Factorio on Index.hu

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
Hamster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Factorio on Index.hu

Post by Hamster »

Here it is: http://index.hu/tech/godmode/2016/05/20 ... ly-access/

It's a positive, funny review. :)

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Factorio on Index.hu

Post by Gergely »

Hát ez a ".hu" eléggé elijeszthet bárkit. Miért írtad angolul ha úgy is egyértelmű hogy nekik nem használ?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Gergely wrote:Hát ez a ".hu" eléggé elijeszthet bárkit. Miért írtad angolul ha úgy is egyértelmű hogy nekik nem használ?
Translation wrote:Well, this is the ".com" quite frightened anyone. Why did you write in English if it is clear that they are not using?
Because the language in this forum is English, as per the Forum Rules. You are only allowed post in your native language if you add an English translation in the same post or one of the mentioned exceptions applies.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

I know many boards use this rule, but im not quite sure why.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

nuhll wrote:I know many boards use this rule, but im not quite sure why.
Because it's an international forum and it's extremely annoying to have to copy posts to google translate if you don't understand them. Almost everyone can read english, so that makes it easier...

nuhll
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nuhll »

Yes, you are right. But anyway would be easy fixed by integrating google translate into forum ;)

Like this you can even auto translate all posts into the language of the visitor.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

nuhll wrote:Yes, you are right. But anyway would be easy fixed by integrating google translate into forum ;)

Like this you can even auto translate all posts into the language of the visitor.
That's a good idea! Unfortunately google translate often results in complete garbage, and if people write their posts in english (even if it's not their first language) it will be more legible.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gergely »

daniel34 wrote:
Gergely wrote:Hát ez a ".hu" eléggé elijeszthet bárkit. Miért írtad angolul ha úgy is egyértelmű hogy nekik nem használ?
Translation wrote:Well, this is the ".com" quite frightened anyone. Why did you write in English if it is clear that they are not using?
Because the language in this forum is English, as per the Forum Rules. You are only allowed post in your native language if you add an English translation in the same post or one of the mentioned exceptions applies.
This is Google Translate. Too bad, the Translation sounds way different than the actual text I wrote.

I rate this Translation 10! ...out of 100!

"frightened"... wow! Where did that one came from? (Obviously translated from "elijeszther") It's too much! I haven't said that this topic is that bad!

Next time I write a text in my native language (Which is too complex for Google Translate anyway) I will double check how it translates because I don't want Google Translate to mess it up for me again.

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Pollution was never been that fun

Post by Gergely »

Translation? Anyone?
Pollution was never been that fun

“In an advanced stage of the game, you will become a good engineer.”
This was the sentence in Factorio's Trailer that made me feel that this game is worth trying out. I always wanted to be a good engineer.

Factorio starts on an alien planet where our spaceship crashed. Luckily, this planet is full of all kinds of resources and we can create machines so quickly, that even Leonardo da Vinci and MacGycer would be shocked and huddled in the corner.

In the first minutes of the game, we must grab our pickaxe and manually mine a couple coal and iron ore, and put them in a handmade stone furnace, and we already got a few iron plates.If we have iron plates, we can make a burner mining drill, and say goodbye to manual mining. From then, we only have to make sure that there is always enough coal in the mining drill. At one point, the coal transportation gets sticky, so it's time to build out first transport belt, which moves the mined coal and automatically inserts it into the mining drills and furnaces.

And then our creature, this smoke spitting creature consisting of machines begins to evolve and grow. Because in the game, everything we can do by hand, can also be automated. We can build factories that make transport belts, robot hands, furnaces, mining drills, and even other factories.

First, it's worth replacing the burner mining drills with electric ones which are easier to manipulate. But to do so, we need to generate electricity which can be done with steam engines. If we can connect electricity everywhere, the factory becomes much more efficient and systematic.

And then it turns out that this planet is not uninhabited, instead all kinds of mucoid and hideous creatures live here who especially hate if someone fills up their homeland with noisy and stinking metal monsters. We could call them aliens if technically not we were the aliens. These aggressive natives attack anything that pollutes the environment. Initially, it is possible to hold them back with our pistol, but just like anything else in this game, it is more appropriate to automate. We just build some gun turrets, and build a wall in front of them, and they'll protect us from the bugs. We just have to make sure they never run out of ammunition. And if manually inserting ammunition into them is boring, we simply put down a line of transport belts from the ammunition factories to the gun turrets. Or replace them with laser turrets and then we don't need to produce any ammunition at all. 

