Mod licence issue

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Henry Loenwind
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Mod licence issue

Post by Henry Loenwind »

Why does the Mod Portal allow mod authors to publish mods that come with licences that restrict how the player can play the game? I would have expected it to be limited to source code licences and force mods to be governed under the same rules as the main game.

There really should be a warning dialog when installing such a mod to prevent users from breaking its licence terms unknowingly.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod licence issue

Post by jodokus31 »

It is what it is.
Can we just stop this topic here, please? It will just lead to unpleasant discussions.
The worst case, is that mod developers will delete their mods to not fall under too hard restrictions

Henry Loenwind
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Henry Loenwind »

jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 am
Can we just stop this topic here, please? It will just lead to unpleasant discussions.
I find players committing criminal copyright violations without intending to or being aware of more unpleasantness.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Henry Loenwind wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:19 am
jodokus31 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:00 am
I find players committing criminal copyright violations without intending to or being aware of more unpleasantness.
To my perception, its not the problem, that players violate the copyright without knowing, but they rather are worried about pursuance, if they do it with knowledge. I've never heard about a factorio mod, where it got that far. It honours those, who are respecting it, and i'm quite sure, its not a big deal if someone happens to violate the licence by accident.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:17 pm
License doesn't mean anything when it goes against our ToS:
By uploading a mod to the mod portal, you grant us the irrevocable right to reproduce, adapt and distribute the mod and its content as necessary to operate the mod portal and provide the service to our users.
https://factorio.com/terms-of-service

So the 'don't download this' is not correct, and will not be enforceable or anything
The mod author can delete the mod if they don't wish players to download it
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] I'll be watching this thread very closely. @OP : if your're discussing about one of the previous mod licensing topics, then discuss no further, all has been said in the previous discussions.

viewtopic.php?f=189&t=90532
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=69187&start=980 (thread is very long, but are discussions about licensing starting here : viewtopic.php?p=456595#p456595, viewtopic.php?p=462419#p462419, viewtopic.php?p=474387#p474387)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75414 (related to the above )
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”