laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.12.0 WIP] Tug

Post by laige »

Tug
  • Type: WIP MOD
  • Factorio-Version: 0.12.0
  • Description: A complete water based mod.
  • License: MIT
  • Started: 11-07-2015
  • Latest Download-Url: 0.0.2
W.I.P. Do Not use on any valued saves. This is a early version and will likely have lots of changes. Still a good deal of work to be done.
LONG DESCRIPTION
CREDITS
PICTURES
Last edited by laige on Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.0 WIP] Tug

Post by ThaPear »

Sweet! This is the first mod I've seen that does anything interesting with the water.
It does indeed need graphics though, maybe you could prod YuokiTani for some. ;)

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

^^ThaPear^^

Thanks for your interest. Yes the graphics are well beyond my ability. I don't want to ask just yet, as the mod is still very new and needs tons of work. These textures are extra hard since they are vehicles.

I'm extra glad you like it since, I enjoy your harvester mod.

Right now I'm stuck on trying to make the "Docks" I think they are the best next Step to focus on. There are few places generated where loading and unloading the barges from land is even possible. Docks will fix that. I'll get it eventually. They are going to be a place-able tile like how the new concrete is; but over water of course.

When I figure that out, I can look at releasing alpha versions.

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

Really cool idea! Could I try drawing some concepts for your mod?
I am new to making graphics for factorio, but quite skilled with 3d modelling.
I love the idea of making water useful again. Keep up the good work!

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

DJderond wrote:Really cool idea! Could I try drawing some concepts for your mod?
I am new to making graphics for factorio, but quite skilled with 3d modelling.
I love the idea of making water useful again. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, that would be great. I feel the train to look like a tug bout, and the cargo wagon to look like a barge; are the biggest eye sores of the mod right now. But other things will eventually need textures too. Thank you for trying your hand at this.

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

Here is my initial sketch, any thoughts?
(Here is a link to the bigger, HD version: http://i.imgur.com/r5WtG7e.jpg)
I don't really have time to start modelling today, but tomorrow I will give it a try :)

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

wow that picture is great.

I love it. Sorry for being late getting back to you. I didn't do much work on it during the week-end after trying it out on 0.12.2

Your picture captures what a factorio tug boat should look like. The barge looks nice and sea route being visualized with little buoys is good.

Update on where I'm at now: Something in 0.12.2 has changed the way floors work. Examples are stone path and concrete are floors. I was previously using a floor setup to make the docks/bridge tile for placing over water. I had the basics of the dock finished, but now with the change its no longer working. Its a set back, but we will get there eventually. It just means I have to find a more complicated way to place the tile; then it should have to be.

DJderond
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DJderond »

I made a model of the tugboat, it isn't exactly like the sketch, but I think this version looks better:

Here it is ingame:
ingame
I still don't really know how implement it fully in the game so I have to look into that.
When I get that done I'll start working on the barge (and maybe upgrade the textures on the tugboat)

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

Wow. Your so talented that tug looks great. I'm feeling real positive about what you have been doing.

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by laige »

Update: Had a break through with the Dock. I had been neglecting to work on the mod in my spare time as 0.12.2 change stressed me out a bit, but I had today off and went back to work on it. The changes in 0.12.2 weren't that bad. It just broke what I previously had for the dock. Got me down :?

I don't want to say there will be be any pre-releases today, but I have the rest of the day to work on the mod. If I can tie everything together its possible. Otherwise if Life interrupts me, Saturday next seems like a definite pre-release. :D

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Looks like a great mod. Be fun to do really big lakes options. I'm going to try it out once the boats are in the game. What would be cool to have the rail (sand) be just a slight change to the water texture if possible or even something more simple like a thing line. Anything but sand once the tug boat is added hehe.

Factorio2016
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factorio2016 »

:?: development stopped? :cry:
English is not my native language. Translator.

lilstrip
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lilstrip »

Whats going on with this mod? development stopped? If thats the case it should be moved to obsolete mods.

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

Why would you label it obsolete? Obsolete is things that dont function. Not things that arent changing.

Return to “Mods”