[1.0] Sea Block Pack 0.4.10

Topics and discussion about specific mods
jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.16] Sea Block Pack 0.2.8

Post by jodokus31 »

Anhalter wrote:thanks guys! from my previous game i kinda was remembering that strand casting had some (little) yield bonus, but possibly either my math was or memory is wrong. Anyway, will now just go with plain casting until i get my rail network up and running. Then i guess, once i get to dedicated production blocks i will switch to strand casting (taking the city block aproach).
My main smelting uses strand casting where possible.
But I decided to create a block (with LTN railnetwork), which creates common intermediates like gears and bearing. And here I also provide plates here
That is good for low amount requests.
For high amount request, like circuits, I use the coils

Anhalter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anhalter »

jodokus31 wrote:
Anhalter wrote:thanks guys! from my previous game i kinda was remembering that strand casting had some (little) yield bonus, but possibly either my math was or memory is wrong. Anyway, will now just go with plain casting until i get my rail network up and running. Then i guess, once i get to dedicated production blocks i will switch to strand casting (taking the city block aproach).
My main smelting uses strand casting where possible.
But I decided to create a block (with LTN railnetwork), which creates common intermediates like gears and bearing. And here I also provide plates here
That is good for low amount requests.
For high amount request, like circuits, I use the coils
right now i'm at the point where my first geode processing plant is up-and-kinda-running. next step will be to switch out my iron-copper-steel-tin-lead production from slag produced sludge to geode produced sludge. then the next two steps will be a) to make a oil/plastic/resin production from blue algae and b) to build a production for the 2nd tier metals (aluminium, brass etc). Might need to throw in a little bit of energy production in between. After that i'm looking on a little bit of military science (need those sniper turrets) and starting to lay down my LTN network. Then, long run, i will start with the dedicated blocks (right now creating land is a bit limited by those stupid worms, not impossible, but slow)

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

There is one big bonus for solder wire coils, which I think is a bug.

Other than that you need the advanced recipes with cooling to get more than belt compression out of it.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Anhalter wrote: right now i'm at the point where my first geode processing plant is up-and-kinda-running. next step will be to switch out my iron-copper-steel-tin-lead production from slag produced sludge to geode produced sludge. then the next two steps will be a) to make a oil/plastic/resin production from blue algae and b) to build a production for the 2nd tier metals (aluminium, brass etc). Might need to throw in a little bit of energy production in between. After that i'm looking on a little bit of military science (need those sniper turrets) and starting to lay down my LTN network. Then, long run, i will start with the dedicated blocks (right now creating land is a bit limited by those stupid worms, not impossible, but slow)
Maybe some tips here:
- Its not crucial to get oil for plastic/resin. Methanol can be obtained from green algae. But you need a bit of alu/silver ore for the green catalysts to get resin started.
- The military science requires the next tier lab, which need advanced circuits. This was a big problem for me last time. Maybe it has been changed since then. There is also an option in ScienceCostTweaker to change that.
- The worms are tough with only gun turret mk2 or car. I have developed a strategy to run in while spamming turrets. The first turrets placed are targeted and may die, but I insert the ammo to other ones, because ammo is the real expensive stuff. I also tried with car drive-by action, but its very fragile. (BTW: I have artillery now, which is kind of easy :P)

Anhalter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anhalter »

jodokus31 wrote:
Anhalter wrote: right now i'm at the point where my first geode processing plant is up-and-kinda-running. next step will be to switch out my iron-copper-steel-tin-lead production from slag produced sludge to geode produced sludge. then the next two steps will be a) to make a oil/plastic/resin production from blue algae and b) to build a production for the 2nd tier metals (aluminium, brass etc). Might need to throw in a little bit of energy production in between. After that i'm looking on a little bit of military science (need those sniper turrets) and starting to lay down my LTN network. Then, long run, i will start with the dedicated blocks (right now creating land is a bit limited by those stupid worms, not impossible, but slow)
Maybe some tips here:
- Its not crucial to get oil for plastic/resin. Methanol can be obtained from green algae. But you need a bit of alu/silver ore for the green catalysts to get resin started.
- The military science requires the next tier lab, which need advanced circuits. This was a big problem for me last time. Maybe it has been changed since then. There is also an option in ScienceCostTweaker to change that.
- The worms are tough with only gun turret mk2 or car. I have developed a strategy to run in while spamming turrets. The first turrets placed are targeted and may die, but I insert the ammo to other ones, because ammo is the real expensive stuff. I also tried with car drive-by action, but its very fragile. (BTW: I have artillery now, which is kind of easy :P)
Thanks for the tips, will definately look into them.

