[MOD 1.1] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Mezmerro
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x | 0.14.x] Natural Evolution - All things Alien!

Post by Mezmerro »

TheSAguy wrote:Is there an example you could point out to me so I can see how it's done and I'll implement.
Frankly I have no idea is it even possible with current modding tools, and haven't seen any mods that add circuit network compatibility to entities that do not support circuit networks by default. Then again I'm a complete amateur in Factorio modding and API.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

TheSAGuy,

Howdy. I play a more slow, defensive game and I run into artifact problems quite frequently (due to my play style and biter settings). In fact, I have to horde them for science and I'm not able to (often) experience the other parts of your building mod. To remedy this for players of my playstyle, I've created a mod that requires NEB for artifact cultivation. The mythos is that you use the spawner + genetic engineering to create viable alien DNA for artifact extraction.

It does this by creating a supply chain from artifact+plastic+BNS -> unfertilized egg; unfertilized egg+plastic+ENS -> fertilized egg; fertilized egg+plastic+ENS -> artifact. After you factor in the total artifact inputs from the solutions and the seed, you net ~7% artifacts. With the minimum investment (i.e., improper ratio) in the cultivator factories (spawners-turned-factories) it takes a long time to net three artifacts[1]; it'll be a while to just break even from the upfront investment in the factories. It's slow, but the more you do it, the power of return on investment will speed it up until you become self-sufficient from harvesting.

My main reason for writing is because currently it's named "Natural Evolution Artifacts". However, I do not want to publish it in the NE namespace without your blessing. I am happy to change it to something else if that is what you would prefer. If it's the latter, suggestions are welcome as it does require NEB.

Thanks.

[1] I'm not ready to publish yet. I am still playtesting the balance (particularly around time requirements), but I wanted to get the name sorted.

Diif
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Diif »

Hi! What you think about RU localization? I've done it already!
https://yadi.sk/d/ZfexFXxGvsvAf
https://mega.nz/#!ZQ9w0JoI!TN_S6OEEwTKK ... mZNHefSFtI

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Mezmerro wrote:Could you please add circuit support for all the radar-like entities in this mod, so they could be activated\deactivated on certain signal?
I would use power switch and manual placement of copper wire in order to enable circuit control for thumpers. Its much easier if not using laser turrets.

Mezmerro
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mezmerro »

iceman_1212 wrote:I would use power switch and manual placement of copper wire in order to enable circuit control for thumpers. Its much easier if not using laser turrets.
Me too, but it's not an elegant solution, and I cannot use it to control thumpers placed in free spots of my turret nests. Doubly so if I power those nests with wireless emitters from GImprovements.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Diif wrote:Hi! What you think about RU localization? I've done it already!
Thanks,
I'll include in next update.

Diif
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Diif »

TheSAguy wrote:
Diif wrote:Hi! What you think about RU localization? I've done it already!
Thanks,
I'll include in next update.
Wait, wait, i have found some misstakes.
Thanks!
https://yadi.sk/d/yCfHyXpKw5S3T
https://mega.nz/#!EUVCCJwZ!qD6VVA81TcZu ... B6dkmwlVWU

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

doktorstick wrote:TheSAGuy,

Howdy. I play a more slow, defensive game and I run into artifact problems quite frequently (due to my play style and biter settings). In fact, I have to horde them for science and I'm not able to (often) experience the other parts of your building mod. To remedy this for players of my playstyle, I've created a mod that requires NEB for artifact cultivation. The mythos is that you use the spawner + genetic engineering to create viable alien DNA for artifact extraction.

It does this by creating a supply chain from artifact+plastic+BNS -> unfertilized egg; unfertilized egg+plastic+ENS -> fertilized egg; fertilized egg+plastic+ENS -> artifact. After you factor in the total artifact inputs from the solutions and the seed, you net ~7% artifacts. With the minimum investment (i.e., improper ratio) in the cultivator factories (spawners-turned-factories) it takes a long time to net three artifacts[1]; it'll be a while to just break even from the upfront investment in the factories. It's slow, but the more you do it, the power of return on investment will speed it up until you become self-sufficient from harvesting.

My main reason for writing is because currently it's named "Natural Evolution Artifacts". However, I do not want to publish it in the NE namespace without your blessing. I am happy to change it to something else if that is what you would prefer. If it's the latter, suggestions are welcome as it does require NEB.

Thanks.

[1] I'm not ready to publish yet. I am still playtesting the balance (particularly around time requirements), but I wanted to get the name sorted.

I have no problem with the name :)
Sounds interesting.

wuputah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wuputah »

Hi! First, thanks so much for making your mod, it certainly makes the alien game much more exciting!

tl;dr... can I turn the chopping down trees => attacks off?

