[UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.4

Topics and discussion about specific mods
damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Introducing NARMod 2.1

Post by damienreave »

At this point, I don't have much confidence I can remember who's is what with any real clarity, but I can try.

The core of treefarm is intact, but all the recipes are changed and the way you get potassium / nitrogen etc all made realistic.

I believe Dytech was the original adder of all the new ores? I honestly don't know. But all the extra ores are in this mod except for gems, and I added chromium as well.

Other than that, I just used a few art assets from Dytech for frames and power stuff.

I used Bob's Electronics Overhaul as a starting point, but expanded on it greatly for the electronics parts.

F-mod I mainly used for metallurgy stuff, again as a starting point and then expanding on it.

That covers what I can remember off the top of my head.

VyMajoris
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VyMajoris »

Thanks for the info. I'll try the mod when you get the 3.1 version out.

EurypteriD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EurypteriD »

First of great mod. :P

I have started a lets play on challenge mode. i am going through all the techs as well, At the moment about 120 min in i have only Basic automation and basic power

Here is a link to the playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zRoW-DrdCr
Let's Play Youtube Channel

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

There are a few known bugs in the 2.5 release that are going to prevent you from completing the game normally. You can either console those items in, or wait for the 3.1 release and start over, EurypteriD. 3.1 should be out later today.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [UPDATED] Introducing NARMod 3.1

Post by damienreave »

Started watching the Lets Play as I worked on the mod. Factorio-ception. Looks good so far!

So, 3.1 is released. My advice would be to start a new game in 3.1 and play up to where you are in video 3 off camera. 3.1 hasn't changed anything at all in the content you've already shown, so we're not missing anything.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

This is a good mod and people should try it out.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Thanks pib!

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Not sure where to report bugs but, in the new version, capacitors require glass plates, which is unlocked by chemical processing 3, which requires green download backs to unlock, but you can't produce the packs without capacitors.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Ugh... I spent so much time pouring over the tech tree trying to make sure there weren't any hardlocks like that, too.

Okay, I've uploaded a new version (3.2) with the problem fixed. Glass was supposed to be Chemical Processing 2, not 3. Anyone experiencing this can just give themselves some free glass plates to get past that problem with the console, and it should work fine after that.

Luckily, 3.2 will be save game compatible, but everyone who started a game on 3.1 will need to use the console to do the work around.

Thanks for the bug report!

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

pib, an even better way of dealing with the glass issue, brought up by arghhhh40k in the reddit thread:

/c game.player.force.technologies['chemical-processing-2'].researched=false

That will unresearch chemical processing 2. If you have the 3.2 version installed, and re-research chemical processing 2, you'll be able to make glass and proceed normally.

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

Saw the you tube video from Tjalmann. He mentions that he is using the challenge mode, no hand crafting. When I click on the mod in the game start it says a challenge mode is available, but I have no idea now to toggle it on.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

If you unzip the .zip file in first post, there is a file labeled 'config'. Set challengemode = true, save it, and then load the game.

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

damienreave wrote:If you unzip the .zip file in first post, there is a file labeled 'config'. Set challengemode = true, save it, and then load the game.
Thank you. It would be nice to have the option on the map generation page, like the peace option. It's a bit of a bother to unzip it since mods are normally left zipped now. Anyway, going to give this thing a try. Thanks for all your work.

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

I see some changes in just the few days since the video was made and today. Tjalmann was able to research Military from the start. So far I have researched "Tin and Lead Processing", "Extraction Technology", "Chemical Processing 1" and Chemical Processing 2", and I am finally able to research Military.

Also, not sure if it's a bug but I've noticed a few things with Chemical Processing. When Chemical Processing 1 was yet to be discovered, I noticed no Chem Pro 2 in the table (there was a CP3 in the table). After I researched 1, CP2 showed up on the table. Now that I've researched both 1 and 2, neither shows up at the bottom of the table as a completed research.

Edit: I notice that I've also researched "Automation", it also does not appear at the bottom as a completed research.

Kinda scary that it takes so much to discover Military, and when I do, it looks like I'll need to build more to process chemicals to make charcoal and Potassium Nitrate for the ammo, while Tjalmann was able to make some ammo out of iron and copper.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

Tjalmann is playing on 2.5, you're playing on 3.1, where the military items have all had their recipes made more realistic (and therefore more complex). Bullets aren't much use without gunpowder after all.

I highly recommend giving yourself easier starting settings, at a minimum using a larger starting area, so that you have time to tech up and set up automated defenses before pollution starts hitting the biter colonies.

