What is wrong witgh the mod portal?

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

What is wrong witgh the mod portal?

Post by Yinan »

So I have been playing Factorio again for the last 3-4 days and basically the mod portal never works.

When IG I want to install new mods, it always give me the message "failed to connecto to the mod portal". And I get that message 49 out of 50 tries or so. At some point it did actually connect to it and I could even download mods, so it shouldn't be a version conflict or so.
But for some reason most of the times it doesn't connect and I don't get why (no other error message, no firewall message or anything that indicates that anything gets blocked here).

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Reinazu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: What is wrong witgh the mod portal?

Post by Reinazu »

Pretty much the same here except I just started the game this week in order to play with a group of friends today, only to find out that I can't access the mod portal. The only message I get was something like "This Application has encountered an error" after it hangs for about 20-30 seconds. I tried doing the ingame portal, but there I get an authentication error... I have no idea what to do.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

From personal experience/observation my guess is that the in-game mod portal handles slow connections extremely bad. I mostly get the "failed to connect" error when my connection is otherwise used (i.e. background downloads). Presumably because it always downloads the whole bunch of meta data for all mods instead of just requesting a diff.

So maybe try shutting down other things that use up bandwitdh (i.e. steam, youtube, etc)? Ofc that only works if your connection isn't shitty in the first place because there's just no good ones available where you live (i know how that is...).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Pretty much bad developers letting something slip ;) Amazing developers with the game but their site stuff on the other hand has been a pure joke. Something must have gone bad internally since they had said by now 2.0 portal was going be out. I assume someone got fired and no one else was replaced.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Factorio 0.17
Planned:

GUI rewrite
Mod portal improvement (Rewrite)
Source
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Factorio 0.17
Planned:

GUI rewrite
Mod portal improvement (Rewrite)
Source
Well. To be fair the portal rewrite was originally planned for .15 or at least .16. Not sure why they can't find someone capable of properly doing the job though ^_^. (And the GUI rewrite is already partially in .16 so that's not entirely correct either..../pedantic)
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”