[Mod Website] Mod search might show results of old searches

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Faark
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Mod Website] Mod search might show results of old searches

Post by Faark »

Tldr: Web mod search overwrites new search results with old search results if old response took long. Annoying

This issue is about the search function of the mod portal/web site at https://mods.factorio.com/

The search function waits for search responses from the server and displays results. That's fine. There can be multiple search requests be active at the same time. That's fine. The client/browser should display results of the latest started query that already got an response. It doesn't. It wrongly displays the last result it received, even if that search request is older and just got delayed because of a bad internet connection or busy mod server (current update ftw). Here is an example image:

See the timeline. I searched for "train", 3 seconds later changed my mind to search for "bullet". The "bullet" request finished after 300ms and results were displayed. A few seconds later the original "train" request finally finished as well after 10seconds total. At that point the client should discard the "train" result and keep displaying "bullet". Instead it displayed that outdated result, as shown in the screenshot. Ofc I usually don't notice that happen and wonder why I get wrong results or the results like to change to those old ones just as I'm about to click something, making this kinda annoying.

I know it's not that big of an issue, especially once the post update rush against the server ends, making them more responsive again. I still hope it's an easy and quick thing to fix for you guys.

Hope this is the correct place to report this issue. This not really related website issue didn't get a lot of attention so far. If it isn't please direct me to somewhere more appropriate.

Thanks

Other mandatory bug report info:
Browser is Firefox 54.0a2 (Dev Edition, 64-bit, running on Win10 64-bit)
Website doesn't report a version, it's whatever was live at Tue, 25 Apr 2017 20:00:00 GMT

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”