As for the thing with techs... thanks. I never really noticed before, but now I'm pretty sure I know what causes this. In the LUA code you can flag a tech as an 'upgrade' or not, but since the game isn't really documented, I wasn't sure what this did, so I applied it inconsistently. It sounds like a tech being an 'upgrade' removes the previous tech from the display. I'll try and apply this to give consistency in the next release.

Also, I just realized from my own playthrough that cracking light oil down to petroleum gives you regular petroleum, when it should be giving you untreated petroleum, so you can get sulfur out of it. Its not game breaking by any means, but I'm noting it for fixing later.

EurypteriD
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EurypteriD »

damienreave wrote:Tjalmann is playing on 2.5, you're playing on 3.1, where the military items have all had their recipes made more realistic (and therefore more complex). Bullets aren't much use without gunpowder after all.

I highly recommend giving yourself easier starting settings, at a minimum using a larger starting area, so that you have time to tech up and set up automated defenses before pollution starts hitting the biter colonies.

As for the thing with techs... thanks. I never really noticed before, but now I'm pretty sure I know what causes this. In the LUA code you can flag a tech as an 'upgrade' or not, but since the game isn't really documented, I wasn't sure what this did, so I applied it inconsistently. It sounds like a tech being an 'upgrade' removes the previous tech from the display. I'll try and apply this to give consistency in the next release.

Also, I just realized from my own playthrough that cracking light oil down to petroleum gives you regular petroleum, when it should be giving you untreated petroleum, so you can get sulfur out of it. Its not game breaking by any means, but I'm noting it for fixing later.
I'm taking Damien s suggestion and rerunning up to where i am currently off cam and going on with the research from there. As soon im up there i will post a new vid. Thanks for the continued work!
Let's Play Youtube Channel

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

Managed to figure out how to make bullets for my rifle. Got that process up, but unfortunately had to build a second Steam Generator to handle the load of the Charcoal producer. I've been really trying to keep small with only one generator until I get more defenses up. Right now, plan to stop expanding, and hope to make enough bullets so that I can search for any nearby nests and take them out before they mutate. Going to see if I can make a few turrets while I make more bullets. Hope they use the same ammo as the rifle. I started with all default settings.

damienreave
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damienreave »

You're a brave man! Let me know how you find the difficulty. I've always used larger starting areas.

The turrets do use the same ammo as the rifle.

Looking forward to the next vids, Tjalmann.

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

Not brave, just ignorant. My plan to take out the first biter nest was impossible as I spotted worms, and I could not kill them. So, I needed defense. I learned now to make cement and started building walls and turrets. I'm not completely surrounded by walls yet, my area is too big, but I do have walls between me and the only nest I know about. Still keeping small, only 2 Steam Generators, but they are occasionally over loaded, as those extractors for the clay and limestone plus the Chemical plants take lots of power. Got my one data downloader going non-stop, and finally see the path to discover the techs needed for green science. I gotta take another look at my area, continue learning all red science only techs, and figure out how to completely redesign everything so I can make both red and green. Planning to up power to 4 generators shortly. It's a race between my discovery of more military techs so I can take out those worms, and how fast the aliens mutate. Should I build big? Discover faster, but then the aliens start attacking and mutating faster because of the pollution? Or try to stay smaller to slow down when they will attack and mutate? I'll probably try to keep it at 4 Generators for as long as I can but NARMod makes it very very hard to stay small, especially with the challenge active.

Oh, I think that upgrade flag in the techs would be for techs such as bullet speed/ damage etc. where you have multiple techs all with the same name that just increment something. You don't want the tech tree littered with all those techs. You probably want Chem Processing 1,2 etc. not marked as such as they allow different buildings/materials to be made, so the user may need to recheck the tree to see what is allowed by each of those techs.

Woode
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Woode »

This is absolutely crazy. I have:

5 electric miners
3 stone furnaces
1 treefarm w/ burner assember
3 chemical factories
1 metal mixing furnace
8 assemblers
2 extractors

All to make green data. And I have no idea which machines will be idle, and which will require a another to keep the last assembler going somewhere near capacity.

Oh, and I've ignored the steel production required.

I love it, but if anyone tries this without careful advanced planning, there is no way. No designing on the fly for this thing.

My other improvements so far have been splitter and underground belts added to my factory producing line, as I'm going to need them. I've also expanded to 4 Generators, hope they can take the load.

Return to “Mods”