Error 400: No file selected

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Error 400: No file selected

Post by Deadlock989 »

I'm trying to upload an update to a large mod (141 Mb) to the mod portal. When the file upload progress bar is complete, there is a medium-sized pause, followed by an error message I've never seen before:

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (52.12 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

My home broadband is ADSL with a very poor upload speed so it takes considerable time to upload this file - around ten minutes, and it often times out before the upload is complete. So I also tried three times on my mobile phone contract, blowing a significant chunk of my monthly allowance on it. I finally tried logging in to a remote university server that I have access to, downloading the uncompressed mod files from a GDrive backup to that computer, zipping them, and uploading them from there (which took seconds because it's on a very high capacity backbone). In all three cases I get this "Error 400" on completion. So that's three different machines/platforms/browsers/ISPs:

- Windows 10 Education, Chrome 89.0.4389.114
- Android, Bromite (Chrome fork)
- Windows Server 2019 via Citrix, Firefox 78.6.0

all with the same result.

I suspect that this message is trying to tell me there is something wrong with one of the zipped files. However the mod loads up and plays perfectly well in Factorio. The changelog was my first thought since that is well known to be extremely finicky, but it displays properly in-game and I can't find anything else wrong with its encoding. Only two or three other files have changed since the last upload, all LUA text files. The file is the same size or smaller than previous uploads.

If someone can tell me what this error really means, I can try and fix it. I can't attach the mod here for obvious reasons.
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Error 400: No file selected

Post by Deadlock989 »

I tried again this evening. Today the upload halts at roughly 80% of the progress bar, there is again a short pause, and then this:

Error: Unknown error (JS1). (code: 500)

If these are actually HTTP errors then 500 would be almost anything, but 400 (yesterday's error) might indicate that perhaps the file is too large (odd because it's actually smaller than some previous versions of the mod) or it's some other problem interpreting the stream from the client.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Today it has reverted to Error: No file selected (code: 400).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

You can try running pinga/pingo on the images from the mod to compress them more.
Might help if you are near the border of mod size and it's causing some silly errors.

It's available here: (windows only)
https://css-ig.net/pingo

And it seems to be doing slightly better job then PNG Gauntlet and is much faster.

Quick check on extreme compression in lossless mode shows that it can save about 10MB from mod size. It might help with mod portal :D

(I did some testing on it for work purposes and it seemed to be properly lossless)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

The maximum mod size is supposed to be 300 Mb so it's currently less than half of that and, likesay, it has been bigger in the past. The different error messages on different days isn't filling me with confidence that it's a problem at my end, either.

I will try running it through pingo overnight but I've now used up my 4G bandwidth for the month.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:37 pm
The maximum mod size is supposed to be 300 Mb so it's currently less than half of that and, likesay, it has been bigger in the past. The different error messages on different days isn't filling me with confidence that it's a problem at my end, either.

I will try running it through pingo overnight but I've now used up my 4G bandwidth for the month.
You shouldn't need overnight with pinga. Main benefit over PNG Gauntlet is that it's fast.
On extreme it did whole mod graphics in about minute and a half.

If you have mod shared somewhere we can try to temporarly play with mod collaborators on mod portal to see if I'll have better luck uploading it. If not, then well it's always a next month and we'll need to wait for the update due to mod portal being temperamental :D

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

Hey, I apologize for the disruption, we ran out of storage on this node quicker than I anticipated. I'm on the case and it should be fixed by tomorrow.
ovo

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

orzelek wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:50 pm
You shouldn't need overnight with pinga. Main benefit over PNG Gauntlet is that it's fast.
On extreme it did whole mod graphics in about minute and a half.
Yeah, it's at least an order of magnitude faster. I guess PNG Gauntlet does that "trial" thing where it compares different methods and that's where all the time goes. It does look like pingo is saving another 10 Mb or so, so around another 7% off. I'm a little suspicious about what it's doing and whether it's really lossless - the files with the most savings all seem to be monochrome or near-monochrome masks - so I'd like to check out the changes it's making first. But thanks for the tip and the offer of help.

Edited to add: checked that it really does seem to be lossless, I ran some difference comparisons and they came up all zeroes.
Sanqui wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:53 pm
Hey, I apologize for the disruption, we ran out of storage on this node quicker than I anticipated. I'm on the case and it should be fixed by tomorrow.
Thanks for looking into it. Would it help if I deleted some older versions of the mod? Otherwise I'll just wait until the weekend.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

The situation should be resolved -- please let me know if you are still having issues. No need to erase anything.

EDIT: Still looking into one more thing.
EDIT 2: Looks good to me.
ovo

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”