[MOD 0.12.x] SimpleTeleporters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] SimpleTeleporters

Post by iUltimateLP »

Kane wrote:
kiba wrote:Very useful mod, but mechanism awkward.

Upgrade delinks.

It's not possible to link teleporters remotely, which means walking back and forth.

I am not sure what's the point of buffer capacity if upgraded teleporters takes longer to cool down. Seems like a downgrade to me.
From the looks of it range and buffer for say power outage?

Is it actually broken from MP? Known bugs about the GUI.
Yeah it's not broken, but if one invokes the GUI, it will show at the other players too, but you can use it.. I currently have not the needed time to concentrate on that bug due to school and things, but I'm looking forward to fix this asap.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Thanks for the info. Will not bother using it for our Let's play for now sadly.. Would been really fun but that would be bad for us mainly for bitters.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

So this mod isn't actually stable to use for MP games?

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

Peter34 wrote:So this mod isn't actually stable to use for MP games?
It appears to be stable, but not player-specific. I've seen this problem in Minecraft before, when multiplayer was added -- a lot of stuff was not player-specific, so everyone would get an effect the mod added, instead of only the player who invoked it. This is one instance (here in Factorio) where a mod has to be updated to do this properly.
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Zeeth_Kyrah wrote:
Peter34 wrote:So this mod isn't actually stable to use for MP games?
It appears to be stable, but not player-specific. I've seen this problem in Minecraft before, when multiplayer was added -- a lot of stuff was not player-specific, so everyone would get an effect the mod added, instead of only the player who invoked it. This is one instance (here in Factorio) where a mod has to be updated to do this properly.
He is right, that GUI stuff is a problem but you can use it with all functions. I've got some time hanging around, so maybe I try things out to make it work!

Lone_Player
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lone_Player »

Hello,

0.12.11+ any updated news ?

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Lone_Player wrote:Hello,

0.12.11+ any updated news ?
I'm working on it, that is now first priority before the GUI stuff.
Edit: Fix is now live.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I like this mod. :)

I played around with it a bit and my short summary is, that I think it is in some points needless complicated. Or needless restricting.

Here is the long version:

Why 10 different tiers of the same type of transport? Wouldn't be 2 or maybe 3 not enough? Because the game value of each tier with 10 is very low for each tier, but with 2 or 3 it is much higher.
My opionion: Short distance up to 350 tiles, long distance up to 3500 tiles.

I can link one platform to two others. From the others I will be transported to the one, but not the other way around. That was quite unawaited. :)
"Right behavior" is in my eyes either, that I can choose, to which one I wanna teleport, or to disallow this double linking.
But then there is the next question: Why can I not just choose ANY teleport at any time? Why this linking?

I read that there was a short discussion about the need for energy. I don't see the need for this long cool down. I like the charging behavior. But if you have enough energy, why not charging as fast as possible? 500 MW? Maybe it could have a lower priority, so that it's only charged, if accus are charged.
The distance shouldn't play a role. See next point why.

I suggest a behavior I read in the book "Ringworld" from Larry Niven:
At the center of the intersection was a large blue rectangle. Four blue discs surrounded the rectangle, one at the mouth of each walk. "You may step on the rectangle if you wish," said Nessus, "but you may not step on inappropriate discs. Follow me." He circled the nearest disc, crossed the intersection, trotted onto the disc on the opposite side, and vanished.
The discs are arranged in a series of platforms, so you can readily "walk" one block at a time.
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=516
With my own words it is described like so: You have a planet, which is one big city. To move safely in this city you enter some kind of rectangle/platform which is placed at each street intersection. When you touch a "stepping disk" you are transportet to the next platform in the direction of this stepping disk. When you step back, you are at the start. When you step forward you will be moved to the next platform. So you can "walk" from platform to platform. Each step is one platform. Five steps and you are 1 or 2 kilometers away.

Now translated for Factorio: as player you need just to place platforms in about the directions (N, S, E, W) and you don't need to link them or do other complicated stuff.

I try to explain it differently: Why do I need to walk to the other side to click on it for linking? In my eyes - following the logic of Factorio - you create simply a "network of teleporters". Like the roboports, but much more distant. You can simply put one more teleport between two others - it's just "one more step" you don't need to change any linking, the links between the teleports form a bit different network, that's all.
So you don't need all the tools any more. This is far in the future, things just work, you don't need to tell a teleoporter, where you want to teleport, it works as you await it.

Next question: Why is this incredible amount of resources needed? I mean which target for the gameplay? I see the teleporter as a helpful tool and not game target. If it costs too much I just won't built it. More or less same question as #1 about the number of needed tiers. There is just no need fot this resource-sink.

Why the alien liquid? I mean the idea is not that bad, but again: From gameplay aspect it's nothing else than another hurdle. It would make only sense if this is combined with something else.

Hope this is taken as inspiration, not critics. :) Cheers.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

trayable
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by trayable »

Does this work in 0.11.22 ?.it keeps saying no''tool' has been found

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

trayable wrote:Does this work in 0.11.22 ?.it keeps saying no''tool' has been found
I'm not sure. I think of this as an alpha 12 mod. It loads fine in alpha 0.12.20, but I haven't actually tried to build any teleporters yet.

