Re: [WIP] [0.12.0] Alien walls [0.2.1]

Post by vedrit »

Heh, oops. Underscore in wrong spot. Fixed, and I'll re-upload

Cooolaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Cooolaid »

I wish you had a version of this mod that was NOT dependant on the Evolution mod.
But rather, let us use Alien Artifacts as one of the main parts of the recipe to build the Alien wall.

For those that do not want to install Evolution mod but have these Alien Walls.
:D

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I've considered it, but removing the dependency on Evolution means that you can get these really strong walls and gates earlier.

On another note, I'm thinking of changing the recipe to require vanilla stone wall and gate respectively, rather than stone and circuits.

DreamSmith
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DreamSmith »

How about moving the tech to after Alien Technology, that would allow non evo players to use it.

ZagatoMKR
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ZagatoMKR »

Great mod, thanks! I had to edit it myself to change recipe and to add different wall color. I changed recipe like so:
Reduced Alien Bioconstruct cost from 15 to 5 // didn't see a point in having it so high, it's "just" a wall
Changed stone cost to 1 Stone Wall instead // This way all used Stone Wall isn't wasted

And this is how my wall is looking like in game (I an still tweaking the color I want it to be):

It's easy to change wall color in Adobe Photoshop, just copy and load wall segment pictures from game's __base__, add color overlay (in layer style) with the color and opacity you want (I used 25% opacity in provided test pic). Remember edit mod so it can use new wall pics (easiest is to use replace feature in Note++).

To those new to Factorio modding like me: if you want to change recipe in your save, the easiest way would be to just reload mod (delete -> open/exit game -> add mod back -> open/exit game -> load save) or you can read wiki:
Q : I've modified the recipe and/or technology prototypes and when I load my save game the changes aren't there even though it works in a new game.
Fix : You need to run game.player.force.resetrecipes() and/or game.player.force.resettechnologies() to make Factorio reload the prototypes, this can be done using the console (~) or via the game.oninit event in control.lua (which will run when the mod is first added to a game), or through migration files (if you've made a mod release and need to 'migrate' user's saves to a new version automatically). The first is the easiest while testing, the second when you're releasing a mod for the first time, and the third for when you've already made a mod release. The prototypes are saved in the save file so as to (eventually) allow making changes to them during runtime (control.lua), which is why they need to be 'reset' for saves.
Remember that deleting and then re-adding mod will delete existing items or might cause issues (destroy existing items (place them in a storage unit and destroy it) mod provides to be sure there will be no issues).

Cheers.
P.S. Forgot to add that I have also included Acid 25% and Poison 25% resistances (same as Evolution Armor MK2).

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

ZagatoMKR wrote:Great mod, thanks! I had to edit it myself to change recipe and to add different wall color. I changed recipe like so:
Reduced Alien Bioconstruct cost from 15 to 5 // didn't see a point in having it so high, it's "just" a wall
Changed stone cost to 1 Stone Wall instead // This way all used Stone Wall isn't wasted
Yeah, I haven't done much for balance and wasn't sure if the Bioconstruct was too high. I don't know if I'll drop it down to 5 in the official, since it's not 'just' a wall, it's a wall that heals and has higher than vanilla stats :p
And this is how my wall is looking like in game (I an still tweaking the color I want it to be):

It's easy to change wall color in Adobe Photoshop, just copy and load wall segment pictures from game's __base__, add color overlay (in layer style) with the color and opacity you want (I used 25% opacity in provided test pic). Remember edit mod so it can use new wall pics (easiest is to use replace feature in Note++).

To those new to Factorio modding like me: if you want to change recipe in your save, the easiest way would be to just reload mod (delete -> open/exit game -> add mod back -> open/exit game -> load save) or you can read wiki:
Q : I've modified the recipe and/or technology prototypes and when I load my save game the changes aren't there even though it works in a new game.
Fix : You need to run game.player.force.resetrecipes() and/or game.player.force.resettechnologies() to make Factorio reload the prototypes, this can be done using the console (~) or via the game.oninit event in control.lua (which will run when the mod is first added to a game), or through migration files (if you've made a mod release and need to 'migrate' user's saves to a new version automatically). The first is the easiest while testing, the second when you're releasing a mod for the first time, and the third for when you've already made a mod release. The prototypes are saved in the save file so as to (eventually) allow making changes to them during runtime (control.lua), which is why they need to be 'reset' for saves.
Remember that deleting and then re-adding mod will delete existing items or might cause issues (destroy existing items (place them in a storage unit and destroy it) mod provides to be sure there will be no issues).
I've been trying to get custom images, but no luck so far.
Cheers.
P.S. Forgot to add that I have also included Acid 25% and Poison 25% resistances (same as Evolution Armor MK2).
I'm not sure about the acid or poison resists, since conceptually it's more soft-fleshy-stuff than hardened chitin or something. Interesting thought, though. Maybe there'll be another tier of alien wall, which will have higher stats.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Alien walls [0.2.1]

