[MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Post by d3phoenix »

TRauMa wrote:I took the liberty to make a trainless version for those using WaiTex and/or concerned about file size/gfx memory. Licence remains MIT.
Thanks! I added a link to the main post to direct people to your comment, so you can update your download link if necessary.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Quick question: What did you use to recolor these?

TRauMa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TRauMa »

Not the original author, but there's a script inside that uses ImageMagick to tint the concrete tiles automatically. The trains were done by hand IIRC, with some image editor, the post is buried somewhere here in this thread.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Alright, that's what I was looking for. The only reason I wask is because I'm making a mod that's basically just an expansion for everything :P

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Alvin853 wrote:Iron reserves at 3% and falling, copper reserves at 5% and increasing, I love this mod :mrgreen:
Do you still have the save for this? Or a thread showing how this all works in detail? I wanted to know, because it could have some very interesting uses in future :geek:

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Tools used included Geany (a text editor), ImageMagick, GIMP, Pinta, and bash.

I didn't create all the assets, however. Hitzu submitted several sets of graphics that turned out much better than anything I knew how to make.

IIRC they used PhotoShop to do it. If you review the whole thread you can find more details.

DoctorWho?
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DoctorWho? »

Cool. I'll get those, and see what I can do for my mode :P

Dr. Walrus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Dr. Walrus »

Nice mod! Here's a couple pixel arts I've made with the colored concrete. I'm not an artist, I'm just ahead of the curve.

The Joker (not my original artwork)
Blueprint
Hatsune Miku (also not my original art)
Blueprint
My Snail Avatar (I made this one!)
Blueprint

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

These are awesome! Thanks for sharing =D

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Just updated again, but not the base mod itself.

I've added a remover utility, in case you ever want to remove the mod from your saves, now you can. The remover will convert all colored entities back to their stock form.

See the first post for detailed instructions on how to use it.

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MiniMe943 »

d3phoenix wrote:I've added a remover utility, in case you ever want to remove the mod from your saves, now you can.
Implying that people would want to remove this fantastic mod.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

there is an error when removing your mod when using autofill:

autofill lists all items in global.defaultsets and is missing a locomotive-red when your mod is removed.
I guess it would miss much more, but red is the first one named in your configs.

disabling trains, remover-migration script didnt work. Somehow a savegame seems to save the defaultset for a while

seronis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by seronis »

That sounds like a bug with autofill not performing nil checks before accessing data.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

strange Thing: i never used those locos in my game.

even disabling Trains in the config will lead to this error...

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

global.defaultsets is something created and used by Autofill, and has nothing to do with color coding.

I briefly looked at the code, and it seems like Autofill is not checking whether or not entity types still exist when it initializes. It is checking to see if color coding is loaded... then assumes color coding will always create the same item types.

This is not something I can fix from the CC side. A possible workaround would be to disable Autofill, load and save, then use the color coding remover, load and save, delete color coding, re-enable Autofill, then load and save. I don't know for sure if it will work for sure but it's worth a shot.

Make sure to back up your saves before doing it, obviously.

Speadge
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Speadge »

the "remover" just migrates all existing entities within the game - it didnt help.
although im able to help myself, im primarily writing this cause you are Advertising the "trainless" Version in your OP, which is causing the same Problems used with autofill.
maybe I'll check for this "color-coding-check" within AF and just remove it... maybe writing some lines to ist author.

thanks for your time

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

So I love this mod and I would like to add my contribution to it :
I've upgraded your script to make it possible to generate hazard and fire ground.
color-coding_source.zip
(333.51 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
I've keep only things to generate in place since this is not a release but something for the mod creator.
I also really would like to have all OSHA color combinations :

Finally I'm working on another update of the previous script to have a mask between colored version and original version.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

y.petremann wrote:So I love this mod and I would like to add my contribution to it :
I've upgraded your script to make it possible to generate hazard and fire ground.
Ok, WOW. I just tested your script. That's cool. Unfortunately I don't have time to do much with factorio modding at the moment due to my work schedule, but this will definitely be going in next time I have a chance to update.

I'm thinking that after 0.13 releases I will probably move this whole mod over to GitHub and do some major housekeeping with the source to smooth out the process of accepting submissions like this. That's still a few months off though, and I don't anticipate having any time to maintain CC until then.

I'm planning on integrating the remover option as a script call on the console rather than a separate download, and will probably break things up into multiple "modules" so that people can select exactly which things they want color coded rather than having a single giant download. Also who knows, we may get some in-game tint masking capability that could make the entire mod quite a bit more efficient. We'll see.

Thanks for the submission, I'll get it added next time work calms down enough for me to get back to gaming :D

(You are welcome to post a link to your 'unofficial' version with your changes if you like; I'll add a link to your post up top like I did for the trainless version.)

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Bug: When you mine a colored indicator lamp, you do not receive it back. Instead you receive a white "Lamp" ("base->color-coding").
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Supercheese
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Supercheese »

JasonC wrote:Bug: When you mine a colored indicator lamp, you do not receive it back. Instead you receive a white "Lamp" ("base->color-coding").
I believe that's intentional, because all you need to craft a colored lamp is a regular lamp, so you can just craft it right back -- and if you craft the wrong color by mistake, you can just plop it down and pick it back up again to fix your error.

Return to “Mods”