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

trayable wrote:Does this work in 0.11.22 ?.it keeps saying no''tool' has been found
It won't work in 0.11, because I started the mod with 0.12 where many changes to the scripting interface were made..

vaderciya
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vaderciya »

Yay! Teleporters! :D

YourConscience
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YourConscience »

I found out that as soon as I build a second pair of teleporters and link them, that each teleport even then introduces desynch errors in multiplayer. apart from that, very nice mod.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Airat9000 »

good way to make a mod to be able to move things .. type teleporter things like on
big teleporter (more items to teleport)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

YourConscience wrote:I found out that as soon as I build a second pair of teleporters and link them, that each teleport even then introduces desynch errors in multiplayer. apart from that, very nice mod.
So this mod doesn't work for MP?

iUltimateLP
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by iUltimateLP »

Peter34 wrote:
YourConscience wrote:I found out that as soon as I build a second pair of teleporters and link them, that each teleport even then introduces desynch errors in multiplayer. apart from that, very nice mod.
From my tests, it does, but the GUI synchronization is not working properly (limitations to the game itselfs), but teleporting / linking / jumping through them should work without desynchs..

أنا الفراغ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by أنا الفراغ »

Ru local

Code: Select all

[item-name]
telelinker = ЛинкерТП
Teleporter = Телепорт
TeleporterCore = Ядро телепорта
Teleporter_Upgrade_02 = Знак улучшения телепорта 2
Teleporter_Upgrade_03 = Знак улучшения телепорта 3
Teleporter_Upgrade_04 = Знак улучшения телепорта 4
Teleporter_Upgrade_05 = Знак улучшения телепорта 5
Teleporter_Upgrade_06 = Знак улучшения телепорта 6
Teleporter_Upgrade_07 = Знак улучшения телепорта 7
Teleporter_Upgrade_08 = Знак улучшения телепорта 8
Teleporter_Upgrade_09 = Знак улучшения телепорта 9
Teleporter_Upgrade_10 = Знак улучшения телепорта 10
distance-tool = Утилита измерения дистанции
gui-tool = Анализатор телепортации

[item-description]
telelinker = Создает квантовую связь между двух ядер пультов телепорта.
Teleporter = Пульт телепорта, меню ядра телепорта, конденсатор и блок охлаждения. 
gui-tool = Анализировать и искать факты о телепортации.

[entity-name]
Teleporter_Tier01 = Прототип телепорта
Teleporter_Tier02 = Телепорт уровня 2
Teleporter_Tier03 = Телепорт уровня 3
Teleporter_Tier04 = Телепорт уровня 4
Teleporter_Tier05 = Телепорт уровня 5
Teleporter_Tier06 = Телепорт уровня 6
Teleporter_Tier07 = Телепорт уровня 7
Teleporter_Tier08 = Телепорт уровня 8
Teleporter_Tier09 = Телепорт уровня 9
Teleporter_Tier10 = Телепорт уровня 10
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_02 = Знак улучшения телепорта 2
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_03 = Знак улучшения телепорта 3
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_04 = Знак улучшения телепорта 4
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_05 = Знак улучшения телепорта 5
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_06 = Знак улучшения телепорта 6
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_07 = Знак улучшения телепорта 7
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_08 = Знак улучшения телепорта 8
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_09 = Знак улучшения телепорта 9
Teleporter_UpgradeEntity_10 = Знак улучшения телепорта 10
telelinker = ЛинкерТП
distance-tool = Утилита измерения дистанции
gui-tool = Анализатор телепортации

[technology-name]
Teleportation = Телепортация
Teleportation2 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 2
Teleportation3 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 3
Teleportation4 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 4
Teleportation5 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 5
Teleportation6 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 6
Teleportation7 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 7
Teleportation8 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 8
Teleportation9 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 9
Teleportation10 = Стабилизации фокуса матрицы телепортации 10

[fluid-name]
liquid-alien-artifacts = Жидкий инопланетный артефакт

[item-group-name]
simple-teleporters = Простые телепорты

frenchiveruti
Inserter
Inserter

Post by frenchiveruti »

Hey there! I've translated your mod to spanish, you can find the pull request on GitHub.
Greets!

YourConscience
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by YourConscience »

iUltimateLP wrote:
Peter34 wrote:
From my tests, it does, but the GUI synchronization is not working properly (limitations to the game itselfs), but teleporting / linking / jumping through them should work without desynchs..
It does work, as long as you only use one pair of teleporters. As soon as you introduce a second or more pairs, the other players will be desynched once you actually try to use a teleporter. It happens immediately. Apparently some positions gets reported incorrectly. It may also have been due to a bug in the particular version I was trying a couple of months ago and maybe it's fixed by now. I haven't retested. I use the gunship mod instead to get around my megabase quickly.

Quazar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Quazar »

Beautiful! iUltimateLP, I've just finished exploring your mod with Test Mode, really tempted to not take a big mouthful of trouble but instead quietly enjoy the fruit of your labor :)

But, I did speak rashly about trying my hand at mod development in the conversation about Ringworld Teleporters and while that thread has become a debate about whether instant travel is bad for the game, I wonder if you'd comment on Ssilk's specification? As near as I can tell the only important difference between what Niven suggested in Ringworld, and your mod, is only the manner of linking the pads: with Simple Teleporters the links are created by with a tool, while in Ringworld they would link based on geography. It's harder than that but this is where it starts.

I'm interested in your thoughts and meanwhile my (second) factory sprawl problems are about to get a lot easier, so thanks!

Return to “Mods”