[MOD 0.12.x] SimpleTeleporters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.12.X] SimpleTeleporters

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

iUltimateLP wrote: - more alien artifacts (maybe 350 per teleporter?)
- charging of the teleporter takes up 30 seconds
- 10 seconds cooldown
- the charging speed / input flow is already capped to 300kW - i dunno how much this is in seconds
- So you mean the longer the distance between the teleporters is, the more energy one teleport will cost? I dont know..
-I wouldn't be too afraid to go higher, but yes, I guess all mods are done in default for vanilla Factorio, ~350 seems achievable.
But, to be honest, once you get two(pads) and a lot of energy, you can safely move between bases and be cool.. for a long while,even.
I don't think anyone would needs tenths of these pads to move around, so the more expensive the better. If there's still that "drive", to be able to afford more, you have to make some kind of effort, that automatically brings some kind of joy when you achieve something, so I would like to ask you to be mean on this one :) If anyone hates it, he can change it in some simple config file in the mod? It still wouldn't be a reason to decide to not use the mod, if it seems too expensive :)
edit: idea - the research might be more brutal on artifacts, instead of just the pad itself

-if you got enough energy, than charging the pad from zero to be able to make one base end to base end (~3 fullzoomout screens?) could take like 30 seconds. Or.. let me say, how about 10s per 1GJ used ? :D (edit: whoa, suddenly I am talking about CD /facepalm)
Makes sense, sounds sexy and is hard for you to do(code) :( Sorry :D But I would love it<3
Ofc we are talking about both sending and receiving pads, so you can't go right back (teleporting into the middle of the bitters would be a mistake then..) and if able to get back to sending pad, you can' use it again immediatelly (provided you got some neat modular armor with huge speed boost : )

if.. in this point you are wondering why to teleport at all(with that kind of speed), some maps might have a huge lakes or whatever, you got insane speed armor, but to be able to cross the "river", you would have to run 100 screens around, to get on the other side, so.. for that, for instance :) Just saying..

Charging speed.. it all starts with a distance calculation, if you are willing to take a look on that, 300kW is basically nothing.. I wouldn't want that at home, sure :D but this is Factorio :) So, let's try some more numbers here.

-At least 5 research tiers, every tiers could costs like 1k artifacts more.
Pads itself could be like those ~300, why not. So, 5 tiers ? Maybe 10 would be better, it would take a lot of effort to get it all, which is fine and possibly everyone who loves Factorio is looking for, just look on how advanced people likes it :) Hardcorio, Marathon and so on..nevermind :D

-Every tier would add 1GJ capacity to the pad, effectively it's able to take you 3 more screens further. Yes, you would have to chain it to get somewhere far away. It's basically a prototype, very "magical" stuff, right ? lol
every 1GJ spend would create a 10s cooldown on both pads used
And the charge up speed could remain constant, from zero to full capacity it could be like those 30 seconds, possibly more ( poll would be ideal, to gather more ideas on this.. try https://strawpoll.me/ ) ie. on first tier it could be 1GJ/30seconds = 33MW/s (that's like 100 times more than now :D ) (let's pretend here, that you could store up 1J with 1W/s :) )

Please someone else come here help us with these numbers :D
Last edited by WoodyDaOcas on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

thanks Peter.
I am sorry, in my brainstorming here, I am using numbers which I am used to from DyTech, I played vanilla only on begging, years ago.

Sure, priority here should be the vanilla version, but in DyTech, with huge costs comes huge space savings, which is the main slowdown for me, tbh :)
To be able to build huge array of steam engines in vanilla, well..I don't want to have 20 screens of engines stacked up :D
So I am thinking 2 versions of the mod, with different settings...
1st for vanilla, 2nd one for .. let's say, more power hungry overhauls like DyTech and other's.. there are ways to make a lot of energy, with some more investment into the technology and with enough resources, actually the number of mods like these is quite high.

edit: yes and the >drain< should be the must. If it's charged up and ready to be used, it should take like 10% of the max charging capacity, to .. well, I don't know, let's just say some BS like:(warning, nonsense ahead, better sit down:P) to stabilize the matrix ? wormhole ? portal ?
I don't know :D but it totally should not be just charge it up to max, and it's ready to be used anytime.. This way it would not work if power is down, which makes sense, too and you wouldn't want to feed pads that are not used, to have them just for case.. or.. you could, if you're willing to "pay" for that :)

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Well ok, Im leaving the quotes now, too much space.

