[MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.3

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.02

Post by Afforess »

Marathon 1.0.2 released. Minor balancing for Bob's mods. No other changes. See changelog for details. ;)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Thanks for quick fix :)

IhanaMies
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IhanaMies »

Nice ;)

sckuzzle
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sckuzzle »

- BALANCE: Copper plates required to create science pack 1 increased from 30 to 40
This is listed in the changelog, but the latest version still requires 30 copper plates for science pack 1.

Cos
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.1

Post by Cos »

orzelek wrote:@Cos - did you notice that deposits were being bigger with RSO further out or it wasn't noticable ?
It's something I'm trying to get some balance with and Marathon mod is good for testing.
Yes - I did see that but I tend to find I'm going about 2 - 3 times further out to get oil than any of the other resources.
Of course this could be either that I'm brilliant at being economical with coal / copper / iron or more likely I'm terribly innefficient with oil!

All those modules would not have helped - red circuits eat oil in marathon!

I guess it's all about balance.
If I'd gone for less efficiency modules I'd have more pollution and more attacks but needed a lot less oil.
The more I think about it the more I suspect it's just playstyle.

I don't think you need to do much on RSO - it works very well.
Likewise Afforess - Marathon is a great addition to Factorio and apart from maybe some very minor balancing I don't think anything needs changing.

Keep up the good work guys - you add a huge amount to the game and it's much appreciated - I look forward to playing again (maybe in 0.13 next time).

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

sckuzzle wrote:
- BALANCE: Copper plates required to create science pack 1 increased from 30 to 40
This is listed in the changelog, but the latest version still requires 30 copper plates for science pack 1.
Good eye. I'm not sure when that change was lost, but I'll release a fix this weekend for that.

garfu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by garfu »

As previously mentioned in the thread, the Marathon mod should work with whatever modules from Bob's enabled that you'd like. However this does not work for me. Using the latest version of everything, I was able to get everything loaded together fine. But when I go to disable a module from Bob's the game crashes on load. Am I misinterpreting that previous post?

edit: this is the post I'm referencing:
Afforess wrote: I actually took a bit of care to ensure that Marathon 1.0.0 verified each item from Bob's mod exists before updating the recipe. I just missed the fuel rebalances in in item.lua. There should be no problems running only a subset of Bob's mods.

I can provide more information if neeed, like what it's crashing on as I disable modules.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

garfu wrote: I can provide more information if neeed, like what it's crashing on as I disable modules.
Please do. Also which modules you have enabled + disabled!

I'll attempt to try a bunch of permutations myself, but exact instructions to reproduce are most helpful. ;)

garfu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by garfu »

Enabled:
Assembly
Config
Enemies
Library
Logistics
Modules
Power
Tech

Disabled:
Electronics
Mining
Ores
Plates/Intermediates
Warfare

Again, with everything enabled, everything is fine of course. When I disable the mods in the list I get this error:

If I disable those specific mods one at a time, I get similar errors.

If you'd like to troubleshoot over Steam or something, let me know.

Thanks for the help! Really looking forward to sinking another 200 hours into the game!

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

garfu wrote: If I disable those specific mods one at a time, I get similar errors.

If you'd like to troubleshoot over Steam or something, let me know.

Thanks for the help! Really looking forward to sinking another 200 hours into the game!
Can you try Marathon 1.0.3, which I just released? It should fix your issues.

garfu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Marathon 1.0.3

Post by garfu »

Fixed now, thanks!

But also I hate you because it's 10pm and I have work tomorrow....

IhanaMies
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IhanaMies »

@Afforess
Seems that you have missed Bobsmods Assembly Machines Mk 4, Mk5 and Mk 6 recipes. Can you fix them? :)

Wulfson
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Wulfson »

IhanaMies wrote:@Afforess
Seems that you have missed Bobsmods Assembly Machines Mk 4, Mk5 and Mk 6 recipes. Can you fix them? :)
I intentionally didn't adjust their recipes because they require each lower tier as input, and most of the intermediates already have increased cost. That said, I've not managed to get up to that point in my own play-through, so it very well could need more balancing.

withers
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by withers »

I may be alone in this, but I wouldn't mind seeing the balance of this adjusted to make science kits a little cheaper but the main factory components (assemblers, mines, inserters, etc) a lot more expensive such that the overall game length is about the same.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I've noticed that blue science is very costly. Not sure if that kind of jump is by design - but with bob'smods producing more then few blue science per minute seems quite difficult :D

