i made my mod and need help with various things (mod is finished)

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

i made my mod and need help with various things (mod is finished)

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

i made a mod yesterday but i need to know a bit more clearly what i can and cannot do. (before Uploading) first of all i was looking for a "mod help" section on the forum and even through google, i think this is the section for this.

First of all the mod is finished and a simple one, i modified most of the prototypes of the game since it is a rebalance mod. 2nd i modified/edited copies the steel chest sprite to make 3 ammo box magazine for turrets. so i want to know if that is allowed since the prototypes are the game's prototypes copied in a ".lua" file with it's overwriting values and the name of the mod starts with "000-" to try and load it as early as possible.

am i allowed to post such a mod?

Second, there is those Licenses and a procedure i will probably have to go through, what are they? and what is different for each? i make this mod and do not care if one modifies it and do not credit me so... i just want to not be told my mod is illegal due to the prototypes being modified copies of the game's... (tho a mod should be "modified game files in essence but...)

and Lastly, if this mod is fine, for other mods that this will not play with well, like Food Industries 2 Beta... since i made 5 Different Labs and they need a slot for the "Food Science Packs", if i release a extra mod with just the corrected Labs as extra (Named with a "ZZZ-" to load Last) do i need the Original Authors permission or is that reserved only if i used portions of the mod instead? (interoperability versus porting/using assets... i just put extra slots that accept the item.)

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: i made my mod and need help with various things (mod is finished)

Post by Adamo »

EpicSlayer7666 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:43 am
Hey, before beginning to help you with the technicals, I just wanted to let you know that you don't need to worry. You can copy the prototypes from the base game, change them, over write them, anything, and personally, for the license for my mods, I just use the unlicense, and that means anyone can use it and I don't care. Now, whether or not your mod is going to work how you want it to is a new, more fun, path to follow.

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

the word "license" makes it sounds like potential lawsuit... from 2007 to 2017 i modded Crysis offline but i was modding the base game files hence uploading those would have been illegal like uploading the game... so in this case it looks like i was doing almost the same except i can zip this in a mod file...

tho i only build it for 0.16 for now... i did not realize how close 0.17 is to launching and making mods for a game version that keeps changing is not something people should do for 2 reasons... 1 the game will continuously break your mod and 2, you are introducing bugs in the unstable game that the Devs should not be held responsible 90% of the time... 10% is when it "Should work" but no matter how much tinkering, it will not work due to a vanilla bug...

any how all i changed was all the Enemies health regeneration speed and max health, then the Player's health Regeneration speed as well. (both aimed at 5 minutes healing speed. player 100HP) then the projectiles except turrets do not go through walls. (all behave like the shotgun projectiles) then i modded the science... WHY PUT FURNACES AND MINING DRILLS IN A SCIENCE POTION? i rather put those recipes in the research center! like heat up raw ores and plastics and sulfur in the furnace or test drilling ores in the research labs to learn... like actual science! (imagine the soup with processors and furnaces being mixed with a shovel... this is not witch craft lol)

so in essence most of the game is close so vanilla but, enemies health and spawn rate slower and your health also slower, science making sense... all i missed was the will to fix the "Laser Turrets" not firing "lasers" but instead slingshot flying red cucumbers... lasers should be replaced with the turrets and turrets being the lasers... (i tried but i could not get the turrets to go through walls while hitting enemies... it hits walls and enemies or goes through all... how did they manage?)

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

just to say, i uploaded it when it was 0.16 but when 0.17 came out... i spend my whole day the 27th (my birth day lol) drunk and trying to make the mod... i did not test it and it worked first try... that worries me... now i uploaded it to the mod portal but... like i said i am drunk so i PROBABLY forgot something in there... cosmetics is fine but functional would be a pain... now... can i Reupload the same version of a mod with the fixes or do i need to raise the version number? (in case i messed up...)

thing is i uploaded it 2 hours ago when i was done... so if i need to change stuff... what would happen if i could re-upload the same version and if not, then i would be stuck raising the version... (sucks cause i gave it the same version as Factorio Stable lol... then, how many dots am i allowed or is it only numbers? like 0.17.69 becoming 0.17.69b or 0.17.69.1...)

mod syntax is kind of a trial and error thing i guess...