Initially, we don't have access to laser turrets, this technology -just like any other- must be researched in the labs. The labs must be provided with "science packs" and building the automated assembly of those is the first main task in the game. Nobody tells us this, we have to slowly figure out by ourselves that making them by hand is boring. Factorio helps by telling us what new Items can we assemble after researching each technology, what ingredients are required for them, and even the time required to assemble them. This information is great to properly build our factory. Logistics is one of the challenges of the game: Figuring out how much we need from each ingredient to provide the assembly machines properly.

It's worth watching the pollution however, which the game shows red on the map. If we pollute a bug colony with all kinds of smoke, they get angry and we also help their evolution with that. Stronger and Stronger monsters must be repelled off the walls. It is appropriate to switch from the steam engines to less polluting solar panels as soon as possible.

The next challenge comes when the starting area runs out of iron, copper or coal. Then, we need to conquer another ore deposit from the indigenous creatures. If it's too far for transport belts, we can build railway tracks and transport the ores with trains. Of course, automated. Later, we can use flying drones for transportation. Transport Belts, Trains, and Logistic Drones all have their advantages and disadvantages, but I don't want to spoil them because in the game, the main enjoyment is figuring out similar cases.

I was figuring out one of these puzzles filling the second paper with all kinds of flow charts when I noticed that this game sneakily teaches me. I started to know what I must pay attention to when building a new part of my Factory, to find the most balanced setup. I replaced the transport belt spaghettis I built in the start of the game with new, simpler and better looking solutions. These questions are classic engineering problems, and very similar to real problems one encounters as an engineer.

Sometimes, I stopped for a moment watching how the iron, and oil flows in the veins of the giant machine, how all the different machines work together, but then I noticed something tiny irritating mistake that I must fix. I must strengthen the defense of my factory, but I need more energy for that. building solar panels manually is too sticky. I would build some robots who build it automatically for me, but then I run out of oil because the train cars are filled with iron ore and there is no space for the full oil barrels to fit in. I change the train's schedule so that the oil barrels get to be inserted first, but then they attack my factory again, so I have to go and repair the defense... and so on, until we complete the main goal of the game, get a satellite up into space. But no one tells you that you must stop after your first rocker. People like me will going to have a hard time stopping playing this game.

Factorio is still in early access, but the game's most important parts are in place and work. I never ran into annoying bugs unless we consider indigenous bugs. I only felt that there is still things to fix in the game's combat controls, but maybe it is that the controls are more optimized to building machines by the developers in the first place. I have spent seventy carefree hours with Factorio, and bravely recommend it to anyone.
Please rate this translation!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pollution was never been that fun

Post by daniel34 »

Gergely wrote:Please rate this translation!
A good translation overall (thanks for that). My work includes (part-time) translating from and to English, so it's obvious to me that grammar, upper/lowercase and word choice show that it was translated from some eastern european (germanic) language, but as you wanted other people to rate your translation here are a few pointers:
Pollution was never been that fun!
Pollution has never been that funny
At one point, the coal transportation gets sticky, so it's time to build out first transport belt
I think he's referring to inserting coal by hand instead of using a transport belt. I'd recommend translating it as 'tedious', 'exhausting' or 'tiresome'.
I started to know what I must pay attention to when building a new part of my Factory
what I have to pay attention to, factory (lowercase f)
but then I noticed something tiny irritating mistake that I must fix.
It's some mistake, not something mistake, that I had to fix. (It's the same in german, if you want to keep the same meaning then Ich muss (i must) translates to I have to, because I must means you have to do that at all costs, which is not the case here)
building solar panels manually is too sticky
Same as above, it's too tedious, boring to do it manually
But no one tells you that you must stop after your first rocker.
have to, and rocket

Apart from that it's a pretty good translation but the word order / grammar is lacking. I didn't mention word order issues as they are present throughout the translation and most english-speaking people still understand what you mean.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Return to “Spread the Word”