[0.11.X] Burner Lamp

Topics and discussion about specific mods
matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

[0.11.X] Burner Lamp

Post by matpmag »

Current Features
Adds a solid fueled lamp for the early game.
Usage
Supply the lamp with fuel and burner components. The lamp will run all the time though ;)
It produces broken components, but maybe you can find a way to recycle these...

Planned Features
  • Add better graphics
  • Fix icon sizes
Download
burner-lamp_0.0.2.zip
Version 0.02
(31.59 KiB) Downloaded 780 times
Changelog
Changelog

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.11.X] Burner Lamp

Post by Peter34 »

Hi, thanks for making the mod, but it seems to burn up the Components very, very fast.

I really was hoping for a cheap light source for early-game, i.e. the pre-electricity phase. In exchange for being cheap to fuel, it can have a smaller light radius. Also, it might be neat if the light emitted by it was changed to a more red-yellow hue, to look more like fire. Anyway I envisioned it as some kind of coal-burning brazier, giving off light, rather than some device to burn coal to drive a turbine to generate electricity to power a primitive filament light bulb.

edit: I like that it keeps burning and giving off light during the day. That may have been unintentional, but it actually fits, since it's a much more primitive light source than the Electric Lamps, which give the impression of having built-in daylight sensors so that they automatically turn off at sunrise.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:Hi, thanks for making the mod, but it seems to burn up the Components very, very fast.
Thanks for testing this mate. I haven't really looked into balancing it - I haven't even had time to test this out while actually playing the game. How much longer should the components last? Twice as long? Ten times? What do you think :)
Peter34 wrote: I really was hoping for a cheap light source for early-game, i.e. the pre-electricity phase. In exchange for being cheap to fuel, it can have a smaller light radius...

...Anyway I envisioned it as some kind of coal-burning brazier, giving off light, rather than some device to burn coal to drive a turbine to generate electricity to power a primitive filament light bulb.
Ill look at the fuel usage, light radius and stuff. The graphics can be changed fairly easily if I had them - unfortunately I'm pretty dire at making things like that :lol:
-- If I did this though, what would I change the components to?
Peter34 wrote:Also, it might be neat if the light emitted by it was changed to a more red-yellow hue, to look more like fire.
I'll look at this as well - it would really fit well with the brazier idea!
Peter34 wrote:I like that it keeps burning and giving off light during the day. That may have been unintentional, but it actually fits, since it's a much more primitive light source than the Electric Lamps, which give the impression of having built-in daylight sensors so that they automatically turn off at sunrise.
I like that too! Completely unintentional at the time though ;)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

matpmag wrote:
Peter34 wrote:Hi, thanks for making the mod, but it seems to burn up the Components very, very fast.
Thanks for testing this mate. I haven't really looked into balancing it - I haven't even had time to test this out while actually playing the game. How much longer should the components last? Twice as long? Ten times? What do you think :)
Maybe 10 times longer. Or 20 times longer in exchange for a somewhat smaller light radius, if you can tweak that via the modding system.

i also think the components are a bit expensive. How about you pay 1 Coal and 1 Wood to get 20 Components?

If you're worried about it becoming too easy to get a long-lasting light source, perhaps you can make it so that the Burner Lamp can hold only a very limited amount of fuel and limited amount of input and/or output Components? That way if a player really wants a long-lasting Burner Lamp that can run unattended, he must set up a Burner Inserter.

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I get a weird error message, half the time I try to start up Factorio, that clearly pertains to this mod. Or rather, I tried startig up Factorio about four times or so, and half the time I got the glitch. Once I tried starting it up, it refused and gave me an error message. I waited a few seconds then without having done anything other than wait I tried again and that time it did start up and ran fine.

