Topics and discussion about specific mods
GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[MOD 0.12, 0.13, 0.14, 0.15] Electric Furnaces

Post by GotLag »

Type: Mod
Name: Electric Furnaces
Description: Adds electric versions of stone and steel furnaces, and late-game advanced electric furnace
License: No rights reserved
Version: 1.3.3
Release: 2016-04-25
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.30
Category: SimpleExtension
Tags: Furnace, ElectricFurnace
Download: Mod Portal
Electric Furnaces_2.0.0.zip
Factorio 0.13
(110.94 KiB) Downloaded 5907 times
Electric Furnaces_1.3.3.zip
Factorio 0.12
(110.9 KiB) Downloaded 5619 times
Older Versions

Localisations
Deutsch, English, Español, 日本語, Русский
License
Description
This mod adds electric versions of the stone and steel furnaces (which can fast-replace the existing ones), and level 2 and 3 versions of the electric furnace, with faster smelting speeds and more module slots. New research to unlock the higher tiers of electric furnace is also added.
Furnace Stats
Pictures
All furnaces have working and standby sprites, with animation in the working states.
Recipes
Technologies
Version history
As always I am open to suggestions, especially about balance.
Last edited by GotLag on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:17 am, edited 27 times in total.

kingbearsuit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Electric Furnaces [1.0.0]

Post by kingbearsuit »

This mod is great. This means I can start setting up smelting areas without having to run coal lines! Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know how much this increases the coal usage of a factory compared to using a coal-burning furnace.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I actually don't know - I started to play the game, and then got totally sidetracked tinkering with mods. I've never got around to building beyond the blue science pack phase :oops: - hence the uncertainty about balance

kingbearsuit
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kingbearsuit »

Just starting using these on a new map and I can't smelt steel in the basic furnace. Is that intentional?

EDIT: Nevermind! I was so eager to test these things out I forgot to research Steel Processing....

azurelinctus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by azurelinctus »

kingbearsuit wrote:This mod is great. This means I can start setting up smelting areas without having to run coal lines! Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know how much this increases the coal usage of a factory compared to using a coal-burning furnace.
The base game allows that already mate.

Chaosz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Chaosz »

Thank you! I've been looking for a mod with better electric furnaces!

eleng
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by eleng »

kingbearsuit wrote:Just out of curiosity, I'd be interested to know how much this increases the coal usage of a factory compared to using a coal-burning furnace.
Normal coal furnance: 180kW of heat energy from burning coal.
Electric furnance: 240kW of electric energy, "coal energy" to electric energy conwersion effectivity: 50%, so "coal energy" consumption will be 240/0,5=480kW.

Ratio is 480/180=2,6(6) - rather high

Changing it to 135kW electric energey will be nice, it will be 270kW "coal energy" - 150% coal usage.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

eleng wrote:Normal coal furnance: 180kW of heat energy from burning coal.
Electric furnance: 240kW of electric energy, "coal energy" to electric energy conwersion effectivity: 50%, so "coal energy" consumption will be 240/0,5=480kW.

Ratio is 480/180=2,6(6) - rather high

Changing it to 135kW electric energey will be nice, it will be 270kW "coal energy" - 150% coal usage.
Fair enough, I hadn't considered the efficiency of converting coal to electricity. I've updated the basic electric furnace to 135 kW (1.5 times stone/steel furnace coal usage) as you suggest, and the advanced electric furnace to 225 kW (2.5 times stone/steel furnace coal usage).

In other news, I still don't know how I failed to notice my basic mathematical error for so long (1.5 times 180 is not 240) :oops:

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Electric Furnaces v1.0.1

Post by bigyihsuan »

The fact that there's a space in the folder name is ripping my hairs out since I'm modding the mod to add in an electric steel furnace (not the 3x3 electric furnace, the 2x2 steel furnace).

A suggestion is to add in the electric steel furnace in anyway, since I'm too lazy to re-purpose my entire smelting area just to put in a 3x3 electric furnace or another belt for a regular steel furnace.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

What is the niche for an electric steel furnace, though? The steel furnace is a faster replacement for the stone furnace, and while the electric furnace is initially less efficient than the steel furnace, it takes upgrade modules and doesn't require a local fuel feed.

Edit: I suppose it could just be a straight-up electric version of the steel furnace, with no upgrade module capacity. But that would make it outright better than the normal electric furnace, and I'd really rather avoid changing vanilla game balance or recipes.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

GotLag wrote:What is the niche for an electric steel furnace, though? The steel furnace is a faster replacement for the stone furnace, and while the electric furnace is initially less efficient than the steel furnace, it takes upgrade modules and doesn't require a local fuel feed.

Edit: I suppose it could just be a straight-up electric version of the steel furnace, with no upgrade module capacity. But that would make it outright better than the normal electric furnace, and I'd really rather avoid changing vanilla game balance or recipes.
You could have the electric steel furnace use more energy than the regular Electric Furnace, so there's an incentive to use the modules in the vanilla Electric Furnace.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Electric Furnaces v1.1.0

Post by GotLag »

Added Steel Electric Furnace.

Talguy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Talguy »

GotLag wrote:Added Steel Electric Furnace.
Bug: Steel Electric Furnaces can be crafted before you can craft Steel Furnaces (you forgot to set the tech requirement to the recipe)

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Hooray!

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Talguy wrote:
Bug: Steel Electric Furnaces can be crafted before you can craft Steel Furnaces (you forgot to set the tech requirement to the recipe)
Whoops. Migration script only checked that Advanced material processing was defined, not that it was researched. Fixed and re-uploaded.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electric Furnaces v1.1.0

Post by orzelek »

Currently steel electric furnace variant is pretty.. bad.
It's using almost twice the energy (counting inefficiency of coal to power transfer).
Basically it's still worth it to actually drag the coal or stay with stone electric one.

Why it can't have same energy use as electric one?
It won't replace it since it has no module slots. Could have a bit lower crafting speed maybe if module slots are not enough of difference - maybe 1.5 ?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electric Furnaces v1.1.0

Post by GotLag »

orzelek wrote:Currently steel electric furnace variant is pretty.. bad.
It's using almost twice the energy (counting inefficiency of coal to power transfer).
Basically it's still worth it to actually drag the coal or stay with stone electric one.

Why it can't have same energy use as electric one?
It won't replace it since it has no module slots. Could have a bit lower crafting speed maybe if module slots are not enough of difference - maybe 1.5 ?
I know it's been a long time, but I've dropped the power consumption on the electric steel furnace to match the regular electric furnace. I hope the lack of upgrade slots is considered difference enough. I'm somewhat hamstrung in balancing because I don't want to change the power consumption of any vanilla entities, and the vanilla electric furnace already uses twice the power of the steel furnace (after accounting for boiler efficiency).

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electric Furnaces v1.3.0

Post by GotLag »

Updated to add level 3 furnace, with 4 module slots and smelting speed of 4.

7h3w1z4rd
Inserter
Inserter

Post by 7h3w1z4rd »

GotLag...
I have the same problem here as with the "Crafted Artifacts"...

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

7h3w1z4rd wrote:GotLag...
I have the same problem here as with the "Crafted Artifacts"...
Well, maybe the Problem is on your end then and whatever anti-virus program you have is a little overzealous.

Return to “Mods”