mod is at https://mods.factorio.com/mod/000-Rebalanced-game

any one willing to test if you can progress to launching and how hand held guns and vehicles and gun turrets plays... no need to do a full debug testing... just playability (is it playable) and do not be afraid to cheat a scenario in... since i cannot use the new Scenario and Map Builder... i cannot put items in chest, it is a mess and is total crap in my hands to play test it in a "fast forward" matter... so i kind of am requesting some one with 0.17 skills to do a quick play through with chests filled with the required stuff... see if research tech are working (give your self lots of potions... the usual) then test weapons if they play well...

i Could do it by next month... but to be honest, 1st i REALLY AM DRUNK (12 beers in me but i never drink... adding Vodka to this makes me inapt to test or learn how to...) and 2nd i really am back into Space Engineer again since i have not played since 2014... testing my own mod while not interested will only give crappy results and choices when trying to change things... so it is like a double Edged sword but it is Radio Active... better some one fully enjoying the game doing the test than I right now doing my best (ruining my Birth day providing a mod lol) at putting some thing together that should make sense... (i probably corrected typos like 200 times writing this... it makes me realize i probably killed the mod dead lol miracle it started first try!)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Happy birthday! :-)
EpicSlayer7666 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 am
can i Reupload the same version of a mod with the fixes or do i need to raise the version number? (in case i messed up...)
Last time I tried to do this, the mod portal refused the file until I raised the version number.
then, how many dots am i allowed or is it only numbers? like 0.17.69 becoming 0.17.69b or 0.17.69.1...)
No letters may be attached, and only three numbers are allowed to my knowledge, so 0.17.70 is your best bet.

Seriously, keeping mod version numbers in sync with Factorio versions may have made sense half a year ago, when 0.17 was just published and the developers released updates almost every day. But do you really want to wait for a new release of the vanilla game until you fix that bug which causes a crash each time you load a save file -- or wouldn't it be better to just forget about the stupid version number and upload a.s.a.p.?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:33 pm
Happy birthday! :-)
EpicSlayer7666 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:22 am
can i Reupload the same version of a mod with the fixes or do i need to raise the version number? (in case i messed up...)
Last time I tried to do this, the mod portal refused the file until I raised the version number.
then, how many dots am i allowed or is it only numbers? like 0.17.69 becoming 0.17.69b or 0.17.69.1...)
No letters may be attached, and only three numbers are allowed to my knowledge, so 0.17.70 is your best bet.

Seriously, keeping mod version numbers in sync with Factorio versions may have made sense half a year ago, when 0.17 was just published and the developers released updates almost every day. But do you really want to wait for a new release of the vanilla game until you fix that bug which causes a crash each time you load a save file -- or wouldn't it be better to just forget about the stupid version number and upload a.s.a.p.?
i rushed on my Birth day making a mod in one day... i barely got it one in 1 mute from midnight... i barely loaded it and it worked... problem being Rebalancing a Game means making changes that represents something more realistic or fun... i simply based my changes from 0.16... hence my weighted decisions might not apply to 0.17 and further... i am in a total modded "Space Engineer" Faze for now... like a kid that keeps saying it is not sweet enough and adding sugar... i do not want to "add too much sugar" in the mod... so people who still have that Factorio passion could better test the Rebalanced one.

well what i mean is, some one who played 0.17 enough to know the Map Editor can cheat in science packs and buildings to at leact launch a rocket to see if i made a wall accidentally... i tried but i cannot add items in chests anymore... the Editor changed too much...

EpicSlayer7666
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EpicSlayer7666 »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:33 pm
... or wouldn't it be better to just forget about the stupid version number and upload a.s.a.p.?
that took time to make sense in my head( reading but not understanding) i think that it would work but i (and still am kind of...) was so drunk... trying to Launch a Rocket in that time frame felt like torture... i think Mechanically Everything "Should" be fine from a objective stand point but at this point it feels like i am a Blind man next to the Devil swearing there is a bridge in front of me and tells me to walk... as long as i did not do through the research and Launched the Rocket... who knows if i made research impossible to make... (recipes that are not yet possibles making research locked accidentally...)

sorry i had to double post... i swear i still have Bacon for fingers... i do 10 typos per words! lol

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”