The mod portal was a nice experiment... end it please?

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: The mod portal was a nice experiment... end it please?

Post by Klonan »

Kane wrote:Called Workshop Support :P
Workshop support would still require the mod portal

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Klonan wrote:
Kane wrote:Called Workshop Support :P
Workshop support would still require the mod portal
So you will add Steam workshop support? :shock:

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

Betep3akata wrote:+ 1 vote for the mod portal because I prefer a ticket based boards to arrange tasks and discuss suggestions. It saves my time in contradistinction to long threads on forums.
People who want what you want, which includes myself, can host their mod source code on github and use Issues there.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Mod portal got spammed with shit mods in the last days - see
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/wormmus/ ... -challenge
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/obnauticus/12xHarder

Could the moderators please clean up a bit or allow deletion of mods for uploaders so they can clean up their shit by itself.

It don't looks very serious.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

LoSboccacc
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LoSboccacc »

exhibit B: there's load of mod spammed on the portal, not even for fake internet points https://mods.factorio.com/?q=endless

now you try and coordinate a multiplayer game, telling people what mods to install. madness.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

A good first step would be to batch delete everything that doesn't have screenshots or at least a link to a forum topic.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Zeblote wrote:A good first step would be to batch delete everything that doesn't have screenshots or at least a link to a forum topic.
Nope forum topic is no requirement for mod portal.
Screenshot i don't know - looking at my mods i don't upload screenshots if not necessary.

You should guess about other characteristics.

Greetings steinio

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

I have already given up on counting the number of mods that extend the range of underground belts. :?

I think the main problem is people don't search for existing mods before creating their own ones.
Adding more requirements for uploading a mod to Mod Portal may encourage people using alternative websites, which should be avoided.
Maybe.... a simple reminder before upload?
Before you submit a new mod, you may want to check these first:
  • Is you mod unique? Is there already a mod that do the same things as yours?
  • Is your mod fun? Make sure your mod does not hurt anyone's feeling.
[ ] My mod is unique and fun!

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Mooncat wrote:Adding more requirements for uploading a mod to Mod Portal may encourage people using alternative websites, which should be avoided.
Make the mod portal sign mod archives and the game refuse to load unsigned ones :D

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

Mooncat wrote:I have already given up on counting the number of mods that extend the range of underground belts. :?

I think the main problem is people don't search for existing mods before creating their own ones.
Adding more requirements for uploading a mod to Mod Portal may encourage people using alternative websites, which should be avoided.
Maybe.... a simple reminder before upload?
Before you submit a new mod, you may want to check these first:
  • Is you mod unique? Is there already a mod that do the same things as yours?
  • Is your mod fun? Make sure your mod does not hurt anyone's feeling.
[ ] My mod is unique and fun!
If only you could delete duplicate mods.... I have one of at least two toolbar extension mods.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

Geertje123
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Geertje123 »

I don't see "duplicate" mods as a problem, for two reasons.
First, they are not duplicates. They may serve the same purpose, but they are coded differently.
Second, it should be okay for people to think; "I like this mod, but I think I can make it better in terms of speed and usability", which comes back to the first point. They serve the same purpose but are different.

Sure, some developers may have not checked the mod portal and found out that what they made already existed, but that does not mean it should not be allowed on there.

I think mod developers should have this freedom.

Identitools
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Identitools »

The mod portal have been lagging for days if not completely unavailable. Can we have an official answer to that? This is becoming a really worrying problem :/

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Identitools wrote:The mod portal have been lagging for days if not completely unavailable. Can we have an official answer to that? This is becoming a really worrying problem :/
HanziQ wrote:It's overloaded, unfortunately not much I can do with this version. New version is in development.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

sparr
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sparr »

daniel34 wrote:
HanziQ wrote:It's overloaded, unfortunately not much I can do with this version. New version is in development.
Fingers crossed that it gets integrated with the forums. Having discussions on the mod portal is terrible. Every mod should get a dedicated thread on the forum until it reaches some threshold of popularity, then get promoted to its own forum, then those promoted to subforums of a per-author forum at a higher threshold.

featherwinglove
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by featherwinglove »

I am still getting a forbidden message when attempting to upload my tiny, tiny Pollution Damage mod. Why?
Attachments
PollutionDamage_0.0.3.zip
Updated to 0.15
(1.99 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

Pontiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pontiac »

I, for one, like the idea of having a discussion based on the mod itself, tagged WITH the mod download page, instead of buried within a forum of many mod discussions.

If I have trouble with Mod A, I don't want to have to filter through posts about Mod B to Z. I can open up the Mod A page, and see the discussion going on there. If Mod P is super Popular, has many many posts, it makes it much more difficult to find information about Mod A. Then it comes to people who post subject headers of "PLEASE HELP!". Honestly, I thought it pretty innovative to keep discussions about the mod, with the mod, on the mod portal. And with the number of mods out there, there's no way a forum administrator is going to open up new forum sections just for the mod. At that point, you're back to the existing mod portal.

Having the in-game mod download and install function is frig'n awesome. The only upgrade I'd want to it is have the ability to force download a mod, ignoring the "version number", or filter out for mods that work with the current running version of Factorio. I don't need to see mods that haven't been upgraded from 0.13, unless they're known to work with 0.15+. Or have the option to filter down to how old the mod is. Something that hasn't been touched in 9 months? Probably not interested.

Also, I can't count the number of games I've seen that support mods that do forum only posts. Especially the older mods of a particular game. The "OP" ends up getting lazy and posts "New update here!" on page 345 of 765. You ask for an update, and you're told to go back a few pages! AND, then there's the whole downloading through pure advertisement sites that want me to pay them to get "priority downloads". Like, geeze.. I'm downloading a meg worth of a file. The JAVA advertisements you're popping up are larger! I know of a couple of mods that are ad-blocked by at LEAST three sites before you get to the meat and potatoes. Frig'n ridiculous.

Pontiac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pontiac »

sparr wrote:
Betep3akata wrote:+ 1 vote for the mod portal because I prefer a ticket based boards to arrange tasks and discuss suggestions. It saves my time in contradistinction to long threads on forums.
People who want what you want, which includes myself, can host their mod source code on github and use Issues there.
Source code, fine, if the developer knows enough about source code control, version control, etc. Tracker.. mmmm.. Very iffy.

The question I have for this is why a developer of a mod has to learn how to use a new tool, when all they want is to deal with lua code? Some are not advanced enough to even begin to grasp the concept of what a fork is, how GIT handles versions of code, what a pull request is, etc. They don't want to know, they don't need to know, so why force it?

I get often times reinventing the wheel is a bad idea. Github does rather well in both cases, as far as a code repo and ticket tracker, don't get me wrong. However, if the Mod Portal were to link into GitHub API to deal with the tracking services, first, the Factorio crew wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel, they'd just have to build a new axle, second, the mod authors just have one place to store their stuff.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

featherwinglove wrote:I dunno... ...Github might not be around much longer.
Are you sure a Breitbart article is what you want to go off of?

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Patashu wrote:
featherwinglove wrote:I dunno... ...Github might not be around much longer.
Are you sure a Breitbart article is what you want to go off of?
Whats worse is this was like a fucking year ago too.

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”