[MOD 1.1] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 1.1] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Post by TheSAguy »

NE_Logo.png
NE_Logo.png (89.75 KiB) Viewed 44331 times
Description / Info:
This MOD will make the game harder! Focus on Weapons research and getting good defenses up!
This MOD adds and tries to manage the following areas of the game better:
- New Enemy Units
- Enemy spawners
- Enemy expansion criteria
- It also gives you a couple new buildings to help you fight these changes and stay alive!

DOWNLOAD:
Mod Portal:
NE Buildings
NE Enemies
NE Expansion - 0.16 only
Compatibility - If you use RSO please view this
Long description
Pictures
Version history
Credits
Please give me feedback!
Last edited by TheSAguy on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:25 pm, edited 174 times in total.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Natural Evolution v3.0.5 - All things Alien!

Post by TheSAguy »

Got it up and running for Version 0.12,
Please let me know if anyone has any errors, I have not thoroughly tested it yet. Don't have the time right now.
Last edited by TheSAguy on Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airat9000
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Natural Evolution v3.0.5 - All things Alien!

Post by Airat9000 »

link?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Natural Evolution v3.0.6 - All things Alien!

Post by TheSAguy »

Updated to v3.0.6.
Disabled debug mode. Was using if for testing.

I think everything works, besides the Alien Control Stations. (Mind Control)
Working on it.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

About to give it a try.
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

darkshadow1809
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by darkshadow1809 »

Sounds like a beautiful mod dude :) Thanks for making this! If you would want you can have my Evolution mod? It would fit nicely into your whole mod :) And you can make it compatible for dytech and such! Since i have my hands full on the modpack and replicators :)

Adding it to the modpack for 0.12! tell me if you disagree.

Credits will be added ofcourse :)
ShadowsModpackDevelopment

deathypoo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by deathypoo »

Having a problem here. When I destroy the first enemy base the game crashes. Any idea whats going on?

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

darkshadow1809 wrote:Sounds like a beautiful mod dude :) Thanks for making this!
Please enjoy!
darkshadow1809 wrote: If you would want you can have my Evolution mod? It would fit nicely into your whole mod :) And you can make it compatible for dytech and such! Since i have my hands full on the modpack and replicators :)
I'll check it out.
darkshadow1809 wrote: Adding it to the modpack for 0.12! tell me if you disagree.
Sure thing, note that the Alien Control Station is not currently running. Almost got it working though.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Having a problem here. When I destroy the first enemy base the game crashes. Any idea whats going on?
Same issue in MP. Disabling the mod allowed us to carry on, but I'm worried it will be too easy now! I will try enabling again tonight, when I get the crash I will try and fix it and post here again.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I fixed up what I could - no guarantees tho :)

I re-uploaded the file - fixed up the biter base problem properly.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like intended still but it won't crash.
Attachments
Natural-Evolution_3.0.6.zip
(880.56 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Yeah it fixes the initial base kill crash, however:

Obviously I am playing MP! The result of ignoring this on both clients is that the bases don't die, they flicker at minimum health but stay alive.
According to wiki game.player is for single player only, it needs to use game.players[<index>] in multiplayer. Instead I think this should be using the owning or acting player in each instance. I will try and rough out the code now.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Okay I modified this to use the force of the converter building to set force of converted spawners. I no longer get any crashes where I did before, although I was playing multiplayer but on my own (I will test more tomorrow when I have someone to play with).
I'm only uploading this to help the author, it is obviously not my own work and will be taken down when/if asked!

/edit
As I didn't say this already: thanks for this mod! It makes multiplayer much more fun, two of us required to take out spawners rather than just 2 shotting them with the tank.
Attachments
Natural-Evolution_3.0.6.zip
(880.59 KiB) Downloaded 442 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Natural Evolution v3.0.8 - All things Alien!

Post by TheSAguy »

Sorry for the crashes and late response guys. Had my hands full with RL and will probably have more to come.
I've posted an updated version that removed the Alien Control Station all together for now, until I get some more time to review.

Thanks to billw and orzelek for trying to help in my absence. I'll review what you've done and hopefully if will fix my errors! :)
Please give the new version a try and let me know if you have any errors. I've never done MP, so let me know if it works there.

P.S. The latest version also looks at the latest DyTech and Bob for v0.12 and makes a few adjustments if you're using those.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

billw wrote:Okay I modified this to use the force of the converter building to set force of converted spawners. I no longer get any crashes where I did before, although I was playing multiplayer but on my own (I will test more tomorrow when I have someone to play with).
I'm only uploading this to help the author, it is obviously not my own work and will be taken down when/if asked!

