[MOD 0.12.x, 0.13.x] Side Inserters

Topics and discussion about specific mods
BULIGO
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Side Inserters v1.0.8

Post by BULIGO »

Many thanks for the mod.
It allows me to make much tighter bases/expansions/outposts. Couldn't play the game without it anymore.
It should have been in vanilla from day one, IMO.
Have a nice day.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

I've seen a few posts in the thread about Bob's Mods support.

Do you think you could do that?

ipbtaliz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ipbtaliz »

Hey,
meanwhile we wait for an official patch I modified this mod so that it would work with version 0.13.1

If you load a game from factorio version 0.12 and you already had unlocked Logistics 2 you won't see the new left and right stack inserters.
To fix this open lua console and write: /c remote.call("SideInserters","refresh")

Bugs:
I don't know any language beside Italian and English, so I didn't modify other locales files
Download:
Attachment. I can't paste links so no mirror, sorry.

GotLag updated the mod
Last edited by ipbtaliz on Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

SalinValu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SalinValu »

Hey ipbtaliz,

I think I just finished my own port of the mod to 0.13. I wont post mine since yours will actually migrate (I'm using only new worlds), but I figured out how to get the inserters to sort correctly in the crafting menu. Each of the items are sorted alphabetically within their subgroup based on their 'order' parameter as described in 'items.lua'. That is, instead of "f[inserter]-e[<name>]<a/b>" as you've got, you should simplify it to "e[filter-inserter]<a/b>", "f[stack-inserter]<a/b>", and "g[stack-filter-inserter]<a/b>", for the different inserters, respectively. I've gone ahead and attached a modified version of your 'items.lua'.

Hope it helps.
Attachments
items.lua
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

ipbtaliz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ipbtaliz »

SalinValu wrote:Hey ipbtaliz,

I think I just finished my own port of the mod to 0.13. I wont post mine since yours will actually migrate (I'm using only new worlds), but I figured out how to get the inserters to sort correctly in the crafting menu. Each of the items are sorted alphabetically within their subgroup based on their 'order' parameter as described in 'items.lua'. That is, instead of "f[inserter]-e[<name>]<a/b>" as you've got, you should simplify it to "e[filter-inserter]<a/b>", "f[stack-inserter]<a/b>", and "g[stack-filter-inserter]<a/b>", for the different inserters, respectively. I've gone ahead and attached a modified version of your 'items.lua'.

Hope it helps.
I think the problem was a mix of what you said and the fact that I left "f[blablabla]" everywhere instead of incrementing f to g.
Thank you for your help, I've updated the zip.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

An update is coming with big improvements in mod behaviour, but I'm waiting on some documentation from the developers. Hopefully soon.

Rifter08
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rifter08 »

So i updated to 1.3 and realized just how essential the side inserters are. Please update.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Updated and simplified:
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Side%20Inserters

No longer has any custom entities, items or recipes. Simply place any inserter you like (modded or vanilla) and press SHIFT+R while mousing over it to cycle its pickup direction.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Unrelated to this mod, but since you've played around with modding inserters... would it be possible to create one that grabs from the far side of a belt, or ever better, one that doesn't prefer either side when grabbing and keeps the belt balanced?

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x, 0.13.x] Side Inserters

Post by GotLag »

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to controlling which side of the belt an inserter picks up from. They will pick up from anywhere within a 1x1 tile area.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

GotLag wrote:Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any way to controlling which side of the belt an inserter picks up from. They will pick up from anywhere within a 1x1 tile area.
They don't really pick up from anywhere, they always prefer the near side somehow... making every belt look badly unbalanced :D oh well. This game requires and prevents perfectionism at the same time.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

What I mean is you can't tell it to only pick up from one lane.

Updated the 0.13 version to include another hotkey to toggle near/far lane insertion.

DarkHelmet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkHelmet »

Toggling the configuration via hotkey - this is awesome! Thanks!
A guide to planning your factory's space requirements:
1) Figure out how much space you need, double it to be safe.
2) Wrong! There's never enough space.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It's a really neat one now - works with any inserter :D
Anyone played around with blueprinting those?

Edit:
I noticed that copy/paste of inserter settings will also copy drop location.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

copy/paste copies drop location and arm rotation. blueprinting works like it is supposed too also.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

New 0.13 version update: Shift+F cycles fine adjustment of insert position, so you can choose lane even on corners or belts moving directly away from the inserter.

DarkHelmet
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DarkHelmet »

Request: is there any chance that a migration script could be added to convert the old individual inserters into replacements?

I realize the non-deployed ones are the same as generics now, but it would be awesome if already deployed ones could be converted to a working configuration. I've made minor patches to other mods that haven't been updated for 0.13 yet but this is beyond my capabilities.
A guide to planning your factory's space requirements:
1) Figure out how much space you need, double it to be safe.
2) Wrong! There's never enough space.

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

I'm looking into that now, I think I'm going to have to create a special "migration mod" that you only install long enough to load the map and save it.

Tyrindor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tyrindor »

This might be in my head but after installing this my inserters seem to greatly prefer picking up items on the closet part of the belt, resulting in very lopsided belts where 1 lane is nearly empty and the other is full. Prior, it seemed it was random which belt side they picked up from. Splitter don't seem to fix it because it's too severe of a split.

Never really had this problem before, and this mod is the only thing I changed. Anyone else seeing the same?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

It is in your head. My guess you reasearched some stack size increase. and regular inserters can pick up multiple items off a belt now depending on the level of research so these are probably the gaps you are seeing.

Return to “Mods”