[MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Post by hitzu »

Now it would be amazing to be able to split and differentiate logistic networks basing on the color of the floor. :geek:

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

That would be awesome, unfortunately i don't think it's possible with the current modding API. Most of the logistics stuff is hard coded into the base game.

Of course, you could make colored concrete floors bigger than 50x50, and just always leave green space around the edges to achieve a similar effect manually.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Could you add some danger/warning painted concrete?
Yellow/Black and White/Red, something like that:

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

This is definitely doable, but is going to require photo editing work with an attention to detail that is a little beyond my capabilities.

If someone with better photoshop skills than me can grab concrete1.png, concrete2.png, and concrete4.png out of the yellow and black folders in the mod, and stitch them together into a nice, tile-able caution stripe textures that look decent in-game, I'll happily add them to the mod.

Bonus points if you can do the same for red/white, and make both orientations for both color sets.

Whoever creates the resources will obviously get credit both in the original post and within the ZIP file itself.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

Here you go :) Yellow-black and red-white striped concrete (right and left). They don't 100% match solid colored slabs because I don't know how the color was corrected. On the other hand they are more contrast and noticable as the caution signs should be. ;)
Also I made two natural looking shades for stone: red and yellow. You may include them also if you want.

Attachments
Colored_Stone.zip
(695.4 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Striped_Concrete.zip
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 317 times

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I created files in gimp (.xcf) with concrete colors and layers with strips. If someone will need mix any color, just add mask in top layer and paste strips layer on that mask.
Attachments
warning concrete.zip
Sprites
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 308 times
concrete.zip
Gimp files
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 282 times

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

Green locomotive 03.png bottom 2 rows are... not green.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

OBAMA MCLAMA wrote:Green locomotive 03.png bottom 2 rows are... not green.
Dangit. This is a bug with Pinta. sometimes CTRL+A doesn't select the whole image properly and you have to press it again. I thought I had caught all these.

It will be fixed in 1.0.3.
Neotix wrote:I created files in gimp (.xcf) with concrete colors and layers with strips. If someone will need mix any color, just add mask in top layer and paste strips layer on that mask.
hitzu wrote:Here you go Yellow-black and red-white striped concrete (right and left). They don't 100% match solid colored slabs because I don't know how the color was corrected. On the other hand they are more contrast and noticable as the caution signs should be.
Also I made two natural looking shades for stone: red and yellow. You may include them also if you want.
Thank you! Both of you did amazing jobs. I'm going to playtest both options later this evening, and add in whichever one I think works best.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

I like Hitzu's bright-color interpretation. It does stand out quite a bit better in game than what I originally had in mind. It definitely makes sense for hazard markings to be a bit more saturated. However there is one minor issue:

See how the textures don't "mesh" well on the horizontal line? I think that if you can shift the stripes so that the corners are centered on a black stripe rather than on the line between stripes, it would work better, by lining up in all 4 directions (forming a solid yellow or black 'X' passing through the center).

If it's not too much work, I think that change would be a nice bit of polish for the mod.

In the mean time, here's a beta version so you can more easily test in-game. Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmxga9lche8os ... _1.0.3.zip

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

d3phoenix wrote:If it's not too much work, I think that change would be a nice bit of polish for the mod.
You're right, my bad. Being self-confident, I didn't save PSD file, so now I have to redo all the work again. This would probably lead to other tints of colors, so you can make suggestions on that. :)
What colors you prefer to be in the center of an X-sign?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

You don't have to redo all work. You can take my .xcf file and adjust colors.

EDIT: I made adjustments:

Attachments
concrete.zip
Sprites
(844.22 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
concrete GIMP.zip
.xcf files for GIMP
(2.24 MiB) Downloaded 261 times

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

My corrected version :)
Attachments
Striped_Concrete.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 276 times

Alvin853
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alvin853 »

Well TIL these lights are not good for displaying circuit network information:

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Hmm. Looks like the blending's too additive even with 0.1 transparency. TIL.

I'll make some adjustments and try to improve this while still providing enough color to be distinct.

I'll also add grids of lamps to my test world.

EDIT: It's fixed in 1.0.4, as well as a handful of other small lamp-related annoyances.
Last edited by d3phoenix on Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhamphoryncus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Rhamphoryncus »

Here's your reminder to add stone brick paths. :D

Alvin853
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alvin853 »

Iron reserves at 3% and falling, copper reserves at 5% and increasing, I love this mod :mrgreen:

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

I'm using 1.0.2 (yes, I'm a lazy updater), and I was able to build colored trains without researching the Colored Trains technology. Not really a big deal, but kinda wonky.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Vin wrote:I'm using 1.0.2 (yes, I'm a lazy updater), and I was able to build colored trains without researching the Colored Trains technology. Not really a big deal, but kinda wonky.
Aw crap. I've left a debug option on this entire time. *facepalm* I wrote a migration script that should fix it when you update to 1.0.5.
Alvin853 wrote:Iron reserves at 3% and falling, copper reserves at 5% and increasing, I love this mod :mrgreen:
That's amazing! I haven't had a chance to dive into combinators yet. The level readout seems pretty straightforward... but how do you determine if the levels are increasing or falling?

Alvin853
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Alvin853 »

d3phoenix wrote:That's amazing! I haven't had a chance to dive into combinators yet. The level readout seems pretty straightforward... but how do you determine if the levels are increasing or falling?
Well first of all I set up a pulse that is triggered every minute. Then I use some arithmetic combinators to store the current fill level every time the minute pulse is coming, and I'm propagating that fill level forward 5 times, so I have a total of 5 minutes history on the fill level. Finally compare the current level to the level from 5 minutes ago, to see if level is going up or down.

vlczero
Inserter
Inserter

Post by vlczero »

Thank you for this mod ;)

Is there a way to contribute ( github or bitbucket ? I made some local changes and added a config option to disable trains if they are not needed or to save some video RAM.

Return to “Mods”