My wishes for Mod Portal 2.0

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: My wishes for Mod Portal 2.0

Post by hitzu »

• Ability to bundle mods into collections.
  • Version consistency between them and the game (optional), i.e. update mods and the game only after all the mods in the subscribed collections are updated.
  • Easy one-button mod synchronization in multiplayer.
  • Likes and ratings.
  • Sorting mods by appearance, updates, popularity, rating, and relevance.
  • Auto or semi-auto subscription on dependencies.
  • More mod tags.
  • Allow authors to embed Patreon/PayPal and other payment buttons.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

battlefieldaces wrote:One of the things that would greatly benefit the mod portal is the removal of the login requirement. It does not make sense to have to log in just to download a mod.
There is an extremely simple solution here, buy the game. Why should they waste money for bandwidth for people who never gave them any?

Anoyomouse
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Anoyomouse »

• Allow multiple people to upload a mod on the author's behalf
  • Add moderators to the project
I'm halfway around the world from my maintainer, and he has to wait for me to do the push to the mod portal, it would be nice if he could edit the mod's details and do releases, as he's pretty much the one who's actually doing most of the work (at the moment)
  • Allowing people to follow discussions, or a way to email the author on posts
I'm constatnly missing discussions on the mod portal, and forget to check the discussions, any way we can tie it into something that we can get notifications of events?
Hacker (n): Someone who makes furniture with an axe

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

• Closed Beta support so that you can distrubute automatic updates to your testers.
  • Synching/Replacing the mod portal "discussion" page with a new subforum. Because having to check yet another page (forum, portal, github, etcpp) all the time is tedious and leads to mod authors overlooking posts.
  • +5 @ ability to rename/migrate mods to different names (differnt authors sounds difficult without the consent of the original author)
  • +10 @ link to forum profile for picture instead of a 3rd party service (gosh i hate those spying avatar "services". yes i'm looking at you gravatar)
  • +1 @ ability to update individual mods instead of all at once (this is vital to prevent certain incompatibilities, just look at minecraft and their intercompatibility chaos.)
------------------------
Mooncat wrote:
  • Ability to use URL to post mod images - useful if the images are already on other websites e.g. imgur.
I'm actually against that, here's why: allowing 3rd party hosting generally leads to everyone using a different hosting service. And loading images from 10+ different sites makes loading slower. Also more importantly with 3rd parties there's no guarantee that they'll continue to play nice and allow direct linking. From experience such links often expire and the image is completely removed or replaced by a garbage image/advertisement for the hoster. The only way i'd be ok with this would be if the mod portal would automatically download the picture from third party providers and rehost it properly on the portal servers.
------------------------
battlefieldaces wrote:One of the things that would greatly benefit the mod portal is the removal of the login requirement. It does not make sense to have to log in just to download a mod.
You have to loging to prove you paid for the hosting service that the mod portal provides. Bandwidth is not free. :geek:
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

artig4n
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by artig4n »

The Mod portal rarely works for me in-game. It just times out. I use the web site.

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

artig4n wrote:The Mod portal rarely works for me in-game. It just times out. I use the web site.
When have you tried the in-game mod browser last?

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

artig4n wrote:The Mod portal rarely works for me in-game. It just times out. I use the web site.
hmm for me it is working faster than ever lately, maybe give it a try again.

But some changes converted a gif to png for me!?

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

HanziQ wrote:
When have you tried the in-game mod browser last?
Frankly speaking the in-game mod portal works even worse than the web version.

provet
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by provet »

Advanced search!
search/filter by;
compatible factorio version
author
date
tags
name