[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.1

Post by damienreave »

Glad you're having fun!

Based on your feedback, I tested the military side of the game and I agree its pretty rough. I've decreased the resources needed for rifle ammunition (although the tech remains the same) and added a heavy machine gun that should help with clearing out the early biter spawners, for those of you crazy enough to play on default settings.

Its very true that you need to plan ahead to succeed at this mod, at least if you're working with limited space. Not too much can go wrong on pacifist mode, really, if you're just looking for the economic side of the game.

3.3 will have two different endgame victory point generators. Its mostly done, but I want to fully test it before I release it into the wild.

Military Victory Points will require lots of Power Armor, Tanks, Rockets, various guns and ammo.

Electronic Victory Points will require lots of various stages of electronics, plus plastic, aluminum, glass, and rubber for case /wiring.

I'm open to suggestions for other types of victory points, but I think these are kind of a placeholder mechanic while we wait for 0.12 from the devs. I want to see what's possible with 0.12 before finalizing anything.

Here's some preview images:

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

Don't make too much of an adjustment. I'm playing your mod for the first time, making lots of mistakes, but still keeping it small enough not to be attacked by biters yet. To tell you the truth, it's been so long since I've played that I forget what weapons I used to take out the beginning worms. But last time I played, playing on default setting in the normal game was too easy. I hear they upped alien difficulty, and playing with no crafting makes it a bit harder. But your mod seems to be about right as to making the early game exciting, wondering if I'll survive.

I've got green science up and running, and boy does it feel like I accomplished something. Got it going just after I got the last red science tech discovered.

No matter how much planning I did, it still looks like a mess. Probably because I had to keep it as small as possible.

Still working on walling in my base.

My greatest fear now is running out of tin. I only found one small patch, and if I run out, I'll have to explore more to find another, and not sure if I can remain clear of the aliens if I do. So I may have to be able to take out their bases before I run out.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

I am still loving playing with this mod. It does add a lot of complexity, but the reward for a smoothly operating factory is just that much greater. I am playing on peaceful mode, which I don't normally do... but I am glad I did since it lets me focus on making organized improvements to the factory without the added overhead of defenses.

For me, quartz was the real challenge for a while, but eventually I got a rail line up to a pretty decent sized patch of it. I still have to carry the quartz and wood a little bit, but I got all or most of the red/green research done, so I'm blocked until I can pump out blue ones.

Another small bit of feedback - brine is created without any input, you should probably fix that.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Brine is working as intended, for now. Brine is just basically salt water, and brine pools occurs naturally in large amounts out in the world. The extractor is just pumping it out of the ground.

I'm going to look into making brine pools work like oil patches for a future release. I'm not sure what's involved honestly, but its probably possible.

Tardan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tardan »

this is a great mod, i realy like it :)

an update from 3.2 to 3.3 is not possible, because i dont have the inductors receipe, because the necessary technology i researched with 3.2

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Sometimes you can fix that by unresearching the tech with the console and reresearching it. Not always though, I was stuck with the recipe giving 1 rubber instead of 5 on my test playthrough, which was tough.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

This means that mod author should add proper migration and include following calls in it:

Code: Select all

game.player.force.resetrecipes()
game.player.force.resettechnologies() 
This should force reload of recipe and tech data to register if there were changes to costs etc.

ThaPear
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ThaPear »

Loving the mod, it got me back into the game, very good work!

I did miss some dependencies in the tech tree though.
Crafting a car requires rubber, but the Automobilism research does not depend on the Synthetic Rubber research.
Same goes for the tank, crafting one requires tungsten, but its research does not depend on Tungsten Processing.

Some others:
Lasers should require Zinc Processing.
Military 4 should require Tungsten Processing.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

The victory conditions in 3.3 sold me on this one. I'm really enjoying the process of figuring out new builds for everything.

However, I've noticed an oddity. I want to start setting up tree farms, so it appears that I need biotechnology in order to be able to make fertilizer. I see that Biotechnology requires Advanced Electronics 2, but that none of the buildings unlocked by Biotechnology need anything from the Advanced Electronics 2 tech, or from Gold Processing, Advanced Materials Processing, Ceramics, Chemical Processing 3, etc. It does, however, need Electrolysis 2 for the hydrogen chloride.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Hrm... yeah, I could probably move Fertilizer down to green tech.