I eventually disabled the mod, but once I get the time for it (a couple days), I'll re-enable it and write down the exact text of the error message. It's just really odd that the error only occurs some of the time. I'm used to computer errors being consistent and predictable.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:I get a weird error message
Strange, try and find the error text and I'll take a look :)

Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Peter34 »

I think I've found the error. Not 100% sure, only 99.9%, but apparently I copied the mod into the Factorio mods older several times and one of the instances of the mod got a (1) appended to its filename.

If I'm right, then there's no error in the mod itself, just a user error.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Peter34 wrote:I think I've found the error. Not 100% sure, only 99.9%, but apparently I copied the mod into the Factorio mods older several times and one of the instances of the mod got a (1) appended to its filename.

If I'm right, then there's no error in the mod itself, just a user error.
Haha - PEBKAC error? :lol: just joking ;) - let me know if there's any other problems!

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Hello, I was about to spotlight this mod, but I found a problem and figured it best to wait for it to be fixed.

From what I understand, when a component 'burns out', it's meant to create a Broken Burner Component? This doesn't seem to happen, as in the green bar stays full, there's no output(that I can see), the light stops working and putting new components in does nothing. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way of crafting a new Burner Component from a broken one, as the recipe isn't selectable in the crafting menu.

Please let me know if I'm just being simple and misunderstanding how this mod works. ;)

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

FishSandwich wrote:Hello, I was about to spotlight this mod, but I found a problem and figured it best to wait for it to be fixed.

From what I understand, when a component 'burns out', it's meant to create a Broken Burner Component? This doesn't seem to happen, as in the green bar stays full, there's no output(that I can see), the light stops working and putting new components in does nothing. Also, there doesn't seem to be a way of crafting a new Burner Component from a broken one, as the recipe isn't selectable in the crafting menu.

Please let me know if I'm just being simple and misunderstanding how this mod works. ;)
It should work - I'll look into this. You should wait a bit before spotlighting it though - I'm in the process of updating a couple of things and getting some better graphics ;) I'll let you know when I'ts ready!

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

Brilliant. This is a must have mod!

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

The following assumes the burner lamp functions as a stone furnace;

Would it be possible to make a recipe thats only used by the Burner Lamp that uses coal as fuel, and as the item to be 'smelted'? And then just set the craft time to very long but low pollution.

vampiricdust
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vampiricdust »

CreeperDaReeper wrote:The following assumes the burner lamp functions as a stone furnace;

Would it be possible to make a recipe thats only used by the Burner Lamp that uses coal as fuel, and as the item to be 'smelted'? And then just set the craft time to very long but low pollution.
That's what this mod seems to do exactly. It "smelts" the burner components.

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

vampiricdust wrote:Brilliant. This is a must have mod!
Cheers mate! I appreciate the encouragement :)
vampiricdust wrote:
CreeperDaReeper wrote:The following assumes the burner lamp functions as a stone furnace;

That's what this mod seems to do exactly. It "smelts" the burner components.
Exactly - It's a stone furnace locked to only be able to craft broken components, with altered gfx and a better light radius :D

matpmag
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by matpmag »

Wanted: Graphic designer!
Hours: One-off job
Description: I'm looking for better graphics for this mod
  • Lamp icon and entity graphic
  • Burner component icons
Pay: 9001 internet cookiez! A shout out in the OP! PM me with requests!
Moar infoz: Click here

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Even though it doesn't make sense on early game,

could the burner laps also run on some of the oils?
Real burner lamps can do that, right?
Also it would just mean smelting a full barrel into an empty one I think.

mzladl
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mzladl »

Hi
I hope you don't mind but I found this mod on http://factoriomods.net/burner-lamp-mod/ & LOVED it, but it wouldn't work on v0.16. I have been trying to find something similar but failed so I learned how to mod a little to get it to work & have posted it to:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/burner-lamp

Please post a message there if you want me to remove it - I didn't know about this forum/original mod until just now.

And thanks for this GREAT mod, I'm surprised you're the only one that made something like it (there is another solar powered one but this is more what I wanted)

Mark L.

Return to “Mods”