[Guide] Modders' guide to using mod portal (Edit, Delete...)

A place to talk about the official Factorio mod portal (https://mods.factorio.com)
aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Guide] Modders' guide to using mod portal (Edit, Delete...)

Post by aubergine18 »

Changing title, etc, of existing mod

If you need to change title, version, short description or anything else that seems un-editable, just edit the info.json of your mod and upload a new version (via the Edit tab on your existing mod). The mod portal shows the values from the most recently uploaded version of your mod.

You don't need to create a new mod page! (Unless you need to change the mod name, which is also part of the URL on the mod forum, in which case you will need to make a new mod page).

Main description

The large text box when first uploading or editing a mod can be customised with Github Flavoured Markdown (another guide), including emoji.

If you want to include images, a good image host is: http://imgur.com - sometimes an image can convey what your mod does far better than a wall of text.

Discussions tab

The discussions tab doesn't create email notifications, so unless you're planning to check it regularly, it might be better just putting an "Announcement" message in there telling visitors to instead use the forums or github to get in touch with you.

If you do want to use the Discussions tab, there is a workaround solution.

Deleting a mod from the portal

No way to do it currently, but it looks like Klonan has inadvetently voluntered to handle requests :p

Note: It might be possible to simply delete all the downloads (via edit tab) -there's a little X that appears top-right corner of the file boxes. Does deleting all the files delete the mod?

Changing your avatar image

Associate your email address with an image over at http://gravatar.com
Last edited by ssilk on Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: changed topic to fit subject better
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Guide] Modders' guide to using mod portal

Post by theRustyKnife »

Do you know how to change profile picture on the mod portal? You seem to have changed it somehow, I just can't figure out how...
TRK

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Associate an image with your email address at http://gravatar.com
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

theRustyKnife
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by theRustyKnife »

Oh great, thanks!

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [Guide] Modders' guide to using mod portal (Edit, Delete...)

Post by Optera »

How do you format images?

Code: Select all

![alt text](https://github.com/adam-p/markdown-here/raw/master/src/common/images/icon48.png "Logo Title Text 1") Test Logo Desciption
it centers the image and puts the text in a new line.
Last edited by Optera on Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenpen
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Shenpen »

Props for using the awesome phrase "inadvetently voluntered"! :lol:

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Shenpen wrote:Props for using the awesome phrase "inadvetently voluntered"! :lol:
Props to OP for trying, but it only would be awesome with proper spelling: inadvertently volunteered.

drbert
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by drbert »

aubergine18 wrote:Changing title, etc, of existing mod

If you need to change title, version, short description or anything else that seems un-editable, just edit the info.json of your mod and upload a new version (via the Edit tab on your existing mod). The mod portal shows the values from the most recently uploaded version of your mod.

You don't need to create a new mod page! (Unless you need to change the mod name, which is also part of the URL on the mod forum, in which case you will need to make a new mod page).
Doesn't work... The mod portal still shows the values from my first upload :oops:

HanziQ
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by HanziQ »

You can now directly edit the title, homepage and summary.

drbert
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by drbert »

Thanks you for amazingly fast support! :)

ixu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ixu »

Initially, the field "description" from the info.json was used for the field "Summary" in the Modportal for my mod. Once I had to change the "Summary" in the Modportal directly for reasons. Since then, the "description" field from the info.json has been ignored. How can I get back to the original state here?
Mods: ingteb, ixuClock, ixuAutoSave, NoCheating, hardCrafting (Maintainer) and more
Desperately tried to implement redo :)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

ixu wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:05 pm
Initially, the field "description" from the info.json was used for the field "Summary" in the Modportal for my mod. Once I had to change the "Summary" in the Modportal directly for reasons. Since then, the "description" field from the info.json has been ignored. How can I get back to the original state here?
Afaik, it only pays attention to it on initial upload. Every time after you need to manually update it (if it needs updating/changing).
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Mod portal Discussion”