[MOD 1.1] "minime" is now "miniMAXIme"

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[MOD 1.1] "minime" is now "miniMAXIme"

Post by Pi-C »

Why a new name?
About three years ago, DellAquila created "minime - More accurate player size compared to vehicles", a mod to make characters smaller. But for quite some time now, you can also use the mod to make your character much bigger. At some point, DellAquila made me the owner of that mod, and I believe I fixed some things. Then, in the summer of 2020, I've noticed a request on Gear Girl Character's board about making characters exchangeable, so players in multiplayer games could have different avatars. That gave me the idea to make the mod not only scale the characters, but let each player change their character directly in the game, without having to go back to the main menu or even to restart. I did, and it worked -- not perfectly, but it was a start. Then came Factorio 1.0 and I was so overwhelmed by all the mod fixing I had to do that I eventually gave up working on it. gungorenu made a fork to make it usable with Factorio 1.1 -- thanks a lot for keeping it alive! :-)

Now "minime" makes a reappearance, with a fresh GUI, some new features -- and a new name to celebrate the occasion! Instead of "minime - More accurate player size compared to vehicles" I'll call it now "miniMAXIme: Character scaler and selector". That's not too different from the old name and takes into account that you can also scale up your character to a ridiculous size.
So, what's new?
Weapon scaling
Before, when a character was scaled, the muzzle fire would be totally off. I now also scale the guns (position and attack parameters) that I assume are meant to be personal weapons. There is a way for modders to prevent miniMAXIme from scaling their gun prototypes (check out data.lua).

GUI:
Probably the most obvious change is the new GUI:
guis.png
guis.png (2.19 MiB) Viewed 2845 times
The character previews will adjust to the armor you are wearing, and if you have admin rights (you always do in singleplayer mode!), you can use the GUI to enter editor or god mode. Of course, if you've managed in some other way to be without a character, you can always return to character mode even if you're not an admin! You can also switch to another character while riding in a train, car, or other vehicle.

There is a new startup setting determining how returning to character mode will be handled: You can either return to the position of your old character, or let your old character come to your new position. This also works when you've moved to another surface while you were in editor or god mode.

Corpse preservation
Suppose your character died, you've saved the game and quit for the time being. Next time you play, you've removed the mod that provided the character you've used last. The character isn't available anymore, and your corpse is gone as well -- with all the expensive equipment you carried around! Of course, you could quit again, add the removed mod again, restart and load your game again, change to another character, save, remove the mod once more, restart and load. Now there's no need to do that anymore!

When your character dies, miniMAXIme will keep track of the corpse and its inventory. When a game is loaded and a corpse prototype isn't available anymore, miniMAXIme will replace the removed corpses with generic ones that carry everything which hasn't been picked up yet by you or somebody else. The generic corpse will expire just like any other: either on the tick the removed corpse would have decomposed, or when everything has been removed from its inventory.
Compatibility:
Most of the changes are not really visible, but striving for compatibility with other mods is important nevertheless. Naturally, miniMAXIme works with all character mods that I know of (check out the screenshot above!). In addition, it has support for the following mods:
  • Jetpack: When you change to another character, your flying state will persist.Thanks to Earendel for adding some code I've asked for!
  • Bob's Character classes: Change your appearance while retaining your class attributes! This doesn't work yet. Bob has promised to implement some changes I've provided, but it will take a while or two until he can get it done. Anyway, everything is ready for it on my end! (EDIT: As of version 1.1.5, Bob's Character Classes and miniMAXIme are compatible with each other.)
  • First One's Free: miniMAXIme will notice when a character's main inventory is resized. Thanks to DedlySpyder for adding the remote call!
  • InfiniteInventory: Same as above (it's a fork of "First One's Free"), except Qon didn't have the time yet to make the necessary changes. But he promised to do so, so just be patient … Qon just released an update to add compatibiliy. Thanks a lot for that!
  • RPG System If you level up, miniMAXIme will take note and keep track of the changed character properties.
  • GUI Unifyer: Thanks a lot to snouz for explaining how to make my GUI work with it!
  • The Ruins Mod: No ruins will be placed on the surfaces created on the sly by miniMAXIme. Thanks to Bilka for adding the requested interface function such a long time ago! :-D
Credits
There are too many people who've helped me in some way or another than I could mention. But I'm especially grateful to eradicator for fruitful discussions on how character selector mods should work, what properties must be copied, etc. He's also taught me some tricks that proved to be really useful. Unfortunately, he hasn't logged on since I started to work on this mod again …

TLDR
Check out this mod! I hope it will be useful. :-)
Last edited by Pi-C on Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 1.1] "minime" is now "miniMAXIme"

Post by Pi-C »

Version 1.1.3 has just been released. Summary of the changes since the last post:
  • Fixed several bugs
  • React to events raised when editor mode is toggled, so the GUI is kept in sync with players' controller type.
  • Make sure that the GUI is still in sync with players' controller type when no event was raised (checks are done when any GUI element is used, so there may be a delay).
  • Character selector will not be available if the mod is used in a game based on the Brave New World scenario. (This wouldn't make sense as players are supposed to play without a character in that scenario.)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've just uploaded version 1.1.9, for which I've completely reworked the GUI. The old GUI didn't look much different at first glance, but it wasn't fit for handling huge amounts of new characters, like provided by Genshin Impact Skin 原神皮肤. The new version is much better suited for using many characters because you'll only see a subset at a time -- which is cleaner and more efficient, as the hidden preview entities can be turned off, which should take some load off UPS. Here's a screenshot:
minime_gui_1.1.9.png
minime_gui_1.1.9.png (96.95 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
Happy Easter! :-)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Version 1.1.11 comes with another GUI where players can choose individually what characters they want to have on their character selector GUI. This is useful when mods provide not only the one or two new characters you want, but many more besides. I guess it would also make sense in multiplayer games: add all character mods, and let players decide who they want to be!
selector+enabler_gui.png
selector+enabler_gui.png (2.02 MiB) Viewed 2587 times

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Bob's Character classes has been updated yesterday. The new version (1.1.5) is compatible with miniMAXIme, so you can now have, for example, a Miner class character looking like Shrek, or a Builder class character looking like Gear Girl. Have a lot of fun with combining the mods! :D

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've just uploaded version 1.1.20. Since my last posting here, I've fixed several bugs, added optional dependencies on two new character mods (The Wickerbeast and Niko Character), and improved compatibility with SE.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Main change for 1.1.21: When a player changed characters while handcrafting stuff, crafting was cancelled without restoring the ingredients to the player's inventory. Now the crafting queue will be transferred to the new character.

Main change for 1.1.22: Added a requested setting to disable the characters' armor animations (disabled per default).

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Changes for 1.1.23
Screenshot

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

While I didn't update this thread in quite a while, this doesn't mean that I didn't update the mod! In fact, there've been 11 updates since my last post, most of them unspectacular bug fixes and just small changes under the hood:
Changes for 1.1.24 to 1.1.34, latest changes first
However, there have actually been visible changes. For one thing, the toggle button now has an icon instead of just text:
button.png
button.png (2.35 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
If you'd rather like to have a shortcut instead of a toggle button, this is possible now as well -- and of course, there also is a custom input (undefined per default):
shortcut.png
shortcut.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1144 times
In the latest version, I've added controller_key_sequence to the definition of the custom input, so it should be usable even with game controllers now (I don't have one, so I couldn't test this).

Return to “Mods”