Mil Science requires Adv. Circuis in any case, so yeah, i have to produce some of them anyways, so a few extra for 3rd tier labs shouldnt be to much of an issue. Unfortunatel the change in SCT can only be made at Start of the game, and i don't feel like starting again.I also have Autofill enabled which makes turretcreeping (with some losses) viable, but i want that sniper turrets anyway, even if i have to get to Adv. Circuits first. (sooner or later i have to do that anyways)

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

jodokus31 wrote: - The military science requires the next tier lab, which need advanced circuits. This was a big problem for me last time. Maybe it has been changed since then. There is also an option in ScienceCostTweaker to change that.
military by default requires blue lab, but yes, it can be changed to green lab.

i did that, because to me, getting military upgrades (that require military science) seemed too easy and you get them too early to just demolish any bitter nest in vicinity. i didn't want to mess with tech tree, so i just removed mil science pack from green lab

not everyone was happy with change, so i made it as toggle, with "harder" option as default.

Anhalter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anhalter »

i have to say, i kinda like that approach. i remember from my first try at seablock, that you could get sniper turret mk2 pretty fast, which made the worms kinda pointless (and tedious). now you have to at least work a little, or even some more, if you don't use (cheat) with autofill (like i do).

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Anhalter wrote:
jodokus31 wrote:
Maybe some tips here:
Thanks for the tips, will definately look into them.

Mil Science requires Adv. Circuis in any case, so yeah, i have to produce some of them anyways, so a few extra for 3rd tier labs shouldnt be to much of an issue. Unfortunatel the change in SCT can only be made at Start of the game, and i don't feel like starting again.I also have Autofill enabled which makes turretcreeping (with some losses) viable, but i want that sniper turrets anyway, even if i have to get to Adv. Circuits first. (sooner or later i have to do that anyways)
I think you can change it any time before you load your game.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

mexmer wrote:
jodokus31 wrote: - The military science requires the next tier lab, which need advanced circuits. This was a big problem for me last time. Maybe it has been changed since then. There is also an option in ScienceCostTweaker to change that.
military by default requires blue lab, but yes, it can be changed to green lab.

i did that, because to me, getting military upgrades (that require military science) seemed too easy and you get them too early to just demolish any bitter nest in vicinity. i didn't want to mess with tech tree, so i just removed mil science pack from green lab

not everyone was happy with change, so i made it as toggle, with "harder" option as default.
I really enjoyed the challenge :) I also decided to not use autofill and long reach, so it was a hard battle in the beginning :) I also managed to tackle down some giant worms. As I got the sniper turrets, it was far too easy, so I decided to use the tank instead and placing landfill while rushing into the worms. I can recommend to try it.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

My anti-worm strategy is to grenade them and it goes like this:
  • Make a stack of grenades, harvest a stack of fish and make a few turrets (about 4).
  • Run up to the worms while spamming turrets ahead of me to distract the worms (no ammo in them).
  • Spam grenades until the worms are dead.
  • Eat fish if I need to back off and come back for round two.
(Fish can probably be replaced by more turrets to distract the worms for longer)

orbadon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by orbadon »

BlakeMW wrote:
  • Eat fish if I need to back off and come back for round two.
I just kept eating fish while shooting worms with the machine gun until I got sniper turrets. I would easily go through 20+ fish for a medium nest :oops:

talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by talchas »

Hmm, maybe I just got lucky (or was more willing to make a small base planning to rip it up later), but I didn't feel particularly cramped before I was getting even purple science, much less blue and military, so I just picked up a sniper rifle and shot them.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

There were some nests of ~20 small or medium worms where I wanted to expand my base, I mean sure, I could've expanded in another direction, but that would've wounded my pride.