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

Here's a screenshot of my aluminum foundry. It's cramped and not very stylish, but it's made more aluminum than I'll ever be able to use.

Sadly, at full speed my wood buffer can't fill the belts enough to supply the wood for both this and the 4MW of power needed to run it all. Also, I probably should have built it with the ash on the right and the aluminum output on the left.

Share your own! I'll be over there, looking for some zinc...

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

You can't make basic exoskeleton equipment or personal solar panels in factories because some of the ingredients (the large motors or the solar panels) take more than a whole stack.

Nalshee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nalshee »

Hello.
I started with this mod last week and work around 13-15h on my current map.I played 3.1 with landfill and peace mod. I finished all non military red+green researches. Yesterday i patched to 3.3 and recognized that some items changes. First and allready reported the inducters (hope Im right ,Im writing with the phone atm) i thought ok easy to fix but today i see that i dont can build kevler or amoniak.
So it is possible to make a changelog with all changes. And will this happen again with the next versions? Have someone an easy fix for this? Or did I need to restart?
I like your mod very much, may i will upload some factory pics later

Greetings
Nalshee

Nihth
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nihth »

I also have some problems upgrading from 3.2 to 3.3.
I have a game with 46h play time, when I load it up it removes transistors and processing electronics, and im missing the recipe/tech for both of them. Anyone know how to fix this?
Earlier I could unlearn tech with a console command and research it again. Anyone know if this would solve it, and if so which technologies I need to unlearn?

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Anyone who's having problems with changing between versions (missing or outdated recipes or techs), I'll have a new version up quite soon that has migration implemented, which should fix all those issues.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Looking forward to it. I am still playing with 3.1, I just cheated in a couple places.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

3.4 is up.

It's not only save compatible, but should automatically migrate everything properly. You'll need to research some of the new techs, and you'll need to redesign any production lines which have had their recipes changed, but I managed to switch over an old endgame 3.1 save file to a working factory in less than an hour to test the migration, and everything looks good.

I'm working on 3.5, which will NOT be save game compatible, because it involves a total rework of the ores and ore spawning system, as well as most smelting processes. I'll post more details as I get more done.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by pib »

I updated from 3.1 to 3.4.
I did not get the inductors recipe and electronics was already researched.
I did not get the doping solution and advanced electronics 3 was already researched

I did

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.technologies['electronics'].researched=false
/c game.player.force.technologies['electronics'].researched=true
/c game.player.force.technologies['advanced-electronics-3'].researched=false
/c game.player.force.technologies['advanced-electronics-3'].researched=true
to reset the research and get the recipes.

All my transistors are gone without a trace.
All my air compressors are gone... I had to reset that technology as well.

The only other oddity I noticed is that I had to research zinc and brass processing even though I had already been making zinc and brass plates.

I think everything else transferred exactly as intended. I am having fun exploring the new changes

db48x
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by db48x »

damienreave wrote:3.4 is up.

It's not only save compatible, but should automatically migrate everything properly.
Be careful though, 3.4 has challenge mode enabled by default; if you upgrade without editing config.lua first, you may find that your inventory is a bit light!
damienreave wrote:You'll need to research some of the new techs, and you'll need to redesign any production lines which have had their recipes changed, but I managed to switch over an old endgame 3.1 save file to a working factory in less than an hour to test the migration, and everything looks good.
I'm curious to hear why you changed the zinc recipe. I know it's all a bit arbitrary since there's any number of minerals that qualify as "zinc ore", but it was interesting to have to deal with the extra sulfuric acid requirement.
damienreave wrote: I'm working on 3.5, which will NOT be save game compatible, because it involves a total rework of the ores and ore spawning system, as well as most smelting processes. I'll post more details as I get more done.
Perhaps that should be called 4.0 then?

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Post by damienreave »

Yeah, 4.0 might be a better designation.

As far as Zinc goes... yeah, it needs some work, as far as accuracy goes. I'm rebuilding all of the ores and smelting from the ground up right now. Its an interesting challenge to balance the gameplay around.

Return to “Mods”