed the blueprint, the Smart train stop cargo (combinator) and Smart train stop (lamp) were built immediately. But I quickly realized I misplaced the station, so I deconstructed the ghosts before the robots came. Now the combinator and lamp are staying there but I can't mine or destroy them. Luckily the last autosave was just a few seconds ago so I can revert it.
I also did some little tests:
- I removed the Smart train stop after it was built, whether by mining it, deconstruction planner or destroying it, the combinator and lamp disappeared as expected.
- I placed a ghost of Smart train stop without blueprint, the combinator and lamp did not appear before the stop was actually built.
So the issue only occurs when the stop is placed by blueprint and then removed before it is built.

siggboy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by siggboy »

Mooncat wrote:Now the combinator and lamp are staying there but I can't mine or destroy them. Luckily the last autosave was just a few seconds ago so I can revert it.
There's a workaround for this problem: you can place a smart station on top of the combinator/lamp that are already there and then remove the station (by mining it). That will also remove the combinator/lamp (even though those were from another station, technically).

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Mooncat wrote:So the issue only occurs when the stop is placed by blueprint and then removed before it is built.
What version are you using? The latest (pre)release https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains ... ag/v0.3.94 shouldn't have that issue anymore.
I think by now i really should make this an official release, as far as i know there are no severe issues with it.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Choumiko wrote:So the issue only occurs when the stop is placed by blueprint and then removed before it is built.
What version are you using? The latest (pre)release https://github.com/Choumiko/SmartTrains ... ag/v0.3.94 shouldn't have that issue anymore.
I think by now i really should make this an official release, as far as i know there are no severe issues with it.
I am using 0.3.82. Will try 0.3.94.

Edit: Sorry I'm late. Yes, 0.3.94 solved the problem. Just a little issue that the robotic system complains about not having the materials to build the combinator and lamp until the station is built. But I guess it is a limitation of the current modding API? It is still better than before. Thanks a lot. :lol:
Last edited by Mooncat on Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Benie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Benie »

Hey. Created this account just to post in here. Have a problem. Well, I think I created my own. All of my trains are 'L-CC'(except for my FARL train, but that's a manual train), and I just want to do the Auto Refuel part of the mod (as the other parts I don't really need ATM).
I'm using Solid Fuel blocks instead of coal, and I'm wondering if this is why they aren't stopping where I have specified for them to refuel. Or, I'm just not using this mod correctly. They aren't creating the fuel station when needed.

Here's 'some' pictures showing the setup;
The terminal I have set up for all the trains.

This is to show that they have all been correctly named, and that I am using the Smart Station thingy that's part of the mod (thinking this is to make it work).

Showing what I named them. "Train Refuel", and the settings I have. The Mj of fuel is basically "when down to one stack left of Solid fuel (1250 Mj), refuel to three stacks (4000 Mj)"

All the trains I have running. Note they're all set to refuel and then depart after done (to go back to their normal rounds around the factory). Yet they all use the same 'L-CC' name due to their type, and I feel this is what's screwing it up.

Page 2 of the list.

Please, what's wrong? The oil train there, I tried taking most of its fuel, but it's not creating the fuel station (fyi I have activated it after doing so, just to see if it will create the station). I have the latest version on Steam.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Benie wrote: This is to show that they have all been correctly named, and that I am using the Smart Station thingy that's part of the mod (thinking this is to make it work).

All the trains I have running. Note they're all set to refuel and then depart after done (to go back to their normal rounds around the factory). Yet they all use the same 'L-CC' name due to their type, and I feel this is what's screwing it up.

Please, what's wrong? The oil train there, I tried taking most of its fuel, but it's not creating the fuel station (fyi I have activated it after doing so, just to see if it will create the station). I have the latest version on Steam.
Quite the post :D

Things that are not the cause but not needed/working:
- Smart trainstop isn't needed for refueling to work
- Depart for trainlines isn't doing anything (i think), at least not what it's suppossed to do. At a refueling station the train leaves by itself when he is refueled.

Here's a quick rundown how it (should) work: (i'm assuming SmartTrains 0.3.82):
- When a train leaves a station it check's its fuel. If it's too low, the refueling station gets added at the end of the schedule.
- The train goes on its way (the next station in the schedule, it doesn't go to the refuel station immediately)
- Once at the refuel station he regularly checks its fuel, if it's high enough he leaves the station.
- Upon arriving at the next station he removes the refuel station from the schedule.

So for a reliable test if it works:
use /c remote.call("st", "toggleFlyingText") in the console. This shows text over the trains that might help.
- Make sure the refuel station isn't in the schedule.
- Take out the fuel
- Send it to a station, close the UI (schedule updates are not displayed when it's open)
- Wait for the train to leave the station and then check it's schedule.

Things you can try:
- Mine all refueling stations, place them again and rename them, do not use STRG left/right mouse for renaming, this screws things up.
- use /c remote.call("st", "findStations") This will rescan your map for trainstops

If this doesn't work, i'll probably need a save file or you could try the prerelease linkes a couple posts above.

Benie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Benie »

Thanks for responding. But I have a question. What do you mean by "Mine all refueling stations"? Please clarify. Thanks.
Also, I got an error when using the command. "Benie (trying to call command, but it is not allowed): remote.call("st", "findStations")"

EDIT: I've replaced the modded stations with regular ones, and I just had one of my oil trains stop for fuel. However, it didn't stop in the spot dedicated to it. It went to the closest stop it could instead of going where I want it to. How can I force this?

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

Benie wrote:What do you mean by "Mine all refueling stations"?

EDIT: I've replaced the modded stations with regular ones, and I just had one of my oil trains stop for fuel. However, it didn't stop in the spot dedicated to it. It went to the closest stop it could instead of going where I want it to. How can I force this?
I meant pick up all refueling stations.
You can't really. The refueling station gets added at the end of the schedule. So when the train leaves the station before the refueling station it chooses the closest one, just as with every station.

Return to “Mods”