[MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12] Color Coding - Trains, Lights, and Concrete!

Post by y.petremann »

Supercheese wrote:
JasonC wrote:Bug: When you mine a colored indicator lamp, you do not receive it back. Instead you receive a white "Lamp" ("base->color-coding").
I believe that's intentional, because all you need to craft a colored lamp is a regular lamp, so you can just craft it right back -- and if you craft the wrong color by mistake, you can just plop it down and pick it back up again to fix your error.
It's intentionnal, it can be disabled in config file and it permit to return back the component that permit to make them all.

Imagine you made 1000 blue lamps and finally you decide black lamps are better ... here you need to place them all but permit tu return them back

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

y.petremann wrote:
Supercheese wrote:
JasonC wrote:Bug: When you mine a colored indicator lamp, you do not receive it back. Instead you receive a white "Lamp" ("base->color-coding").
I believe that's intentional, because all you need to craft a colored lamp is a regular lamp, so you can just craft it right back -- and if you craft the wrong color by mistake, you can just plop it down and pick it back up again to fix your error.
It's intentionnal, it can be disabled in config file and it permit to return back the component that permit to make them all.

Imagine you made 1000 blue lamps and finally you decide black lamps are better ... here you need to place them all but permit tu return them back
Yeah, I've actually grown to really like that it does that. After using the mod for a while, it makes a ton of sense that it works that way.

Btw, @d3phoenix, this mod is freakin' awesome. The colored lamps, the caution striped concrete... *swoon*.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

Confirmed -- this behavior is intentional. This way I don't have to worry about cluttering up the crafting menus with 'uncrafting' recipes. Also, it works with construction bots too. Anytime any colored item gets picked up it reverts to the base game equivalent. The crafting times are also super short, with the idea being that you only store the base game items, and you walk around and just color them in your inventory as you need to use them. It saves a lot of inventory slots and crafting menu entries doing it this way.

If you ever accidentally craft way too many lamps or concrete of a particular color, try using construction bots and blueprints to fix it. You can place hundreds of colored lamps at once, then have the bots deconstruct them. They will end up back in your storage chests (or inventory for personal robots) as the stock items.

@JasonC I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Where can I change lamps glow/light radius? I find out that when I use color lamp as digit display, that display have too low contrast. The glow cause that disabled lamps also become brighter when few lamps near them are lighted up.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Neotix wrote:Where can I change lamps glow/light radius? I find out that when I use color lamp as digit display, that display have too low contrast. The glow cause that disabled lamps also become brighter when few lamps near them are lighted up.
In the mod's prototypes/config.lua, you can change LAMP_FLOOD_DIAMETER to be something smaller. It's 5 by default (and the game's usual lamps are 40).

Incidentally...
d3phoenix wrote:Confirmed -- this behavior is intentional.
Ha, there's even an UNCRAFT_ITEMS_ON_PICKUP in config.lua; I guess I could have looked first. :oops:
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Thanks.

zytukin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by zytukin »

Thank you for this great mod :)

But, is it possible to add a way recoler stuff that has already been colored? Or just to remove the color and return the item to the default color?

Smoovious
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Smoovious »

Could always set it up so that if one of the mods that has a scrapper/recycler is present, then the mod will disable pick-up-as-white behavior.

Personally, I think pick-up-as-white should be disabled by default, but that's just me.

-- Smoov

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

From what I've seen in the Factorio GFX Wiki, they would implement the concrete part of the mod in future versions.

credomane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by credomane »

How hard would it be to add in color coded pipes? It is perfectly fine if all the colors interconnect. Really want to colorize all my pipes.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

credomane wrote:How hard would it be to add in color coded pipes? It is perfectly fine if all the colors interconnect. Really want to colorize all my pipes.
THeorycally ... really easy, like other stuff,

Shrooblord
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shrooblord »

This is freaking awesome. Thank you so much for this mod.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

If the author decides to implement colored pipes, maybe he can orientate at better fluid colors?
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=23284

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

bNarFProfCrazy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by bNarFProfCrazy »

There is also the flow control mod with its special shaped pipes. Don't forget them or suggest the feature there as well.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=20645

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MiniMe943 »

steinio wrote:If the author decides to implement colored pipes, maybe he can orientate at better fluid colors?
I think if colored pipes are implemented in this mod, they're going to follow the same color scheme as everything already present in the mod.

TRauMa
Inserter
Inserter

Post by TRauMa »

Only problem is that connections between pipes of different colors would look really bad - as you can see when you try it with bob's mods. The game adds connectors/end segments and the graphics overlap to match the perspective of the pipe images. That's all fine as long as every pipe looks the same, but with different colors it really looks wonky.

MiniMe943
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MiniMe943 »

When 0.13 drops on Monday, what's going to happen with this mod? How long before this mod is compatible with the new trains?

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Colored lamps are not needed anymore because it's implemented in 0.13.

The yellow black striped concrete also ;)

Maybe the 0.13 branch gets the hole mod in vanilla.

Until then it could be called 'Color Coding - Concrete'

Greetings steinio

View unread Posts

d3phoenix
Inserter
Inserter

Post by d3phoenix »

I have updated the OP. Unfortunately due to personal health concerns I will not be able to update this to 0.13 any time soon. Please see the main post for details :(

If you want to move your existing CC maps to 0.13 immediately, you can use the remover in version 0.12 to reset all objects back to their non colored versions.

Loading the mod in 0.13 without CC installed will result in the loss of all colored objects.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Oh really bad.

Get well soon. Best wishes.

View unread Posts

Return to “Mods”