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

So I tried to play Marathon a few times and ran into the same problem I would around 20x Burner Miners and 10x Stone Furnaces and be ready to start get my first tech and I would be over run by waves of monsters that I could not fight off with my pistol. Could no work out what I was doing wrong. In the end I got past that point by picking up my base and moving out of my pollution cloud once I get the items I needed for my first tech and build a base with just power and a lab. Got Military tech and come back and clear out old base sight with a machine gun. After that I would get attack a lot but I could cope. (at lest as far as I played, but am going to restart now)

So what was I doing wrong? I read up a little on Marathon and knew I would need to build a big base and when I was restarting looking for a good start point I would look for one with few trees and a big open space for building this would mean a big sandy place. What I didn't know about is 'De-polluters', basically trees and grass are good at making your pollution cloud smaller, sand is not. So while I have got started on this map it will have a large pollution clould because of where I am fight of monsters is going to be hard on Marathon anyway so I think I'm going to restart the game somewhere greener.

https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?tit ... -polluters

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Marathon mod does not embark evolution factor tweaking, even though :
- the augmented time needed to achieve anything is huge and has a direct impact on evolution factor
- the amount of resources needed to achieve anything is way bigger, thus produces a ton more pollution than vanilla

The result is an extremely challenging game (if you don't tweak evolution factor growth.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Afforess
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Afforess »

Tnarg wrote:So I tried to play Marathon a few times and ran into the same problem I would around 20x Burner Miners and 10x Stone Furnaces and be ready to start get my first tech and I would be over run by waves of monsters that I could not fight off with my pistol. Could no work out what I was doing wrong. In the end I got past that point by picking up my base and moving out of my pollution cloud once I get the items I needed for my first tech and build a base with just power and a lab. Got Military tech and come back and clear out old base sight with a machine gun. After that I would get attack a lot but I could cope. (at lest as far as I played, but am going to restart now)

So what was I doing wrong? I read up a little on Marathon and knew I would need to build a big base and when I was restarting looking for a good start point I would look for one with few trees and a big open space for building this would mean a big sandy place. What I didn't know about is 'De-polluters', basically trees and grass are good at making your pollution cloud smaller, sand is not. So while I have got started on this map it will have a large pollution clould because of where I am fight of monsters is going to be hard on Marathon anyway so I think I'm going to restart the game somewhere greener.

Generally I rush grenades and then take out any nearby biter bases. Military techs are pretty important early on.
Koub wrote:Marathon mod does not embark evolution factor tweaking, even though :
- the augmented time needed to achieve anything is huge and has a direct impact on evolution factor
- the amount of resources needed to achieve anything is way bigger, thus produces a ton more pollution than vanilla

The result is an extremely challenging game (if you don't tweak evolution factor growth.)
All true statements. Marathon is intentionally as minimal in its changes as it can be, and I don't feel that tweaking the evolution rates lead to a significantly better balance. There are many other mods which are dedicated to evolution factor and biters; players are likely better served by one of these than a general solution by Marathon. In my opinions, mods should try to do one thing, and one thing well.

Tnarg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tnarg »

Afforess wrote:
Tnarg wrote:So I tried to play Marathon a few times and ran into the same problem I would around 20x Burner Miners and 10x Stone Furnaces and be ready to start get my first tech and I would be over run by waves of monsters that I could not fight off with my pistol. Could no work out what I was doing wrong. In the end I got past that point by picking up my base and moving out of my pollution cloud once I get the items I needed for my first tech and build a base with just power and a lab. Got Military tech and come back and clear out old base sight with a machine gun. After that I would get attack a lot but I could cope. (at lest as far as I played, but am going to restart now)

So what was I doing wrong? I read up a little on Marathon and knew I would need to build a big base and when I was restarting looking for a good start point I would look for one with few trees and a big open space for building this would mean a big sandy place. What I didn't know about is 'De-polluters', basically trees and grass are good at making your pollution cloud smaller, sand is not. So while I have got started on this map it will have a large pollution cloud because of where I am fight of monsters is going to be hard on Marathon anyway so I think I'm going to restart the game somewhere greener.

Generally I rush grenades and then take out any nearby biter bases. Military techs are pretty important early on.
yes and playing on a on grass with lots of trees and water around gives you lots of time to do that. Try it in the middle of a large desert with very little water and your in trouble. That was my mistake even when there are no enemies visible at the start you get overwhelmed. Normally I try to take out bases as soon as or before my pollution cloud get to them but on desert start it spread out too quick and with this mod my start is too slow.

I've started again and got much further than before and have not been attack once.

MrChris
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MrChris »

Love this mod, but isnt it supose to take more then vanilla amount of science or is it just higher cost?

Return to “Mods”