[0.12.0]Resource Monitor Mod unofficial update 0.5.4(Fix 1)

Topics and discussion about specific mods
L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.0]Resource Monitor Mod unofficial update 0.5.4(Fix 1)

Post by L0771 »

ssilk wrote:How I use it - I'm not an expert - it makes sense to automatically connect resources, which are near together into one patch.

And vice versa: If resources are not so near, it makes sense not to connect them.
Instead you can have a setting: "radius in which other resources are automatically connected". If set to 0 it will never connect.

That way the GUI would get a lot easier, because you don't need to connect the resources together. Complicated renaming etc.: remove all that. :)
it sounds like a viable way, and add 1 var to every resource monitored with a avg position, i can add to the left of "remove" 1 label with { W, NW, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW } and update the position of resources than you... or a button with a brujula like Cursed EXP
I think is better with a label, but a brujula is cutest.

Please tell me why a label or why a brujula :D
brujula

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

L0771 wrote:
ssilk wrote:How I use it - I'm not an expert - it makes sense to automatically connect resources, which are near together into one patch.

And vice versa: If resources are not so near, it makes sense not to connect them.
Instead you can have a setting: "radius in which other resources are automatically connected". If set to 0 it will never connect.

That way the GUI would get a lot easier, because you don't need to connect the resources together. Complicated renaming etc.: remove all that. :)
it sounds like a viable way, and add 1 var to every resource monitored with a avg position, i can add to the left of "remove" 1 label with { W, NW, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW } and update the position of resources than you... or a button with a brujula like Cursed EXP

brujula
OMG, that looks sweet. Please do that ... do whats in the picture.... :)
And maybe you can tie in another feature into that ... Waypoints....hahaha. im So giddy right now, i feel the tingles. :P
Im all for the brujula \o/ :D

Sedado77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Sedado77 »

L0771 wrote:

brujula
"Brujula" LOL, you meant "compass"??
But you speak spanish!!!
So, brujula!

xD (I'm from Argentina, and red "brujula" as an english speaker would pronounce it... and Laughed!

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

Sedado77 wrote:
L0771 wrote:

brujula
"Brujula" LOL, you meant "compass"??
But you speak spanish!!!
So, brujula!

xD (I'm from Argentina, and red "brujula" as an english speaker would pronounce it... and Laughed!
:o !
Now it makes sense. I had totally no idea why its name was Brujula :lol:!
I actually thought it was some sort of thought up alien name of something :roll:!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DukeAl »

Hi,
I tried to use the mod in a mp game with a friend and whenever i tried to add a resource the item was transfered to my friends inventory.
Worked fine on his end though. Was using the latest version in the OP in factoio 0.12.5 with a long list of other mods (can post it if needed).

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jorgenRe »

DukeAl wrote:Hi,
I tried to use the mod in a mp game with a friend and whenever i tried to add a resource the item was transfered to my friends inventory.
Worked fine on his end though. Was using the latest version in the OP in factoio 0.12.5 with a long list of other mods (can post it if needed).
Ah indeed I'm aware of that but I highly doubt you two are competing against each others so for the moment it probably is fine, but it can be a little irritating sometimes so I might come with a tiny fix for that tomorrow or later ;)!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Hi,

Really love this mod so thanks for keeping it going (and well done to the original author). I have a suggestion for something I would find useful:

Can you add a "reset" button along with "remove" that resets the original amount in the deposit to the current amount, hence changing when the 10% warning goes off.

e.g. I set up a deposit of 10k iron and leave it mining. The 10% warning goes off at 1k iron left, I click the reset button to stop the warning and go set up another iron deposit. The warning goes off again at 100 iron (or when its depleted) and I can go clean up the mining outpost.

Make sense?

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

So, uh, I'm sure you're aware of it, but this mod (L0771's patch, but I don't recall jorgenRe's variant being much better) is basically a continuous source of desyncs in multiplayer, even when playing just by myself on my headless server.

I've forked it and will be looking at pretty much the whole thing to try and fix up the code, and will report back when I have something workable.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Narc wrote:So, uh, I'm sure you're aware of it, but this mod (L0771's patch, but I don't recall jorgenRe's variant being much better) is basically a continuous source of desyncs in multiplayer, even when playing just by myself on my headless server.

I've forked it and will be looking at pretty much the whole thing to try and fix up the code, and will report back when I have something workable.
How did the forking go :P

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

Kane wrote:How did the forking go :P
Well, I got distracted by this game, dunno if you've heard of it, it's called Factorio. :)

It's still on my todo list, I swear.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Narc wrote:
Kane wrote:How did the forking go :P
Well, I got distracted by this game, dunno if you've heard of it, it's called Factorio. :)

It's still on my todo list, I swear.
Lies this game is not distracting at all. Even more so if your using RSO and Trains :P

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Post by happymoep »

This mod needs a new thread.
At least the github link should be added to the first post.
But then again, as it is L0771 who owns the github repository he or she should make a new thread.
Is anyone still working on this other than Narc who just didn't get around doing it yet?

