Unable to login to Mod Portal

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

Unable to login to Mod Portal

Post by Tealc. »

Since the update to the website I have been unable to login to the Mod Portal.

I click on "Log In" in the upper right of the main Mod Portal landing page and am redirected to factorio.com to enter my credentials.

They appear to be accepted (ie. no error messages) and I am then directed back to the Mod Portal only for "Log In" to still be present in the upper right of the page.

If I go directly to factorio.com and login from there I am successful in logging in (ie. "Log In' is replaced with my user name). However when I switch to the Mod Portal using the navigation links from the upper left of the page I am no longer logged in on the Mod Portal (ie. "Log in" is showing again).

Additionally if I return back to factorio.com I have to log back in again despite never actually having logged out.

Obviously there are no issues with my account as I can login and post just fine here, its just the Mod Portal.

Would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Unable to login to Mod Portal

Post by Pi-C »

Same thing just happened to me. When I used the correct password on the mod portal, it was accepted but "Log in" still remained on top of the page. After using a wrong password deliberately, I've got a complaint "username and password don't match".
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Perhaps unrelated, but searching for a mod doesn't work anymore either! I searched for a particular mod, but just got a list of the most recently updated mods.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tealc. »

Indeed, search is broken here also.

Seems like there are many issues with the change of design. Not being able to log in though is most inconvenient!

Thinking the issue is not widespread I have tried deleting my cache etc to no avail.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Another observation: I was still logged in on my desktop computer, and everything works as expected there. But I still can't log in or search from my laptop, where I logged off some days ago.

Of course, I had to update my video driver before noticing these issues. Now I'd need to restart my computer before I can launch Factorio again, but if I do that, I won't be able to use the modportal because I'll probably be logged off … Catch-22! :-)

Tealc.
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tealc. »

I found that I was able to login using a second device suggesting the issue was with with my computer/browser etc.

I had previously deleted the cache of the browser but that wasn't enough. I have since restarted my machine and am once again able to log in to the Mod Portal. Restarting just the browser itself 'may' have also have been enough?

Additionally the search issue that Pi-C reported is now also resolved.

So it's unclear, to me at least, if this issue was directly related to the Mod Portal or just a local issue on machines/browsers that had been accessing the Mod Portal before the update and then had not been restarted since after the update to the Mod Portal was completed.

Either way all is now resolved. Restart your browser/machine if you're also have issues.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Took me a while to reboot my laptop, but now it's working again for me as well. :-)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Pi-C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:54 am
Took me a while
Eternity.jpg
Eternity.jpg (13.44 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Koub wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:25 am
Pi-C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:54 am
Took me a while
Eternity.jpg
I know. But I usually work on the desktop computer and use the laptop mostly at night for watching a movie until I doze off, or early in the morning when the sun shining on the monitor of my main computer makes working there uncomfortable. I don't want to install all pending updates, shut down, reboot, wait for the session to restore, and rearrange all windows on the virtual desktops before that, so it always takes me a day or more between realizing that a restart would be a good idea (usually after a kernel update) and actually rebooting. This time, the period was exceedingly long, I agree on that. :-D

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Still not happy. I'm not at home now, logged in from my parents' laptop with the Tor browser. I just wasted about 15 to 20 minutes on trying to log in on the mod portal and couldn't get past the captcha. Perhaps I made a typo in the password, but I was presented with a long sequence of changing captchas (counted 6 different ones last time, with multiple tiles I should click on each) each time, and when I finally could confirm that I'm not a robot, I was always told that there was suspicious activity coming from my network and I couldn't proceed (yes, I changed circuits between attempts).

Moreover, I only recently noticed that there are captchas because scripts usually are turned off in Firefox (factorio.com is one of the very few sites where I allow them) so the captchas aren't even shown normally. Also, it it really necessary to use captchas from Google? I usually try to avoid using their services wherever I can.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”