cppcast.com

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
jackack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

cppcast.com

Post by jackack »

I didn't find out for sure but I saw a few hints that Factorio is at least partly written in C++.
If that's the case, what do the developers think about talking about Factorio on cppcast.com?
I'd be very much interested in what the devs have to say about C++ game development. And due to the nature of the game, programmers are also very likely to be interested in the game itself as well, which is why I put this suggestion into the promotion sub-forum.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: cppcast.com

Post by kovarex »

jackack wrote:I didn't find out for sure but I saw a few hints that Factorio is at least partly written in C++.?
Yes, Factorio is written in C++.
jackack wrote: If that's the case, what do the developers think about talking about Factorio on cppcast.com?
I'd be very much interested in what the devs have to say about C++ game development. And due to the nature of the game, programmers are also very likely to be interested in the game itself as well, which is why I put this suggestion into the promotion sub-forum.
That sounds interesting, but:
  • I'm afraid that Factorio is not that interesting from the C++ point of view, some of the parts that are related to optimisations and threading are more technical, but the solutions are not so C++ specific I guess.
  • If I talked about C++ I would probably just rant. (I mean, big projects still compile ages because we use these textually based includes from many decades ago., boost being a trap, std being a compile time trap etc.)
  • My spoken English has very annoying Czech accent and I make many mistakes. (Rseding91 is from US, but I don't know if he would like to talk)

jackack
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: cppcast.com

Post by jackack »

Alright, thanks for being frank about this.
Anyhow, despite all the hurdles you mentioned, you still manage make a great product!
Maybe though, your strategy in dealing with these every-day issues would be interesting to hear and talk about as well. It would certainly be more relevant to the average dev dealing with an existing code base than hearing about an interesting but less relevant new library that makes use of C++17 features.

But I understand if this doesn't change your mind. I carried the thought of mentioning this for quite a while and now I got it out finally, so I'm fine.

Return to “Spread the Word”