Mod Portal - "MP-Safe" Rating

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Mod Portal - "MP-Safe" Rating

Post by abordoli »

I hope, that like the game, they will be asking for feedback on the new mod portal so that we can get the mod portal that WE want.

For example, I've suggested that there be a field that "declares" that the mod is "MP-Safe", but there is a difference between the author "declaring" and "actual reality" (not to mention that things change as the game version changes, but typically when a mod is MP-Safe, the author tries to keep it that way).

This is why I feel mods should have ratings for both "Single Player" -AND- "Multiplayer" usage".
~B

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Mod Portal - "MP-Safe" Rating

Post by Optera »

Few authors have a dozen friends or several PCs on standby to properly test mods for any possible way it could break in MP.

One way to make sure mods are properly marked as MP safe would be to have players vote on MP compatibility.
Mod authors have to be able to reset votes when they update mods, so old votes won't incorrectly flag a fixed mod.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Yeah, I was thinking of a "reset rating" once a mod is made MP-Safe by the author. Certainly, mods are hard to test which is why I feel that the community can assist with this...just as you mentioned.
~B

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

I was playing and thought of another rating, thus an array of ratings that would be cool to implement:
-Overall Rating (0-5 stars) ... (let this be permanent and non-resettable)
-MP Rating (0-5 stars) ... (allow the author to reset this rating once they get MP fixed whether initially or after a MP-breaking game update; or left alone if it's for SP only)
-Existing Game Add-Ability Rating (0-5 stars) ... NEW!!!

Yes, I know some of this "could" blend into the area of tags, BUT tags are set by authors and do/might not always convey ... reality. Also, tags are best used for general categorizing of mods.

Thoughts?

pingger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pingger »

Wrong Thread! This is how you make extra unnecessary work for the Moderators.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27087
which points to here (where it actually belongs to): viewforum.php?f=189

Please read the rules PRIOR to posting.

And if you had searched that forum, you would have noticed, that much of your idea is already suggested there:
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=51231&p=298782&hi ... ng#p298782
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=38238&p=295115&hi ... ng#p295115
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=38238&p=300736&hi ... er#p300736 (Same Thread, different Post)
viewtopic.php?f=189&t=28369&p=179797&hi ... ng#p179797

Greetings

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Topic moved into Mod Portal Discussion
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by abordoli »

Too funny...It was suggested by Koub to specifically post the suggestion here. I'd link the thread, but I'm sure you can find it at the tip of your fingers.

Peace,
~B

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”