[MOD 0.17] Deadlock's Crating Machine

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.16] Deadlock's Crating Machine

Post by Omnifarious »

Would you be willing to give someone else permissions to the mod pages for these mods?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Omnifarious wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:00 pm
Would you be willing to give someone else permissions to the mod pages for these mods?
Yes. shanemadden has the mod page permissions. He is interested in maintaining the other two mods, I don't know if he also has plans for this one. If not, and there is someone else that wants to maintain it or develop it further on the same mod portal page, they can get in touch; or they can set up a new mod portal entry as long as the adaptation is published under the same licence and gives credit etc. etc.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

I don't have any big plans for this mod as opposed to the planned mod merge for Loaders/Beltboxes, but as long as the changes needed to maintain this mod don't turn into a major project due to API changes, I should be able to keep the version on the mod portal working with 0.17 and beyond.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

I may also be willing to help, though the time I have to devote to it is minimal. I don't really care about the loader or beltbox mods, and wouldn't be interested in helping with those.

tiptoetimmi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tiptoetimmi »

Great Mod, Thank You!!

New to Factorio Modding, wondering how to crate ammo? Any help would be appreciated.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

tiptoetimmi wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 pm
Great Mod, Thank You!!

New to Factorio Modding, wondering how to crate ammo? Any help would be appreciated.
These mods don't support ammo - it is a different class of item. Science packs are also another class. The mods would have to be re-written to support the various kinds of item prototype instead of only the main type. I did think about it but there wasn't an incentive to rehaul everything with ammo and science packs not really needing belt compression.

Loeffelmaster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Loeffelmaster »

Hi,

the machines working fine on something like glass. I get compressed glass and can decompress it without problems.
When I compress iron ore I get compressed iron ore. So far so good, but when I try to decompress it, the machine compresses the compressed iron ore to compressed densed iron ore. This I can decompress it to compressed iron ore, that's it.

I can't use it at all for my iron ore, because I'm stuck with the compressed iron ore I can't use it in any way.

How can I decompress my iron ore again, so that I can use it?

Yours

Loeffel

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Glass and "dense ore" are not part of vanilla Factorio. You must have some other third party mod installed.

Tairon96
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tairon96 »

Hi Deadlock,

I really like your mod. It gives stacking a touch of realism. As a side effect there is a small extra puzzle for logistic lovers like me : Do not squeeze too many crates into the system or you might get a deadlock in your material flow ;)

*sigh* I also like your inline stacking belt boxes, although I don't use them due to the fact they simplify the logistic system too much for my taste.

*sigh* *sigh* ... There is only ONE ( maybe one and a half ) thing I don't like so much : The crating process is a bit too hungry for space. Why don't you combine the benefits of your stacking belt boxes ( small footprint ) with the fun to puzzle with crates ?

I am thinking of a crating machine of the size of 1 x 2 tiles. If someone uses the longer side for the belt connection between boxing and unboxing, this fits perfectly for the bi-directional belt layout. As a side effect the unboxing process would be closer possible to the assembly machines.

This is how it could look like ...

Perhaps you could add a 1x1 incinerator as a overflow vent for too many crates ? In the example, at the position marked with a (x) there could several crated lanes be placed next to each other ( a crated lane bus ), and there would be no need to return the crates.

Just a thought. Anyway, I love your work !
Radar : Damnit, we are surrounded! :o
Artillery : Great, now I can attack in every direction! :D
_
languages

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Hi Tairon96,

Thanks for the compliments. Sorry it has taken a while to reply, but I am not currently maintaining these mods - I've gone back to university and there's just no time at the moment.

shanemadden is now the modder-in-charge for the Stacking Beltbox and Compact Loader mods and is a kind of caretaker for this one as well, but I don't think this one will ever be substantially updated, unless someone with a bit of experience wants to volunteer.

Your suggestions are all possible. This crating mod was my first ever Factorio mod and I had no idea how to create new entities or graphics back then. I only picked up those skills later, making the beltbox and loader mods.

Cheers.

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

Will someone be updating this one to 0.17 as well? :-)

I won't use the stacking beltboxes. Too easy.

shanemadden
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by shanemadden »

0.17 update posted, let me know if there are any issues!

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

shanemadden wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:23 pm
0.17 update posted, let me know if there are any issues!
I shall. It may take me awhile, since I have to commit to completely redoing the science for the save I'm using it on, or start a brand new save with it. But I noticed. Thank you!

tanuki_san
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by tanuki_san »

If it works as furnace type entity like stacking machines, it'll works very well(especially for unpacking).
If you think furnace type is not suitable for packing, i suggest to add alternative version entity only for unpacking.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

tanuki_san wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:08 am
If it works as furnace type entity like stacking machines, it'll works very well(especially for unpacking).
If you think furnace type is not suitable for packing, i suggest to add alternative version entity only for unpacking.
Furnace recipes can only have one input ingredient (except fluids) so it cannot work for packing. I didn't want to have the asymmetry of assembler-type for packing and furnace-type for unpacking.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:01 am
tanuki_san wrote:
Furnace recipes can only have one input ingredient (except fluids) so it cannot work for packing. I didn't want to have the asymmetry of assembler-type for packing and furnace-type for unpacking.
How about a burner furnace that only accepts wooden chests as fuel? Or isn't it possible to limit the solid fuel a furnace can take?

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

tanuki_san wrote:
What would the advantage of using a furnace entity be?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Deadlock's Crating Machine

Post by Deadlock989 »

Omnifarious wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:40 am
What would the advantage of using a furnace entity be?
You wouldn't have to set a recipe.
mrvn wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am
How about a burner furnace that only accepts wooden chests as fuel? Or isn't it possible to limit the solid fuel a furnace can take?
I have no idea if you can limit fuel types - off the top of my head, I don't think so - but even if so, it would effectively mean you are doing the work for free (since you can recover the chest later when unpacking). Furnaces can be either electric or burner but not both.

This mod isn't going to change substantially, ever - shanemadden is maintaining it for compatibility with the DSB API and I might add some unique graphics to it one day but that's likely it. Reminds me - the icon for wooden chests updated, I'll get around to updating the crates at some point.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Coming very soon to a factory near you ...

Omnifarious
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Omnifarious »

You're going to make the crating machines only take 2x2 and going to give them those fancy new graphics? That's pretty fanastic! Question though, are the loaders a part of the machine, or are they separate? I really hope they're separate. :-)

Return to “Mods”