Demo Version?

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
ChoMar
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Demo Version?

Post by ChoMar »

Does the Demo Version work with Multiplayer or is there an option for a Demo Server?
The reason im asking: I love this game, but some of my friends so far have been hard to convince to spend money on it - mostly due to the fact that the graphics look old.
I think the Gameplay would convince them, but id need MP for that.
Mytronix Entertainment

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Demo Version?

Post by daniel34 »

No, the demo version is singleplayer only and afaik there are no plans to change that.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

They should probably update the demo so that it shows off all of the new features, but it only will run for a week or so before deleting itself.
It would leave in it's place a stamp of sorts that will not allow that computer to download the demo again, therefore preventing people from beating the system.
Is this a good idea?
The current demo is a little outdated.
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

olafthecat wrote:They should probably update the demo so that it shows off all of the new features, but it only will run for a week or so before deleting itself.
It would leave in it's place a stamp of sorts that will not allow that computer to download the demo again, therefore preventing people from beating the system.
Is this a good idea?
The current demo is a little outdated.
The speedrun record for Factorio is just under 2 hours. Assuming, with 0.15 it takes longer and someone isn't the best in the world at it, perhaps they can do it in 4. That's 42 games of Factorio, free!

;)

Also:
These is no way to prevent someone from playing the game again, if they have enough knowledge of computers or someone posts it on the forums or somewhere online. Continuing a save from a previous run might be a lot more difficult, but you can still play a game for a whole week. I think the demo is fine. I sunk at least 15 hours into it - simply don't build the radar on the last level. It's an interesting challenge with no underneathies or splitters. I might know of a way to get multiplayer going with only one account, but it would be a pain to make it work, I don't know how well it would work, and I'm not going to tell you because I don't feel like being that mean to the devs.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

olafthecat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by olafthecat »

Yeah I see what you mean...
Doesn't matter though, I gave it a shot :)
Gonna start playing again with 0.16 build.
That's all.

Return to “Spread the Word”