@Peter
First of, I made the graphics already, so only if you would say they are ugly, I would make new ones. I will take a look on how to calculate the distance between two objects for energy consumption. So we say 15MJ/60MJ at first, I will try this out in singleplayer and maybe put it up here so you can test that too if you want. And about that power drain, I will look.

@WoodyDaOcas
I like this tier idea. So having a Teleporter Tier 1 can max. reach X meters, Tier 2 can reach X meters, Tier 3 can reach X meters and so on..
Hmm I think the teleporters should stay bidirectional, so theres no really input and output teleporter. Allthough i dont know if its possible with a cooldown. A cooldown basicially needs a sleep function in lua, but its not available here in Factorio I think.

WoodyDaOcas
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by WoodyDaOcas »

sorry, I tend to write in a confusing way :) I am on with the bi-directional way, too, of course.

I would just like a(ny) cooldown on the pad, to not be able to just jump back immediately after I arrive on the second pad (now I realize I wrote sending/receiving.. sorry.. I did that just for the sake of demonstration, that I would like to have CD on both pads >used<, no that one should be sender and the second receiver, not at all)
and if you can't create a cooldown style behaviour.. that just reminded me about the thing I forgot about when spamming in previous page:

in relevance to drain, maybe some way to be able to deactivate (doubleclick on the pad ? I am not sure what events can you track in here, on buildings..that is, if any, at all : ) to have a way prepared and if preparing to go to some other pad, you are not using that often, you would active it, let it charge up (gather some stuff in the base in the meantime, whatever..) and jump through.
The same could be used for when arriving on a pad (after using a teleport to put it simple).
Any of these possible ?

edit:
buildings get powered down without power (obv.) and that is the kind of behaviour I am talking about.. it's got same content, not really doing anything, just staying offline. Could it be made that it "can't" receive any power, until activated after some time passed, or manually for that matter ?

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

WoodyDaOcas wrote:sorry, I tend to write in a confusing way :) I am on with the bi-directional way, too, of course.

I would just like a(ny) cooldown on the pad, to not be able to just jump back immediately after I arrive on the second pad (now I realize I wrote sending/receiving.. sorry.. I did that just for the sake of demonstration, that I would like to have CD on both pads >used<, no that one should be sender and the second receiver, not at all)
and if you can't create a cooldown style behaviour.. that just reminded me about the thing I forgot about when spamming in previous page:

in relevance to drain, maybe some way to be able to deactivate (doubleclick on the pad ? I am not sure what events can you track in here, on buildings..that is, if any, at all : ) to have a way prepared and if preparing to go to some other pad, you are not using that often, you would active it, let it charge up (gather some stuff in the base in the meantime, whatever..) and jump through.
The same could be used for when arriving on a pad (after using a teleport to put it simple).
Any of these possible ?

edit:
buildings get powered down without power (obv.) and that is the kind of behaviour I am talking about.. it's got same content, not really doing anything, just staying offline. Could it be made that it "can't" receive any power, until activated after some time passed, or manually for that matter ?
So If you just mean activating and deactivating the teleporter, then it would be basicially possible, I think. I try to make that with the cooldown, but I think it wont work.

edit for your edit: Yep, but only with a tool in your hand or any other item.
edit2: hmm maybe it doesnt work. Im testing it right now, but the teleporter takes the energy even if its deactivated. So capping the input flow will not work either in runtime.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I'm mostly thinking about Teleporting short-range, like 2-4 chunks, moving around inside of my main base as a way faster than walking. From that perspective, 300-350 Alien Artifacts to build each Teleporter Device that you can move to/from, would be so expensive as to be not worth the trouble.

The ideal kind of Teleporter is one that works both short-distnace, medium-distnace and long-distance, perhaps with greater ranges requiring more tiers of research?

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Peter34 wrote:I'm mostly thinking about Teleporting short-range, like 2-4 chunks, moving around inside of my main base as a way faster than walking. From that perspective, 300-350 Alien Artifacts to build each Teleporter Device that you can move to/from, would be so expensive as to be not worth the trouble.

