The mod portal was a nice experiment... end it please?

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
abordoli
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The mod portal was a nice experiment... end it please?

Post by abordoli »

The problem, now, with THIS thread is that, imo, it has become too large for the devs to go through it and take any pointers for suggestions for the new version.

I just hope, that like the game, they will be asking for feedback on the new mod portal so that we can get the mod portal that WE want.

For example, I've suggested that there be a field that "declares" that the mod is "MP-Safe", but there is a difference between the author "declaring" and "actual reality" (not to mention that things change as the game version changes, but typically when a mod is MP-Safe, the author tries to keep it that way).

This is why I feel mods should have ratings for both "Single Player" -AND- "Multiplayer" usage".
~B

Boneslayer2
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Boneslayer2 »

Koub wrote:As you said, workshop support would lock non Steam users out of the party, because, why bother those who aren't on Steam ? Steam users would stay together, and it would create a 2-speed game.
I fully support the fact that whatever ecosystem is built around the game, all will be able to benefit equally from it.
You could have a system so it syncs a non steam users free account to the website similar to you have it working in reverse, this would somehow give them access to the game as such a steam key that allows them to download and is linked in the portal. Also this would give them access to the workshop.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Boneslayer2 wrote:
Koub wrote:As you said, workshop support would lock non Steam users out of the party, because, why bother those who aren't on Steam ? Steam users would stay together, and it would create a 2-speed game.
I fully support the fact that whatever ecosystem is built around the game, all will be able to benefit equally from it.
You could have a system so it syncs a non steam users free account to the website similar to you have it working in reverse, this would somehow give them access to the game as such a steam key that allows them to download and is linked in the portal. Also this would give them access to the workshop.
Most people don't have Steam not because acquiring a Steam account is in someway difficult

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

Klonan wrote: Most people don't have Steam not because acquiring a Steam account is in someway difficult
Some people don't have Steam because they hate Valve and think they should have gone out of business years ago for their shitty ethics. Plus this in my particular case: I haven't tried in five years, but last time I tried to run the Steam client, my firewall nearly crashed the system it was working to save from it.

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

Any updates on the replacement? I've written 3 enterprise-level and numerous departmental-level web applications for a major global corporation since this was originally posted.</tongue-in-cheek>
Last edited by deer_buster on Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

deer_buster wrote:Any updates on the replacement? I've written 3 enterprise-level and numerous departmental-level web applications for a major global corporation since this was originally posted.
And did you sell over 1 million copies of a computer game which you develope and bug fix at the same time?
Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

deer_buster
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by deer_buster »

steinio wrote:
deer_buster wrote:Any updates on the replacement? I've written 3 enterprise-level and numerous departmental-level web applications for a major global corporation since this was originally posted.
And did you sell over 1 million copies of a computer game which you develope and bug fix at the same time?
Worse, I develop and support (including bug fixing) for over 150k END USERS, not computer nerds like us...that HAS to be good for at least a 10x multiplier....</tongue-in-cheek>

oh, and I guess I forgot to insert my closing tag at the end of my original post (bug fixing this now) "</tongue-in-cheek>". Don't want people to get butt-hurt by the comment. :lol:

nepp95
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nepp95 »

deer_buster wrote:Any updates on the replacement? I've written 3 enterprise-level and numerous departmental-level web applications for a major global corporation since this was originally posted.</tongue-in-cheek>
Can't be much good if you wrote those by yourself in such short time ^^
I'm sure the devs have taken note of everything said in this topic and are working on it. Just hang on.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Klonan wrote:
Boneslayer2 wrote:
Most people don't have Steam not because acquiring a Steam account is in someway difficult
Hey Buddy who cares. We given you guys tons and tons of time. I spend more time trying to use the mod portal then playing.

Lets do something about this now. Hire someone at least who knows how to run decent web servers. Knowing you guys your using default configured Apache or nginx and not tweaked and customized for the correct use. Do something about it please and do it soon.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”