/edit
As I didn't say this already: thanks for this mod! It makes multiplayer much more fun, two of us required to take out spawners rather than just 2 shotting them with the tank.
Billw,

Give the attached one a try, it might work with your edits. I don't currently have the time to test.
Attachments
Natural-Evolution_3.0.9.zip
(880.32 KiB) Downloaded 440 times

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

I just had a look at the code I see an error. I will test at lunch time.

JLBShecky
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JLBShecky »

3.0.9 is still missing two instances of event.

Lines 98 and 99 both try and reference entity directly when it should be event.entity instead so I don't think orzelek's patch got fully implemented.

Never mind there is a little more missing than I had thought...

When an enemy spawner is destroyed it looks like it is supposed to convert everything in the area based on the name of the function that it is calling, the only problem is that the function that it calls (Convert_Base) takes three parameters and line 99 is only providing the first two. Without the new force being specified you still get a crash. That said I don't really understand why destroying an enemy spawner should cause all other enemies in it's vicinity to come under your control, but I am probably just missing something.

[Edit]
Well I didn't see the second edit that bill did, but without knowing why it is trying to convert enemies when an enemy spawner is destroyed I can't really suggest a fix short of the one that bill made by just completely ignoring when they are destroyed. (Actually looking at the Control_Enemies code I'd say that there is a really high probability that the code that bill commented out was actually supposed to release aliens from player control, but had it's logic inverted at some point in time.)

Also the way that surfaces are being handled, particularly with the mind control stuff that is still in place could be really exploitable with other mods. Currently it is being hard coded to always check the default surface for enemies instead of just using the surface in which the beacon is located. From the testing around that I have done entities know what surface they are on so there is no reason to hard code things to use a particular surface. Granted that is not to say that you can't prevent things from being used in/on a particular surface.

bloodgiver
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bloodgiver »

I have downloaded 3.0.9 version to check if that bug is gone - however no effect. Can't destroy spawner :(

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

JLBShecky wrote:3.0.9 is still missing two instances of event.

Lines 98 and 99 both try and reference entity directly when it should be event.entity instead so I don't think orzelek's patch got fully implemented.

Never mind there is a little more missing than I had thought...

When an enemy spawner is destroyed it looks like it is supposed to convert everything in the area based on the name of the function that it is calling, the only problem is that the function that it calls (Convert_Base) takes three parameters and line 99 is only providing the first two. Without the new force being specified you still get a crash. That said I don't really understand why destroying an enemy spawner should cause all other enemies in it's vicinity to come under your control, but I am probably just missing something.

[Edit]
Well I didn't see the second edit that bill did, but without knowing why it is trying to convert enemies when an enemy spawner is destroyed I can't really suggest a fix short of the one that bill made by just completely ignoring when they are destroyed. (Actually looking at the Control_Enemies code I'd say that there is a really high probability that the code that bill commented out was actually supposed to release aliens from player control, but had it's logic inverted at some point in time.)

Also the way that surfaces are being handled, particularly with the mind control stuff that is still in place could be really exploitable with other mods. Currently it is being hard coded to always check the default surface for enemies instead of just using the surface in which the beacon is located. From the testing around that I have done entities know what surface they are on so there is no reason to hard code things to use a particular surface. Granted that is not to say that you can't prevent things from being used in/on a particular surface.
JLBShecky,

First off, Thank you for taking a look at the code!! I really appreciate it.
I have a newborn due anyway and just don't have any time to test at the moment. Billw's main goal was to try and make the mod work in MP. I've never tested it there, so have no experience with that.

I'd really like for you to make some edits you feel needed if you don't mind. Especially with the Surface exploits you mention. I also totally agree that when a spawner get's destroyed, it should not convert the enemies in the area, as a fact, it should probably convert them back to enemies....
I have attached v.10 with some of the stuff you'e pointed out.

Again, if you could, please take a look at this, I have having a MOD out there with errors. (I think v8 on the main page should be all good, since it has the Alien Control totally removed)

Billw. Thanks you also for helping you!!
Attachments
Natural-Evolution_3.0.10.zip
NE X.10
(880.35 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

The 1st post 3.0.8 has small error in control file with defining non existing function for events.

Attaching fixed one in here.
Attachments
Natural-Evolution_3.0.8.zip
(881.36 KiB) Downloaded 422 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

orzelek wrote:The 1st post 3.0.8 has small error in control file with defining non existing function for events.

Attaching fixed one in here.
Thanks!
I replaced the file on the main page, don't have time today to do much more.

Return to “Mods”