The ideal kind of Teleporter is one that works both short-distnace, medium-distnace and long-distance, perhaps with greater ranges requiring more tiers of research?
Yep, so my idea to that is:

Tier 1: Research, then you have Tier 1 Teleporter, works for short-distance (idk maybe around 30 meters)
Tier 2: Research, then you have Tier 2 Teleporter, works for mid-distance
Tier 3: Research, works for long distance,
Tier 4: Research, works for ultra-long distance

All of them drain more power and have greater buffer size and need more power to teleport.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

So I am currently writing the function to get the distance of two teleporters, so I think this would be the right formula:

Code: Select all

distance = math.sqrt( (teleporter_b.x - teleporter_a.x)^2 + (teleporter_b.y - teleporter_a.y)^2 )
I think its right..

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

iUltimateLP wrote:
orzelek wrote:I'd recommend looking at accumulator type of entities.

You can give them big buffer to slowly charge and then consume some energy for the teleport when executing the action.

This also opens possibility of teleport upgrades (bigger buffer and/or faster charging) that would allow for higher range or more frequent teleports.
But then the find_entities_filtered does somehow not find the entity if its an accumulator class. When it was a decorative class, the script found it... Strange
TL;DR works now :) But can I change the render layer to decorative back? Cause the player is behind the teleporter when he is stepping on that teleporter, but he should be always in the foreground..
To do this you'll have to use two separate entities. One being the accumulator part with a 100% transparent texture and a decorative part with the actual texture. I do this in my Automated Harvesters mod for the refineries.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

ThaPear wrote:
iUltimateLP wrote:
orzelek wrote:I'd recommend looking at accumulator type of entities.

You can give them big buffer to slowly charge and then consume some energy for the teleport when executing the action.

This also opens possibility of teleport upgrades (bigger buffer and/or faster charging) that would allow for higher range or more frequent teleports.
But then the find_entities_filtered does somehow not find the entity if its an accumulator class. When it was a decorative class, the script found it... Strange
TL;DR works now :) But can I change the render layer to decorative back? Cause the player is behind the teleporter when he is stepping on that teleporter, but he should be always in the foreground..
To do this you'll have to use two separate entities. One being the accumulator part with a 100% transparent texture and a decorative part with the actual texture. I do this in my Automated Harvesters mod for the refineries.
Yep I already had this idea. But then I habe no animations, but I want some.. Will see

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I suggest the firt tier of Teleporter should have a range of 100 tiles, second tier 300 tiles, third tier 1000 tiles, fourth tier 3000 tiles.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Or you can double reach and square energy consumption every tier
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

Koub wrote:Or you can double reach and square energy consumption every tier
Double reach means more than 4 tiers would be necessary.

Also, energy consumption ought to be based on actual distance teleported, not on the maximum distance that the teleportation device can teleport you. Ideally.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Peter34 wrote:
Koub wrote:Or you can double reach and square energy consumption every tier
Double reach means more than 4 tiers would be necessary.

Also, energy consumption ought to be based on actual distance teleported, not on the maximum distance that the teleportation device can teleport you. Ideally.
Sure, power consumption = distance from Teleporter A to teleporter B, but the distance is limitied per Teleporter Tier. I will create a plan about the tiers today.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

So guys, a simple question, please vote here: http://strawpoll.me/5013308

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

I have been waiting for a mod like this a long time after the last one died out. Awesome work m8!!!!

My only question is that does this work with bobsmods? has anyone tried?

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Anathera wrote:I have been waiting for a mod like this a long time after the last one died out. Awesome work m8!!!!

Thanks :) I personally have not tried it out, but I will do :)

Edit: works fine :)

Anathera
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anathera »

iUltimateLP wrote:
Anathera wrote:I have been waiting for a mod like this a long time after the last one died out. Awesome work m8!!!!

Thanks :) I personally have not tried it out, but I will do :)

Edit: works fine :)
downloaded!

Eldwen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eldwen »

type = "recipe",
name = "liquid-alien-artifacts",
category = "chemistry",
energy_required = 1,
enabled = false, <- Default status of mod on download. Technology does not unlock or enable the ability to use this recipe. Only the pad, linker, and core.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Eldwen wrote:type = "recipe",
name = "liquid-alien-artifacts",
category = "chemistry",
energy_required = 1,
enabled = false, <- Default status of mod on download. Technology does not unlock or enable the ability to use this recipe. Only the pad, linker, and core.
Yep, found that out too, Im currently in vacation so I cant fix it now, you can change it on your own if you want. Fix will be out in a week with new features.

Return to “Mods”