Anhalter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Anhalter »

talchas wrote:Hmm, maybe I just got lucky (or was more willing to make a small base planning to rip it up later), but I didn't feel particularly cramped before I was getting even purple science, much less blue and military, so I just picked up a sniper rifle and shot them.
i'd suspect you dont use "city blocks". i find that this particular approach takes more space, but scales better in mid-late game.

Redstylt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Redstylt »

Hello
I have two questions :?:
:arrow: Why KS_power AND Bobpower ?

:arrow: Can we add cargoship mod ? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cargo-ships Could be so much funny to explore and move between islands with ships (or helicopter with Helicopter mod)
Just a big fan of Factorio and all its mods

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Redstylt wrote:Hello
I have two questions :?:
:arrow: Why KS_power AND Bobpower ?

:arrow: Can we add cargoship mod ? https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cargo-ships Could be so much funny to explore and move between islands with ships (or helicopter with Helicopter mod)
I think, KS_Power adds the wind turbines, which are needed for early game. And bobs power for the next tiers of steam engines, which are nice to escape the minimal energy yield of mk1 steam.

You can add any mod you like, but it could break the game (i don't think, that cargo ships or helicopter would break anything.) Its also a matter of what QoL mods / "cheats" do you want to use ;) F.e. I added nanobots, LTN and others.

reinss
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by reinss »

reinss wrote:Still get error "Failed to load mods: _ _ SeaBlock _ _ /data-final-fixes.lua:50: wrong number of arguments to 'insert'
Version 0.2.9 fixes this error, but got new one -
"Failed to load mods: _ _ SeaBlock _ _ /data-final-fixes.lua:65 attempt to index field 'normal' (a nil value)

Zegnat
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Zegnat »

I have been enjoying this, especially as I hadn’t played Angels/Bobs previously and the limited resources of Sea Block make for a somewhat OK introduction (though I feel like the progression could be made much clearer in the tech tree). Just transitioned into green science to really open up possibilities, but this took me a long time. Mostly because of power generation.

So I wonder, now that I can’t spoil progression for myself any more: how do people generate power during a red science phase?

As solar was unavailable, I mostly spammed wind turbines all over the place. By the time I had an algae setup that actually produced wood pellets at some sort of constant rate, I couldn’t figure out how burning those would ever pay back just the energy cost of production. Maybe I need another good sit down with Excel, but will also be interested in hearing how other people tacked early power.

ukezi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ukezi »

from the alge->charcoal process you get about 60% more power out then you put in. 100%, if you use charcoalpellets(+20% fuel with near zero power requirements). That is what I used at the start. With blue tech there is the alge->syngas-solidfuel way. That has like 5x yield. Also there is the farming fuel-oil->enriched block. that gives about 20MW per MW input.
A good way to go with red and green is to go make geodes and crush them. there is enough additional mineral water to drive 12 alge farms from 20 washing plants making geodes.
However you have to be sure to overbuild power. If you run dry, your power production slows down and the downwards spiral begins.

talchas
Inserter
Inserter

Post by talchas »

And outside of that, there's also the tree arboretum path; there should be a tree within easy range early on, which is enough for like 4 arboretums or something, which is then several megawatts, for way less input power, space, and pain than algae. I never made extra wind turbines, just placed the ones you start with.

And yeah, before you get circuit network, you need to be careful that you always have >100% of demand (and wind turbines fluctuate), or else your power generation starts dropping and you spiral down. (Afterwards, you just need to make sure that you don't accidentally screw up and connect your factory to your power generation without going through the power switch; preferably don't do that like three times <.<).

Return to “Mods”