@Narc
Looks like you didn't change anything on the mod itself yet.
You seem to have added a makefile and I'm not even sure why. Is it for automated packaging the mod in a zip file?
Also, why did you remove all those lines from the .gitignore?

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

happymoep wrote:@Narc
Looks like you didn't change anything on the mod itself yet.
Correct. I intended (and still do) to read it in detail and see if anything weird jumped out at me, but that's still in the future.
happymoep wrote:You seem to have added a makefile and I'm not even sure why. Is it for automated packaging the mod in a zip file?
Yes, that's what factorio-mod-makefile does. I should push up the part that makes it trivial to rename the mod (by parameterizing the references to the mod in the prototypes).
happymoep wrote:Also, why did you remove all those lines from the .gitignore?
Because the original .gitignore was a generic "you should have a gitignore", and about half of it gets included in the ".*" exclusion. I saw no reason to keep generic ignores for files that aren't likely to get generated (upon review, I could see Thumbs.db as an exception; I might put that back). The .gitattributes was severely altered for the same reason.

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Post by happymoep »

Thanks for the reply :)

I know, people are probably gonna make fun of me for this but, you seem to be writing mods a lot :mrgreen: (I'm new to the mods section of factorio)

It's nice to have a makefile if you're mass producing. Though, what I really don't like about that is that one cannot properly pack a mod without that makefile anymore :/
If the makefile doesn't replace your {{MOD_NAME}}-String other people need to reverse that manually.
As factorio mods don't need building of packs in any way I think it's more of a disadvantage :S
Sorry if this comes unnecessary because unasked.

However, if you find the time it'd be great to have you have a look at the files. Especially as you seem to have some expertise in factorio modding.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

happymoep wrote:Thanks for the reply :)

I know, people are probably gonna make fun of me for this but, you seem to be writing mods a lot
I'm nowhere near as prolific as Klonan, Rseding91, or many others who have written many mods. It is only my current interest, and will eventually fade.
happymoep wrote:It's nice to have a makefile if you're mass producing. Though, what I really don't like about that is that one cannot properly pack a mod without that makefile anymore :/
If the makefile doesn't replace your {{MOD_NAME}}-String other people need to reverse that manually.
As factorio mods don't need building of packs in any way I think it's more of a disadvantage :S
The makefile's main job is to run sed and collect only the relevant mod files. When I'm developing, it's very nice to have a mod packaged in less time than it takes to copy it into place, though I have also done development directly onto an unpacked version of the mod for even faster turnaround.

The disadvantage, as you've pointed out, is that you can't take the source directly out of git and have it run immediately. The simplest solution there is to do no such thing, but instead work from an already-built package and maintain the references yourself.

Ultimately, this is my preference, and when properly used ensures reference integrity across resources, especially prototypes, which can only be a good thing.
happymoep wrote:Sorry if this comes unnecessary because unasked.

However, if you find the time it'd be great to have you have a look at the files. Especially as you seem to have some expertise in factorio modding.
I was looking through the code last night and started sanity filtering it. I can only claim the highest respect for jorgenRe and L0771 for being willing to wrack their brains over it.

As for experience, believe it or not, prior to EvoGUI I hadn't even looked at Factorio modding. That said, I am a software engineer with some years of experience, especially in reading other people's code.

happymoep
Inserter
Inserter

Post by happymoep »

Sorry for drifting off-topic more and more. I will cut it short.

@Narc
Good that you took my criticism the right way and even explained it a little further :)
I really like your motivation from stackoverflow careers and I like the overall way you present yourself on your website.

As for the makefile, I have no idea how you would "work from an already-built package and maintain the references yourself", but that is out of the scope of this thread.
Narc wrote:I can only claim the highest respect for jorgenRe and L0771 for being willing to wrack their brains over it.
That you say this is kind of a relief. My thought of "maybe it's not that complicated, let me have a look myself" quickly turned into a "nope, don't have time for that right now".
As I have not modded factorio before I'm the wrong person to do this anyway.

What I did do however is set up a local headless server with this mod only and jump on myself. I wanted to see at which point the desyncs happen to try and find out if faulty code lies within an onEvent section or even in which one.
Turns out I got no desyncs at all. I registered some ore fields and it worked fine. You said that this was causing desync already, right? I would test with multiple players next but I currently lack the time. I got next to no time until Friday afternoon (GMT +2) and that time our private server is expecting to launch a new world already, so I will have to move debugging down the todo-list.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

happymoep wrote:Turns out I got no desyncs at all. I registered some ore fields and it worked fine.
Interesting! I've been getting them pretty consistently as soon as I add even one ore field, but now I wonder if it's a difference between the Linux headless server and the Windows graphical client. I'll try with a Windows-to-Windows local connection when I get a chance and we'll see.

From memory, I did get much further with jorgenRe's initially-submitted version than with L0771's, but the desyncs inevitably showed up sooner or later.

Narc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Narc »

For the curious, YARM (Yet Another Resource Monitor) is now a thing. I ended up basically writing it anew, so I've also changed its name to avoid unwanted interactions (especially since that one won't read data from the old Resource Monitor mod, nor vice-versa).

Return to “Mods”