I'm playing a game with NE + bobs + RSO, and so I need a lot of space / expansion bases. I'm trying to manage evolution as best I can to make sure I can keep up with appropriate weaponry as I progress, but the attacks due to cutting down trees is driving me crazy. It means I have to set up / and move defenses while I am working on a new outpost etc (it isn't even polluting yet!). Probably wouldn't be as big an issue a bit later in the game but at my stage I am either chopping down trees manually or running them over with a tank. FWIW, tank destruction doesn't trigger the attacks, only chopping down trees with an axe.

Is there a way I can turn this off? I can't find anything in the config.lua files to modify this.

Thanks!

wuputah
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wuputah »

Ah, I found the tree code in control.lua, so... nevermind! Problem solved.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Just finished a long play through.
Was a lot of fun. Had pretty tough starting settings. Used RSO, but let the game do the Enemy Spawns. (A lot more then)
Final_Score
Killed a lot of biters.
Start_Settings
I never felt as if I was in any danger though. Don't think my Evo ever got over 55%.
So I'm going to update my mods a little. I've already created a Config standalone for NE.
Now really tweaking the 'Hard' setting. If you choose hard, I want it to be hard.

Like to hear some suggestions.

If anyone is interested, here is my mods I used and save.
Mods
SAVE

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

hi first off great mod(collection) but the enemy changes make it much more interesting - i haven't found a use for the pets (yet)...

but i have a question regarding the config

is there anyway to disable the green spiral of death spitters throw at me?
when hit by multiple of them at the same time its a one shot dead, just a tinsy bit anoying

i've looked through the config and i can't find it or it's named something not too obvious.

thanks

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Philip017 wrote:hi first off great mod(collection) but the enemy changes make it much more interesting - i haven't found a use for the pets (yet)...

but i have a question regarding the config

is there anyway to disable the green spiral of death spitters throw at me?
when hit by multiple of them at the same time its a one shot dead, just a tinsy bit anoying

i've looked through the config and i can't find it or it's named something not too obvious.

thanks
That's a spitter attack function and won't be part of a config setting.
What you could do is edit the file: \prototypes\Vanilla_Changes\Projectiles.lua
comma "--" out lines 124 through 127. It will look like below once done:

Code: Select all

--  {
         --   type = "create-entity",
         --  entity_name = "Infected-Poison-Cloud"
         -- },

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

removing those lines disables the visual (and a small amount of added dmg) however the bulk of the dmg done can be adjusted in the lines following, but ill leave that alone, thanks for the tip however :D ive gotten used to keeping clear of those large spawns, and have added me another mod, the ion cannon with satellite up link, death from above to those pesky worms and spawners, i've cleared enough away from my base i rarely get attacked any more :lol:

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

ok ive had my fun, but would like to add another mod, that is conflicting with NE-Enemies mod, but tring to toggle NE-Enemies mod causes game crash on loading of save file? not sure this is your fault, but not sure where to post information about this error...

attached is log file, hope this helps.
Attachments
factorio-current.log.zip
(3.59 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Philip017 wrote:ok ive had my fun, but would like to add another mod, that is conflicting with NE-Enemies mod, but tring to toggle NE-Enemies mod causes game crash on loading of save file? not sure this is your fault, but not sure where to post information about this error...

attached is log file, hope this helps.
What is the other Mod?
And what do you mean by toggle?
Could you possibly post your save and mods for me? Maybe dropbox or something.

Thanks.

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

will pm with info about crashing game

Jcewazhere
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jcewazhere »

Does this mod add mobs that light your base on fire? I keep getting fires that spread out of control through my base during biter attacks. I have no flamethrower turrets set up, just laser and gun turrets mixed. If it's not your mod is it a new vanilla thing I missed or do you know of another mod that may be doing that. If it is one of the "Natural Evolution" mods is there a config option to turn it off?
Thanks.

EDIT: I'm a derp it says right there in the mod portal description that fires can be turned off.
Thanks for a neat mod.

Lennartos
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Lennartos »

Keep getting desyncs when i have NE enabled in MP, issue appeared after updating to newest version, and also prevents new games..
does anyone else have the same issues?

Edit:removed link as desync has been resolved
Last edited by Lennartos on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Lennartos wrote:Keep getting desyncs when i have NE enabled in MP, issue appeared after updating to newest version, and also prevents new games..
does anyone else have the same issues?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mp0g0t7qhl5xd ... 1.zip?dl=0
Lennartos,
I don't play MP, so need someone to please help out here.
Thanks.

Return to “Mods”