Good way to spread the game

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
JayS
Inserter
Inserter

Good way to spread the game

Post by JayS »

Play the game at school during your study or free period. People will come by and be interested, and maybe they'll look up the game and buy it! For me, it got quite a few people interested and they probably looked into the game.
Don't look now, but there is a spider behind you.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Good way to spread the game

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

I can not do that :(

I have a desktop and carring this around needs also to carry an electricity generator my both screens and the massive rig around. Not very suitable :).

And NO, I have no mobile, tablet, iphone, netbook .... all I have is my desktop and a 60" flat-tv :)

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Phillip_Lynx wrote:I can not do that :(

I have a desktop and carring this around needs also to carry an electricity generator my both screens and the massive rig around. Not very suitable :).

And NO, I have no mobile, tablet, iphone, netbook .... all I have is my desktop and a 60" flat-tv :)
I must ask... Just how epic is it playing Factorio on a 60" TV? :D
Image Image Image

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

Xterminator wrote:

I must ask... Just how epic is it playing Factorio on a 60" TV? :D
I have to attach my rig to the tv before I can answer the question. But this would be a reason to do this one time :)

Rakshasa
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rakshasa »

Xterminator wrote:I must ask... Just how epic is it playing Factorio on a 60" TV? :D
I can confirm that it is awesome.

t33
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by t33 »

I definately have to try this out, I am pretty sure this will be awesome like the game is! :D

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Just incase this isn't just humorous, you should know that the zip downloads are completely portable, meaning you can run it from a flash drive/USB stick if you wanted.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

n9103 wrote:

Just incase this isn't just humorous, you should know that the zip downloads are completely portable, meaning you can run it from a flash drive/USB stick if you wanted.
It is not *just* humorous (but phrased so :)).
The problem is not to take the game around in an USB-Drive (wich I have) but with a device on wich I can play it. And since I have no Tablet or anything portable playing device so i can not do this :
JayS wrote:Play the game at school during your study or free period. People will come by and be interested, and maybe they'll look up the game and buy it! For me, it got quite a few people interested and they probably looked into the game.
And the computers on my work are not allowed (technical) to use USB-Devices wich are not from the company. And these are checked frequently. And it is not allowed to have executables on it.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Ah, corporate, well there are problems there. Can't help you without possibly endangering your job.

If you're not phased by that, there are a few ways to combat this.
First is just renaming the .exe's to something else. I tend to use .bak or .cop
Second is keeping the zip password protected. Almost all scanners will default-safe/cancel on password requirements.
Third would be some sort of remote connection setup. Teamviewer is useful enough for this. There are other hurdles with the processes, but they're different ones, and not all companies treat all hurdles the same.
Lastly, and most extreme, would to make a bootable disk (USB or CD) for booting into a temporary OS to run Factorio from. Most computers, even in corporate environments aren't protected from booting from disk, since it's the most reliable way of getting a system to run if it can't be recovered. Even environments that prohibit the use of exes and other hefty user restrictions will often forget/decide not to lock down the bootable device. The extremeness of this option comes fro the fact that a) your screen would almost always look distinctly different from what anyone else could possibly have on theirs. b) you will need to know a lot of the hardware specifics in order to get your bootable working well enough to use factorio. c) there would likely be some sort of trouble/alert code thrown because the computer is running, but the monitoring software isn't, assuming they do any level of active monitoring. d)getting caught doing this all but guarantees a full understanding of your actions, thereby making you fully accountable for your actions, as opposed to the others, which could just be a newbie trying to make the computer work.

Alternatively, and of practically no risk, you could buy a copy of Factorio, stick it on a geeky flash drive, and give it to someone in your IT department that isn't a grunt.

The final option is the most likely to succeed, but also the most likely to fail disastrously. The last is the least likely to succeed, most likely to put your name on a list (although not a bad one, it means a shorter list for future mysterious problems.) And the rest are moderately safe, with a moderate chance of ending up on a bad list, but unlikely to be terminated, etc.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

n9103 wrote:Ah, corporate, well there are problems there. Can't help you without possibly endangering your job.

If you're not phased by that, there are a few ways to combat this.
First is just renaming the .exe's to something else. I tend to use .bak or .cop
Second is keeping the zip password protected. Almost all scanners will default-safe/cancel on password requirements.
Third would be some sort of remote connection setup. Teamviewer is useful enough for this. There are other hurdles with the processes, but they're different ones, and not all companies treat all hurdles the same.
Lastly, and most extreme, would to make a bootable disk (USB or CD) for booting into a temporary OS to run Factorio from. Most computers, even in corporate environments aren't protected from booting from disk, since it's the most reliable way of getting a system to run if it can't be recovered. Even environments that prohibit the use of exes and other hefty user restrictions will often forget/decide not to lock down the bootable device. The extremeness of this option comes fro the fact that a) your screen would almost always look distinctly different from what anyone else could possibly have on theirs. b) you will need to know a lot of the hardware specifics in order to get your bootable working well enough to use factorio. c) there would likely be some sort of trouble/alert code thrown because the computer is running, but the monitoring software isn't, assuming they do any level of active monitoring. d)getting caught doing this all but guarantees a full understanding of your actions, thereby making you fully accountable for your actions, as opposed to the others, which could just be a newbie trying to make the computer work.

Alternatively, and of practically no risk, you could buy a copy of Factorio, stick it on a geeky flash drive, and give it to someone in your IT department that isn't a grunt.

The final option is the most likely to succeed, but also the most likely to fail disastrously. The last is the least likely to succeed, most likely to put your name on a list (although not a bad one, it means a shorter list for future mysterious problems.) And the rest are moderately safe, with a moderate chance of ending up on a bad list, but unlikely to be terminated, etc.
:D ...
I know all this since I work in a computer relatead company (hardware, software and programming). And sure there are ways to get around this. But if I cought in such things I have to search for a new job :). And with an wife, 4 Kids and an unpaid house this would be very inconvincible moneywise ... aaaaannnnddd if I get *not* cought this would be contraindictive to the OPs intension to spread the word, since no one have to see me play :)

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Yea, I'm not surprised, and I know I went overboard, but I was in a hypothesizing mood :P

Return to “Spread the Word”