Engineers mod pack

Topics and discussion about specific mods
engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Engineers mod pack

Post by engineer13 »

I'm thinking about making a rather large mod (or mod pack). The focus is currently on making a computer for Factorio similar to how Minecraft has Computercraft. The rest of the mod would focus on a variety of items and techs that revolve around the computer. For example: a train camera situated next to a track sends the speed and length (in carriages) to a computer which then does some math and decided when to open a gate further on the track as well as for how long. I'm posting this because I want to see if people are interested in such a mod. It has a great potential to add a lot of new factory designs and just change gameplay in general. I don't think it would take the fun out of the game because it doesn't create any items or anything like that instead it would just allow an easier method of fine tuning and OCDing your layouts. So let me know what you guys think.
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

jorgenRe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Engineers mod pack

Post by jorgenRe »

That do sound quite so nice to have a computer like computercraft :D
Being able to have a train yard full of trains that my computer could accesss and have it send a train that is available to where its needed would be quite so nice. :D!
Logo
Noticed the told change in FFF #111 so il continue to use my signature ^_^
Thanks for listening to our suggestions, devs :D!
I would jump of joy if we could specify which tiles spawned in a surfaces

StanFear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by StanFear »

yeah I think this would be interesting too.

Althoug your idea of controlling gates with it seems to be useless (the vanilla game already knows when to open the door and for how long)
but knowing the length of the train could be interesting to redirect the train to a specific station (one that match the length of the train)

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

StanFear wrote:yeah I think this would be interesting too.

Althoug your idea of controlling gates with it seems to be useless (the vanilla game already knows when to open the door and for how long)
but knowing the length of the train could be interesting to redirect the train to a specific station (one that match the length of the train)
Yeah, that was just an example. Basically the focus would be on control. You would be able to control a multitude of things from a single computer (assembling machines could be switched on or off in order to create efficient production and the same with inserters, splitters could be controlled instead of screwing over your production because you put it in the wrong place and so on). Trains would gain a lot of benefit from this just because of all the stuff they could have, but, with the right items, just about any part of your factory could be affected. Basically the idea is that there will be a bunch of sensor items along with a computer a new wires. Using the wires you can connect the computer to a whole host of things allowing you to give a signal to the connection or to receive a signal from it. Potentially there could even be a version of turtles in the game allowing you to automatically place and destroy items (moving factories?).
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

The main thing I want to work on first is the Automated Robot Machine (ARM...don't look at me I'm not that creative...). Basically it will be a robot that you can place down and then you can control it via a computer. It won't have any computer itself so you can only control it by either making a program and uploading it to the turtle or using internet to connect to the turtle and give it orders on the fly (internet will be added later). The robot will be able to do most everything a player can (mine, place down items/buildings, break items/buildings, open chests and other inventories to get items out or put items in and so on). In fact I may even add a train cart to carry ARM's in since I don't think I will be making them particularly speedy.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Why did you call it "engineers"?

--
To me it sounds more like "Computerization"

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

As I said, I'm not very creative. I was trying to think of a simple enough name and so I just used my nick. Computerization actually isn't too bad an idea.

Devildog
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Devildog »

Sounds interesting,

When are you starting on it.

And + 1 On " Computerization "
Check Out Factorio Mod Madness 2.0 Here : http://bit.ly/1afTDl0
Mod Madness ModPack

engineer13
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by engineer13 »

Devildog wrote:Sounds interesting,

When are you starting on it.

And + 1 On " Computerization "
Yeah I like Computerization as well. I've been doing some 5k's and now we are in the middle of a move so after all this settles down I should be able to get started on this.

Return to “Mods”