Summary field can get way too long

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Summary field can get way too long

Post by theRustyKnife »

See my experiment. With lots of newlines and (practicaly) unlimited length, the summary can get stupidly tall.

This wouldn't really be an issue, but the summary will get displayed in full on the mod listing pages (see my profile), which is just wrong. At the very least, the summary should be clamped to some maximum number of lines or something like that on those pages...

Edit: I removed my test description now, but the example mentioned in my reply bellow is still there.
Last edited by theRustyKnife on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Summary field can get way too long

Post by Light »

Or they could write a succinct summary and not a novel to explain their mod like any civilized person. It certainly hasn't been an issue before and likely won't be.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Light wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm
Or they could write a succinct summary and not a novel to explain their mod like any civilized person. It certainly hasn't been an issue before and likely won't be.
Well, there's a more realistic example that's kind of right on the border: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PatchFR. That one takes up a whole monitor height in the search results for me. Which is not only ugly, but also feels unfair to the other mods in the results.

Light
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Light »

Ah, I see what you mean now.

I wasn't aware that it also stretched the main page of mod portal itself. I saw it as only stretching when you opened it or looked for the author. Fortunately this is a rarity that hasn't been abused unnecessarily.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

theRustyKnife wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:48 pm
Light wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:45 pm
Well, there's a more realistic example that's kind of right on the border: https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PatchFR. That one takes up a whole monitor height in the search results for me. Which is not only ugly, but also feels unfair to the other mods in the results.
Hey, I know that mod, because every update is so overwhelmingly visible in the recently updated list. :)

Which is to say, I agree that this should probably have a length limit.

Next stop, a mod named "Small Robots - Just make the two robots a little smaller.", which poses some layout challenges of its own. ;)

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”