Post by vedrit »

darkshadow1809 wrote:Been trying to fix this. unfortunately factorio has no real options for AI behavior so i discontinued this mod :(
Because of this, I'll be working to make Alien Walls standalone. For those who have been asking for it, your wish (will soon be) granted! I'll also see about making some adjustments, like changing the wall and gate colors.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Alien walls [0.3.1]

Post by vedrit »

Sorry for the delay, everyone. Alien Walls is now standalone!
I've also added sprites much like what ZagatoMKR did so that you can tell which walls/gates are hybrid and which are not. Still trying to get custom entity graphics, but until such a time, this'll have to do.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I neglected to edit research costs. Pack has been re-uploaded with more reasonable research costs

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

I've gotten permission from darkshadow to use the resources from his discontinued Evolution mod, which I will be integrating into this when Factorio 0.13 is released. Otherwise, this mod is still stable, and I'm still trying to get custom graphics

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Alien walls [0.3.2]

Post by vedrit »

New version up. Not much in the way of changes, but I did fix an issue where research wasn't affecting the regen amount.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Working on the next version of Alien Walls and including some features from the Now abandoned Evolution mod, with darkshadow's approval previously given.
I won't attach it here since I'll be uploading it and all future updates to the mod portal. I will, of course, include a link for easy access.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Version 0.4.0 has been released!
Changes include:
Update for Factorio version 0.13.x
Integration of resources and items from darkshadow's Evolution mod, with his consent.
Removal of dependence on Alien Artifacts. Walls and gates now use new item Alien Bioconstruct
New tech, Alien Bio Engineering which unlocks the Alien Bioconstruct recipe and Alien Hybridization 1
Ground work laid for higher tier walls and additional technologies.

As always, feedback is appreciated!

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Alien walls [0.4.4]

Post by vedrit »

Version 0.4.4 has been put onto the mod portal

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.14.x] Alien walls [0.4.4]

Post by fishycat »

Hey everyone, I've updated Alien walls for 0.15 and fixed some locales and the wire problem with the gates. I also adjusted the tech a bit.

All credit of course to the mod creators!
Attachments
AlienWall_0.5.0.zip
(883.7 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.15.x] Alien walls [0.5.0]

Post by vedrit »

fishycat wrote:Hey everyone, I've updated Alien walls for 0.15 and fixed some locales and the wire problem with the gates. I also adjusted the tech a bit.

All credit of course to the mod creators!
Cool, thanks!

Nebbeh
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nebbeh »

First, thanks for the update!
Ran into an issue tho, for some reason the walls will not heal, I have researched the needed techs for walls and gates, but if I damage the walls they do not heal.

Edit: Never mind, I had cheated in some walls in map editor before I started the game, replaced the walls and healing worked.

I also had to change icon size on gate and wall from 32 to 64 pixels ^^

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Nebbeh wrote:I had cheated in some walls in map editor before I started the game, replaced the walls and healing worked.
Yeah, the game checks a list of entities if they need to be healed, and entities only get put on that list if they're placed during play.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Alien Biomass on Non-New Games

Post by abordoli »

Will it generate beyond areas currently scanned or does it require a new game?
Regards,
~A

P.S. Is this just a red, stronger, regenerating wall or does it actually have wormy structures coming in and out of it? The latter, I think, would be cool.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Alien Biomass on Non-New Games

Post by vedrit »

abordoli wrote:Will it generate beyond areas currently scanned or does it require a new game?
Regards,
~A

P.S. Is this just a red, stronger, regenerating wall or does it actually have wormy structures coming in and out of it? The latter, I think, would be cool.
I'm not 100% on ore generation, but I think it will generate in unscanned areas.

P.S.A. The hope was to, yes, have wormy parts wriggling and pulsating, but it never worked out. The artist kept insisting that it looked like giant poop on the wall.

Return to “Mods”